Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New G4s: Wait or...?

New G4s: Wait or...?
jca
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 16, 2001, 05:49 PM

Now that the Dual 533 G4 is being phased out:
http://www.ogrady.com/story.lasso?newsID=1119

I was wondering if I should wait until Macworld for a new G4. I haven't been able to decide between the G4 733 or the Dual 533. (The Superdrive is very appealing, but the Dual 533 is better suited towards my Photoshop needs.)

I don't know that I can afford a new (rumored) dual 733 model (or whatever dangerous combo they come up with next). Will we see a significant price decrease on the Dual 533 because of it's EOL (End of Life)? Should I wait until Macworld?
jca

marc
Forum Regular
Jun 16, 2001, 05:57 PM

If you can wait a month, I would. Even if you can not afford the new machines, the old ones should be available at a discount. HTH

<mr. blur>
Jun 16, 2001, 11:51 PM

i second that opinion.

if you don't *need* it immediately, then hang on for just this little bit longer. it could very well be that the rumoured dual 733 will sell for the same as the dual 533, or very close to it.

i've been putting off my purchase for a while now, waiting for a faster dual....i get the feeling that i will have my credit card out of my wallet before steve finishes his keynote.

jca  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 17, 2001, 12:04 AM

Originally posted by &lt;mr. blur&gt;:
<STRONG>i've been putting off my purchase for a while now, waiting for a faster dual....i get the feeling that i will have my credit card out of my wallet before steve finishes his keynote.</STRONG>
I've never ordered a "just announced" Mac from the Apple store before. How well do they usually do on time until delivery? How long a wait should I expect if they announce new G4s at Macworld in July and I order that same day?

Thanks for the info,

-Jon
jca

Dr Evil
Forum Regular
Jun 17, 2001, 12:33 AM

When a new or speed bumped Mac will ship no one really knows other than Steve himself. Most likely the lower to mid level Macs will be readily available for a short delay and the high end (probably dual) Macs will not ship for a while. This has been the trend for most of the Power Mac and Powerbook roll outs over the past few years. I too am waiting for the new Power Macs with high anticipation, so I definately agree with everyone else that you should wait, until they are at least announced to make a decision on whether to get a new one, or a reduced 2001 Digital G4. Good luck.
Quicksilver G4 867mhz 384mb/60gig
iBook 300 320mb/20gig
Athlon Xp 1700+(1.47GHz) 512mb ddr/26gig, GeForce 4 TI 4200/128mb
http://mayodreams.dyndns.org

-Q-
Jun 17, 2001, 09:39 AM

Unfortunately, the ship date is pretty much a crapshoot. I know when I ordered my new iBook, it took about 3 weeks for it to arrive. In the case of the 733s, the wait was a month or more because Moto couldn't supply the 733 chips in enough quantity for Apple to ship the product. So to be completely ambiguous, it depends.

But as its been mentioned before, if you can wait, do so. Steve will be announcing something at Macworld. And either way, you'll either get a brand new computer (that you may have to wait a few weeks for) or you'll get a great deal on a 533. Good luck!

Q

Phorte
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 17, 2001, 01:22 PM

I got my G3-533 a few months back and haven't looked back. I would say unless the logic board's architecture has changed, you're all good with a current model. Of course a ge_force3 would be nice....

schalliol
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2001, 01:34 PM

The main problem with the 733 ship time (I waited over 2 months for mine) was the SuperDrive. Pioneer just didn't have enough quantity of them (that's why Apple offered CD-RW 733's).
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

christ
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2001, 05:21 AM

Ship time is normally really good on newly announced low end products, and really bad on newly announced high end products. As I guess the replacement (?!?) for the 533DP will probably be the low end, ship time should be pretty good. If you are after a quad 2 GHz with OS XI, or whatever else turns out to be the top end, then expect woefully long ship dates.

Chris. T.
Chris. T.

"... in 6 months if WMD are found, I hope all clear-thinking people who opposed the war will say "You're right, we were wrong -- good job". Similarly, if after 6 months no WMD are found, people who supported the war should say the same thing -- and move to impeach Mr. Bush." - moki, 04/16/03

Tristrami
Senior User
Jun 18, 2001, 09:58 AM

Wait 3 years and then get it for one tenth of the price...

<Pop>
Jun 22, 2001, 06:16 AM

Hehe.. I was just about to post the same topic..
I have the money now for a 533 and 17" LCD and I just cant wait any longer for my new prize
Ive been on an iMac for over 2 years now.. I want my G4 so bad..
Will this shipping issue be even longer to the UK?
Will I have to wait until mid August for a replacement to the 533?

Pop

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 22, 2001, 11:01 AM

As the iMac gets a new look, it can't stay at same clock speed or move into the 500-700 G3 speed can it? How about iMac taking over the low-end of G4 clock speeds? 450/500/600 mhz G4's. Take over the cube's spec area. BTO option of 14/15/17" LCDs.

ie, low-end iMac as Cube and if you don't need expansion slots.

AlexisMachine
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 22, 2001, 03:19 PM

Its not just a matter of clock speed, but of processor type. The new dual processor boxes should have the new G4, with 3 vector units per chip. Any application optimized for Altivec and MP should run blazingly fast.

With a modest boost in Mhz, it should quite a speed bump.

Macintosh_Kyle
Jun 23, 2001, 09:15 AM

I am pretty sre Apple are making a 733DUal, 866 and a 933.
Kyle F

capone
Forum Regular
Jun 23, 2001, 12:46 PM

Wait. I would.

You can get better machines for you money or the current ones at a discount.

Visit MacNETv2, where you can voice all your Mac opinions freely.

sauria
Jun 25, 2001, 10:46 PM

It's tough but I'd wait -- I'm trying to wait

[ 06-25-2001: Message edited by: sauria ]

GuruMeditation
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2001, 09:38 AM

Let me tell you why there will be a better new DP G4 coming out soon...

I have just bought a DP 533, that's why.

Same thing happened to me when I got my Rev D iMac...A little later the first slot loaders including the (then hot) DV Special Ed, which I would have gladly paid the difference for.

The new DP G4 will have the new GeForce 3 card (64 MB of DDR, natch), 512mb of RAM, dual 800mhz G4's, superdrive and will cost the same that I have just paid.

Why?

Because it would piss me off, that's why.

It's my lot in life to be a step too early in buying computers

GuruMed

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2001, 11:32 AM

Originally posted by GuruMeditation:
<STRONG>Let me tell you why there will be a better new DP G4 coming out soon...

I have just bought a DP 533, that's why.

Same thing happened to me when I got my Rev D iMac...A little later the first slot loaders including the (then hot) DV Special Ed, which I would have gladly paid the difference for.

The new DP G4 will have the new GeForce 3 card (64 MB of DDR, natch), 512mb of RAM, dual 800mhz G4's, superdrive and will cost the same that I have just paid.

Why?

Because it would piss me off, that's why.

It's my lot in life to be a step too early in buying computers

GuruMed</STRONG>

Now that's pathetic...
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Macintosh_Kyle
Jul 1, 2001, 07:35 AM

I am waiting until the 6th of July, an Apple Conference is on then, new iMacs will hopefully be launched!
Kyle F

MikeM32
Banned
Location: &quot;Joisey&quot; Home of the &quot;Guido&quot; and chicks with &quot;Big Hair&quot;
Jul 1, 2001, 04:37 PM

Normally I don't suggest waiting, but this close to MWENYC I would. If I were in the market I'd probably go for one of the "Pre-MWE" models at a discount.

Normally if your'e in the market though and nothing "big" (like MacWorld Expo) is just around the corner, I say buy what's out NOW. The reason? Simple, you'd be waiting for that next MacWorld Expo forever.

Always waiting for the "bigger and better" thing. In the computing world there will always be something "bigger and better". No point in gettying cought-up in it. If it does what you need it to do then that's all that matters.

I'm still "chugging along" on my Beige G3/266 Desktop here and it still kicks butt

Mike

christ
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2001, 07:33 AM

Wait for the dual 800, then you'll get everything that you want, including a superdrive, for the price of a 533DP!
Chris. T.

"... in 6 months if WMD are found, I hope all clear-thinking people who opposed the war will say "You're right, we were wrong -- good job". Similarly, if after 6 months no WMD are found, people who supported the war should say the same thing -- and move to impeach Mr. Bush." - moki, 04/16/03

Forum Links
Forum Rules