Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Mail keeps on downloading old mail.

Mail keeps on downloading old mail.
Q27
Feb 9, 2006, 11:25 PM

I don't know if this is more a problem with mail or my mail provider. I have an email account through my college and it is a webmail based service with a POP and SMTP server to download your emails. I use the POP and SMTP servers to download everything to my local machine but it still retains a copy online. Recently I went to download my email and I got like 900 emails in my inbox. All copies of everything I have ever received. Then today I got the same exact thing, it is a bit annoying that I now have about 2000 unread messages that are duplicates of stuff in my mailbox. Any help would be appreciated.

AmzicAtmat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2006, 06:16 AM

I think that can be a problem with the mail provider. I once shared my email address across two computers, powerbook and imac. I would use the imac mostly, and mail would work OK. Then I would go use the powerbook and fetch mail with mail.app on it, so when I came back to the iMac it would redownload all the mail on the server again. Probably because the POP server is what keeps track of new mails when your mail.app asks it to send a list of new messages.

Instead you could set mail.app to delete messages from the server after just one day or straight away so then there are only a small number of emails on there to fetch. It might stop the mail server or mail.app from getting confused and downloading duplicates. Those settings are in the Accounts preferences underneath Advanced.

Forum Links
Forum Rules