Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Can't burn bootable 9.0.4 CD-R (but 9.0 OK)

Can't burn bootable 9.0.4 CD-R (but 9.0 OK)
scooper1
Apr 20, 2000, 09:30 AM

I have always been able to easily burn bootable CD-R using Toast 3.5.7, with all systems up to and including 9.0. No such CD_R has ever failed me. But, whenever I burn a bootable CD-R containing Mac OS 9.0.4, any attempt to boot from it results in a crash immediately after the Welcome message appears, with a message stating than "the File System Map is inconsistent". I immediately invested in Toast Deluxe 4.0.2, but the result is the same. I cannot burn a bootable CD-R containg Mac OS 9.0.4.
I've tried numerous forms of temporary partition including Toast's, DiskCopy's, and a true separate volume. I've tried with both HFS and HFS+ formatted partitions. My Mac is a G4/400 (PCI Graphics) running Mac OS 9.0.4. Burner is a TEAC CD-R56S-4.
Any suggestions?

outZider
Apr 20, 2000, 11:22 AM

What's rather odd is I tried to do the same. It has 9.0.4 with Norton, etc... It boots just fine on the new G4's we have in the office, but when I try to use it on my iMac DV, it gives me that "File Map" error.

What the heck?

- oZ
- oZ

jbmelby
Apr 21, 2000, 10:02 AM

Originally posted by outZider:
What's rather odd is I tried to do the same. It has 9.0.4 with Norton, etc... It boots just fine on the new G4's we have in the office, but when I try to use it on my iMac DV, it gives me that "File Map" error.

What the heck?

- oZ
Remember that when you create a system folder on one machine and then try to run it on a computer of a different type, you may well get such a message because the installer installs to a certain extent a folder that is tailor-made for the specific machine on which the boot volume was created.

There is an option on the OS 9 installer CD (if you choose a customized installation) that allows you to create a "universal" system folder--but to the best of my recollection, the 9.0.4 updater contains no such option, and this may be the source of your problem.

McKenna
Apr 22, 2000, 01:34 AM

Here is something that might help:
http://askal.asecureserver.com:591/F...n=291&-Skip=6& -find

--Tom

scooper1
Apr 22, 2000, 03:21 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jbmelby:
Remember that when you create a system folder on one machine and then try to run it on a computer of a different type, you may well get such a message because the installer installs to a certain extent a folder that is tailor-made for the specific machine on which the boot volume was created.

Not relevant at this stage, I believe, as the burned CD-R won't even start up the G4 on which it was made. Also, I took a 9.0.0 System Folder which had worked well on CD-R and updated it for this purpose. The same System Folder on a HD partition starts up the G4 just fine.

scooper1
Apr 22, 2000, 03:24 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by McKenna:
Here is something that might help:
[URL=http://askal.asecureserver.com... etc etc]
--Tom

Tom, your URL didn't work for me. I got an "unexpected error" apparently from FileMakerPro. Could you give me another clue please?

Steve.

Dispiacere
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 22, 2000, 07:21 AM

I haven't been able to make a bootable CD since 8.6...I go thru the steps and come up with a CD that won't boot. Toast 4 dlx too...not to mention the update probs with that one.

scooper1
Apr 22, 2000, 10:31 AM

Finally found the URL given by McKenna. This is the answer, as provided by Ask Al at the Alsoft web site:

Question
Why do I get a "file system map inconsistent" error when trying to start up from a CD I made with a Mac OS 9.0.4 System folder?

Answer
Mac OS 9.0.4 is installed by first installing Mac OS 9.0 through 9.0.3 and then installing the Mac OS 9 Update. The update installer does not complete the installation process. Additional changes are needed to the contents of the System folder. Special programming in the startup code will make the necessary additional changes to the System folder on the first restart.
Because a CD is read-only, it cannot be modified. Therefore, if you create a CD containing a freshly installed Mac OS 9.0.4 System folder, the special startup code will not be able to make the necessary modifications. You'll need to start up from the Mac OS 9.0.4 System folder at least one time before you burn a CD that contains it.

Thanks Al!

Steve

McKenna
Apr 22, 2000, 01:43 PM

Oops! I guess that I didn't copy and paste the entire URL.

The above quote from the Alsoft was the one that I trying to direct you towards.

Even though you forgot to say it to me, you're welcome.

--Tom McKenna

McKenna
Apr 22, 2000, 01:45 PM

Oops! I guess that I didn't copy and paste the entire URL.

The above quote from the Alsoft was the one that I trying to direct you towards.

--Tom McKenna

scooper1
Apr 23, 2000, 03:32 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by McKenna:
--Tom McKenna

Didn't forget, Tom -- was just waiting to actually try out the recommendation first. Have now done so -- it works! Have sent you a private message.

Cheers,
Steve.

Forum Links
Forum Rules