Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iChat AV/ Tiger/ Netgear DG834G

iChat AV/ Tiger/ Netgear DG834G
AlanApple
Jul 24, 2005, 06:48 AM

Hi folks,

Frustrating one. Having a problem with iChat AV using Tiger and a Netgear DG834G. Text works but the Audio and Video do not (although I have had both working with one of the fellas I chat to). The normal problem is I invite someone to video chat and it starts to connect and then says I did not respond. Alternatively someone will invite me to a vid or audio chat and it comes up I did not respond even though it never gave me the option.

Anyone encountered this and found a fix?

AA
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein
----------
iMac G5 17", 2GHZ
G4 1 Ghz iBook
Powerbook G3 Firewire
iPod - 5 gig.
iPod Photo

Chimpmaster
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 24, 2005, 10:52 PM

I am having EXACTLY the same problem with the same device.

So is my friend, who also has the netgear wireless router.

I dont know if there is a fix, but its damned annoying.

Ive tried every firewall config under the sun, both hardware and software, as per the apple tech docs, and nothing seems to help.

Ive even turned off my router, wireless router and software firewalls and it still doesnt work.

I smell a rat here. Must be a specific issue with this wireless router.

The only fixes I have left to try, and selling the thing and buying an airport device (apparently it works out of the box) and deleting and reinstalling ichat (ive heard this can help).

Please if someone knows something about this problem could you help us?
MacBook Alu, 13", 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 256MB video
G5 Imac, 17", 1.9Ghz, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB video, built in isight, airport and bluetooth
Indigo iBook, 366mhz; 320MB RAM; CD; FW; Airport

Chimpmaster
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 24, 2005, 10:53 PM

I am having EXACTLY the same problem with the same device.

So is my friend, who also has the netgear wireless router.

I dont know if there is a fix, but its damned annoying.

Ive tried every firewall config under the sun, both hardware and software, as per the apple tech docs, and nothing seems to help.

Ive even turned off my router, wireless router and software firewalls and it still doesnt work.

I smell a rat here. Must be a specific issue with this wireless router.

The only fixes I have left to try, and selling the thing and buying an airport device (apparently it works out of the box) and deleting and reinstalling ichat (ive heard this can help).

Please if someone knows something about this problem could you help us?
G5 Imac, 17", 1.9Ghz, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB video, built in isight, airport and bluetooth

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2005, 12:44 AM

I think you have to open a bunch of ports on your netgear. I know it is on Apples support site if you search.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Chimpmaster
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 25, 2005, 03:04 AM

I think you are referring to the following article.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93208

Ive tried it and it doesnt work

Krypton
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2005, 04:38 AM

These are the key ones:

16384 to 16403
You need to enter a range from one to the other in the Netgear web interface.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jul 25, 2005, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Krypton
You need to enter a range from one to the other in the Netgear web interface.
Under what setting? The only way I can get file transfers to work is if I turn off the firewall completely. (I can't remember which model I have off-hand though. I'll check when I get home.)

Can anyone who has done this successfully post some screengrabs of the appropriate screens?

AlanApple  (op)
Jul 26, 2005, 04:10 PM

Small update. Netgear went in and opened all the ports according to the directions from Apple. I have managed to chat to two people so far who were also using Tiger. So at the moment the problem seems to be that I am unable to chat with anyone who is not using Tiger!
----------
iMac G5 17", 2GHZ
G4 1 Ghz iBook
Powerbook G3 Firewire
iPod - 5 gig.
iPod Photo

DarwinX
Jul 26, 2005, 04:28 PM

I had the same issue last week when I was trying to record a Podcast with my cousin.

He has his mini, I had my PowerBook G4 and both were running Tiger. I experienced the same item only I have a D-link router. Both software firewalls were opened. Is the issue solely in the router config? I thought of it at the time but just felt it easier to run Skype at the time, but I would be interested to hear further discussion on this topic.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Aug 3, 2005, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by AlanApple
Small update. Netgear went in and opened all the ports according to the directions from Apple. I have managed to chat to two people so far who were also using Tiger. So at the moment the problem seems to be that I am unable to chat with anyone who is not using Tiger!
? How so? They set it up for you? Or was it a firmware update?

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2005, 04:50 AM

...and just incase anybody out there is running a Postgres database (like I do), here's a strange one:

You can't run Postgres and have an iChat video conference at the same time !

Apple chose to use the same port number that Postgres uses, for it's video connection. There is a workaround, which is to compile Postgres with a different port configured, but this is a boo boo by Apple.

AlanApple  (op)
Aug 4, 2005, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
? How so? They set it up for you? Or was it a firmware update?
The Netgear Wireless Router has a remote login function which is great for people like me who do not know all the ins and outs of ports etc You give them your password and they can just go in while you are speaking to them on the phone and fix any problems.
----------
iMac G5 17", 2GHZ
G4 1 Ghz iBook
Powerbook G3 Firewire
iPod - 5 gig.
iPod Photo

mintcake
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 4, 2005, 09:34 AM

Oh fantastic. So I've just persuaded my parents, 4,000 miles away, to invest in an upgrade to Tiger, talked them through installation, reconfigured iChat AV, purely so that we can benefit from the improved video quality in our regular videochats - only to find that now it won't work any more? And the only solution is to try to talk them through the configuration of their router?

*not a happy bunny*

edit - for the record, their router is a D-Link model and it isn't wireless. But we have exactly the problem as described above.

further edit - what I don't understand is why the ports being used would have changed from one version of iChat to the other? We had no problems at all while they were using Panther, it was only when they also upgraded to Tiger that the problem arose. So the new iChat uses a different set of ports?
( Last edited by mintcake; Aug 4, 2005 at 09:54 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules