Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Less Common Drinks (Boooze)

Less Common Drinks (Boooze)
Tenacious Dyl
Mac Enthusiast
May 15, 2007, 12:28 AM

I was at the grandparents w/ all the family on Mother's Day, and my grandfather (He's from Hungary, spent most of his younger life there) mentioned something to me in passing like "If you get some whiskey, and put a nice bit of garlic in it.... (mumbling)... well, three or four of those, and that will be good for you."

The conversation went back to the original story back from their old home, and it was forgotten, but it has been bugging me since. I'm rather eager to try it.

Anywho... discuss your own curious drink-type recipes here, and provide advice for making them and any knowledge of their roots! I tried my hardest to find something about the whiskey-garlic drink, but the closest I can find is recipes to cook with the two... I'd like to think there are lots of older (and more interesting drinks) to try (even just family-type traditions) than the standard lot served at bars/pubs!
yep.

Railroader
Banned
May 15, 2007, 12:38 AM

I don't know about curious, but here's the stupidest shot you can do: The Stuntman

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2007, 12:49 AM

I once had a drink that the bartender called a Russian Quaalude. I have no idea if it's a real drink - I doubt it, since I've had to give the recipe to any other bar I've been to.

Two parts vanilla vodka (Stoli or better - Absolut sucks), one part Irish creme, one part Kahlua.

It packs a wallop. Three of those and I will be leaning on you for support and talking in a much louder volume than necessary. They're easy to suck down, too. The Irish creme makes it smooth enough that you don't notice the amount of vodka you're consuming...
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Railroader
Banned
May 15, 2007, 01:07 AM

At the Landshark in East Lansing, MI you can get a drink called the "SharkBowl" where the fill a small fish bowl with different white liquors and candy gummy fish. It's a community drink where they stick a number of straws in and a group tries to drink it down in one go.

Rumor
May 15, 2007, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
I don't know about curious, but here's the stupidest shot you can do: The Stuntman
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
May 15, 2007, 02:01 AM

a sweaty mexican is a shot of tequila with hot sauce in it, hotter the better.

I've been drinking espresso vodka on the rocks lately, with or without some baileys or frangelico. so delicious!
ice

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
May 15, 2007, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
I once had a drink that the bartender called a Russian Quaalude. I have no idea if it's a real drink - I doubt it, since I've had to give the recipe to any other bar I've been to.

Two parts vanilla vodka (Stoli or better - Absolut sucks), one part Irish creme, one part Kahlua.

It packs a wallop. Three of those and I will be leaning on you for support and talking in a much louder volume than necessary. They're easy to suck down, too. The Irish creme makes it smooth enough that you don't notice the amount of vodka you're consuming...

Yeah, it's real. I've had numerous of those when I was in Hawaii. And yeah, quite the punch.

Tenacious Dyl  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 15, 2007, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure View Post
I've been drinking espresso vodka on the rocks lately, with or without some baileys or frangelico. so delicious!
That sounds really good! I found that just a strong cup of good coffee mixed with some Bacardi CoCo is pretty good too (Baileys doesn't hurt )
yep.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2007, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
Sounds like a White Russian in a shot. I'll try some sometime since White Russians are my common choice of drink.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 15, 2007, 11:38 AM

Depends on where you are.

Caipirinha is very common in Europe, but hard to find in the US. Don't know why.

-t

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2007, 02:12 AM

Try a Flaming Sambuca the next time you're out. You might not get the bartender to light it for you though. Drink with a straw while it's still on fire.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

OreoCookie
May 16, 2007, 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure View Post
a sweaty mexican is a shot of tequila with hot sauce in it, hotter the better.
Yeah, I like that one. Mexicans also mix hot sauce into beer which tastes much better than you'd believe at first.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules