Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > iTools only "partially" functional

iTools only "partially" functional
dbogdan
Jan 17, 2001, 05:31 AM

Here�s one for the head-scratchers of the world� I successfully installed iTools in January Y2K on my revA iMac.

Since then, I've "upgraded" to the Summer Y2K DVSE with lots more RAM, etc. I can access my iDisk, but that's about it�

Despite the fact that I have access to my iDisk via the chooser, it seems that iTools is not totally installed on my Summer Y2K iMac DVSE� Here is the paradox�

When I go to Apple's Home page and click on the iTools Tab, I am greeted with the "iTools. At Your Service" Page, inviting me to either click on the "Free Sign Up" button or "Members Click Here" button. If I click on the "Free Sign Up" button, I am directed to the "iTools. Get Started in 3 Easy Steps!" page. Okey Dokey� I guess I'll have to reinstall iTools� If I click on the "Members Click Here" button, I'm sent to a page telling me that there are several reasons why I need to reinstall iTools� a) I'm signing in on a different machine than I signed in on before (like� duh!); b) I've installed a new browser (about 6 months ago); or c) (I just love this one!) the iTools software needs to be reinstalled. Talk about redundancy from the redundancy department again!!! I have but one option, to "continue," which leads me once back again to the "iTools. Get Started in 3 Easy Steps!" page. I guess I'm just destined to be here, I reason. So I go for broke and decide to download the iTools Installer program (for the nth time)

Step 1 proceeds just fine. I download the iTools Installer. I put it on my desktop.

Step 2 seems to go just swimmingly, as it places the plug-in into the correct folder of Communicator 4.76.

Then the next window opens, but instead of the expected Step 3 (signing up or signing in), I'm back to the "iTools At Your Service" page again. This endless loop just continues to plague me. I can never access the sign-up page or sign in as a member who's already registered. Now here's where it gets somewhat wiggy and weird�

I can access my iDisk just fine on my iMac. The procedure to install works just fine on OSX using Microslop's Internet Explorer. It actually works just fine on OS9.1 using IE5.0. It doesn't appear to be a System glitch that's causing the problem, but somehow something within Netscape Communicator 4.76. I've enabled JavaScript. My cookies are enabled. The only apparent things that I can't access in iTools are HomePage, KidSafe or eMail functions. I can click on the iCards tab and get access to features underneath the tab. I can click on iReview and get access to features underneath the tab. But whenever I click on the iTools tab, I get no features underneath the tab. All I get is that endlessly annoying loop that I described above.

For all the techno-weenies out there who will (no doubt) be rushing to assist me, here are some pertinent specifications:

Summer Y2K iMac DVSE
256MG of RAM (VM is off)
File Sharing is activated;
Clicking on AppleShare in the Chooser assures me that AppleTalk is active (V7.6.2)
I'm running Netscape Communicator v4.76
JavaScript is enabled. I'm set to "accept all cookies"
My 30MEG Hard Drive is partitioned, with the Applications folder on the same partition as OS9.1 system startup.
I'm using a RAM Disk (Rambuctious) for storing Netscape's Cache (though I've turned it off to see if it was the problem� it made no difference in the outcome).
Within Netscape's Preferences for applications, it lists "ITools Commands" in the Description field; The MIME Type is listed as �application/x-itool� (without the quotes of course); and the suffix is listed as "itl". Below, it says to handle via "Plug in: iTools Plug-in" and the file information section has the Mac File and "use this MIME type for outgoing attachments" both checked�

In short, everthing **seems** to be set up correctly as far as Communicator is concerned, except I only have partial functionality of the iTools Software� Am I crazy or has anyone else experienced this sort of mixed signal weirdness?

ANY suggestions would be highly appreciated. It�s not that I think I've "gotta" have iTools running (as I've done quite nicely without it for the better part of the last year), but now it's a challenge to discover what is causing this abortive process to occur� On the other hand, I'd like to be able to access other people's "public folders," or pick up my alternate e-mail address like iTools claims I should be able to. I'd also like to be able to whip out a snappy home page should I get the hankering� you know, like, **use** the freakin' program!!!

I'm looking forward to some feedback from ya'll out there. Hopefully I'm just having the dreaded brain-bubble and am missing something really elementary. After all, I am pushing two-score plus 1 in a few month's time

suprz
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2001, 08:38 AM

i'm having almost the same problem, (see my thread "help, itools is driving me nuts!,") in this forum...there is something weird going on with itools.......

------------------
" I think,
therefore....IMAC
"The only time that man gets to actually leave a physical mark upon this earth is in death, and even then, it is only a gravestone proclaiming his demise"

Forum Links
Forum Rules