Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > House broken into, need advice

House broken into, need advice
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2007, 10:35 PM

Just got back from a trip and came home to a house that was broken into.

Things could have been *much* worse though, as evidently these burglars were damn near retarded. They passed up our TV, electronics, a broken laptop, instruments, sheet music, speakers, and some other things, and did not notice my laptop or a diamond ring. What was stolen was about $50 worth of coins, a star trek patch, a backpack, and possibly a 3G iPod.

Other than a full out alarm system, what sort of simple anti-theft precautions do you take? Do you own a safe? We are currently renting, so our housing situation is temporary and therefore we don't want to put too much money into anything that would be tethered to this house.

Your ideas are welcome...

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2007, 10:39 PM

This may sound dumb, but bright automatic flood lights seem to be a strong deterent. Put screens and locks on your windows. Chains on the doors (along with the normal dead-bolt and handle lock) I'm trying to think on the cheaper side of things. Sorry to hear, I know things like this are pretty traumatic. Our car was broken into once in our drive way and I was creeped out for a long time.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2007, 10:42 PM

OHHH and you need to watch "It takes a thief" on the discovery channel... it gives some good tips on how to keep your home safe...

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2007, 10:43 PM

Get an NRA sticker in your window?
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2007, 11:27 PM

Sorry to hear that.

Were you insured?

A good idea might be to keep a copy of your important files somwhere well hidden.

Then even if your computer and the back-up drive were gone, you still had the files. And set your insurance on getting the repurchase value, not the actual value (which might be little even for a good, but older computer).

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2007, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
We are currently renting, so our housing situation is temporary and therefore we don't want to put too much money into anything that would be tethered to this house.

Your ideas are welcome...
Don't put anything into it. Tell the landlord to do it.
Motion sensor lights is all you can hope for at a rental unit unless you live someplace really nice.

Get a safety deposit box at your bank for real valuables. I pay about $130 / year for one about the size of a shoebox. Low end safes won't protect your things in a fire.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2007, 11:45 PM

Waste power. If you leave the lights and TV on, it will seem more like you're home. (Perhaps bad for unrelated reasons, but it does seem to be a reasonably effective deterrent.)
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

irunat2am
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 29, 2007, 11:46 PM

Watch Home Alone 1 and follow his setup. You win.

Honestly though, sorry to hear about that. You always lose your sense of security when that happens. I believe there are motion sensor setups you can get that you don't have to wire through the whole house. I forgot where I've seen them, but that would be cheaper than paying a company to come out and setup an alarm system (especially since you're renting).

You could set one up at the front door and back door, etc, and scare the living crap out of somebody. If I have time tonight I'll try to find a link.

Good luck, man.
24" iMac 2.16GHz c2d ~ 3G ram ~ 250G ~ Superdrive ~ Pure Sexiness
15" Powerbook G4 ~ 1.5GHz ~ 1.5G ram ~ 160G ~ Combo

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2007, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Waste power. If you leave the lights and TV on, it will seem more like you're home. (Perhaps bad for unrelated reasons, but it does seem to be a reasonably effective deterrent.)
You can actually hook lamps and TVs to timers, and have them turned on and off automatically.

highstakes
Senior User
Aug 30, 2007, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by Veltliner View Post
You can actually hook lamps and TVs to timers, and have them turned on and off automatically.
Yeap, we have several of those for our home, we set them up when we leave for a long vacation. They turn on and off at random times...so it does not seem like the lights in the room is on at the same time for a whole week.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 30, 2007, 01:26 AM

I'm really sorry about that, besson.

Nothing sucks worse than reality shattering our cozy little existences. As for advice, leaving the lights on was going to be my advice too, so instead of adding anything new, I'll just second it.

Tenacious Dyl
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 30, 2007, 02:13 AM

Get some fake but good looking ADT-type security / alarm system stickers, throw 'em on a few corners of windows and doors. Usually that is good enough. Timers (on different settings) don't hurt over vacations.

There really isn't much you can do to really stop people if they are determined. Excessive chains and deadbolts are useless if someone simply knocks a window, grabs some goods, and runs.

Ever thought of getting a nice big dog?
yep.

Graviton
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 30, 2007, 03:19 AM

what sort of simple anti-theft precautions do you take?
A good anti-theft precaution is not telling people what your anti-theft precautions are.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2007, 06:57 AM

There are several motion detector alarms that act like full blown systems. Someone breaks in, the alarm goes off. Lots of noise will scare off the burglar. Doesn't need an account with an alarm company.

irunat2am
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 30, 2007, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Sherman Homan View Post
There are several motion detector alarms that act like full blown systems. Someone breaks in, the alarm goes off. Lots of noise will scare off the burglar. Doesn't need an account with an alarm company.
Originally Posted by irunat2am
I believe there are motion sensor setups you can get that you don't have to wire through the whole house. I forgot where I've seen them, but that would be cheaper than paying a company to come out and setup an alarm system (especially since you're renting).
That's 2 for extremely loud motion alarms.
24" iMac 2.16GHz c2d ~ 3G ram ~ 250G ~ Superdrive ~ Pure Sexiness
15" Powerbook G4 ~ 1.5GHz ~ 1.5G ram ~ 160G ~ Combo

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2007, 08:19 AM

how did they get in to your house?

design219
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2007, 08:30 AM

I have a German Shepherd. She loves people, but she also barks at anything out of the ordinary, like unfamiliar cars driving up to our house. I also have automatic sensor lights in on the back side of the house (the side our only neighbor can't see). We also have dead bolts on all doors and open fields all around the house.

We had a break-in during construction of our house and some tools were stolen, but no problems since moving in two years ago.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

abe
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2007, 08:44 AM

I'm truly sorry to hear of your violation. Your usual air of fun is noticebly missing from your post and understandably so. Now is not the time to kid around about the damn thing. So I won't. I'm sincerely touched by your misfortune.

From what was taken I'd say it was kids. No more music lessons? Or maybe as others have said that you should invest in hi-tech devices. A dog restricts your freedom and though they are lovely, there is a down side to that kind of responsibility.
America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

Super Mario
Aug 30, 2007, 08:53 AM

What was stolen was about $50 worth of coins
Your life savings!!!!!

Other than a full out alarm system, what sort of simple anti-theft precautions do you take?
Good ****ing double lock doors of heavy wood, brick walls and double glazed windows. I understand in the US many homes are made poorly by European standards. It's not easy to protect a home when walls are made of boards nailed on a wooden frame, windows are single paned glass and door frames are so lightweight they can be kicked down.
( Last edited by Super Mario; Jan 10, 2018 at 02:43 PM. )

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2007, 09:05 AM

I have all of the following:

an ADT system - but not hooked to ADT, but still a good alarm system
timers in several rooms that come on at 'reasonable times' that I actually use so I don't have to turn lights on n off.
Bedroom from 5am till 8am
kitchen from 4pm til 9pm
office upstairs from 6 til 10pm
boom box from 5-8am and again from 4-9pm
2nd TV (non-electronic on-off type) from 6-9PM
My outside lights are already automatic.

leave a glass of tea, and cookies on a table in view so they can see someones there!

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 30, 2007, 09:10 AM

Get a pit bull. I hear those dogs are bred to maim and kill anything that moves.

euchomai
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2007, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
Your life savings!!!!!
I understand in the US many homes are made poorly by European standards.
Yeah, its been sad. We've had to put up with the poor European standards imposed on us for a long time. When we build according to strong American standards our houses are invincible.

design219
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2007, 09:51 AM

Glad you fixed that.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.

DakarÊ’
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2007, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Get a pit bull. I hear those dogs are bred to maim and kill anything that moves.
This joke never ceases to be funny.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 30, 2007, 10:03 AM

Just trying to make sure this thread lasts.

design219
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2007, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by DakarÊ’ View Post
This joke never ceases to be funny.
Is this a reference to some past thread I missed?

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2007, 10:21 AM

Sorry to hear about it.
Make sure you can account for all check books.credit cards and social security numbers.

Its probably a good idea to put a fraud alert on your credit report. just because they didn't take as much as you thought doesn't mean they didn't anything important.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2007, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by design219 View Post
Not one.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2007, 10:33 AM

they didn't take the sheet music? what is the world coming too! crooks just can't do a good job anymore.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Aug 30, 2007, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by residentEvil View Post
they didn't take the sheet music? what is the world coming too! crooks just can't do a good job anymore.
My thoughts exactly.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Aug 30, 2007, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by design219 View Post
Uh...
http://forums.macnn.com/89/macnn-lou...-shown-enough/
http://forums.macnn.com/89/macnn-lou...it-bull-story/
http://forums.macnn.com/89/macnn-lou...d-by-pitbulls/

and on and on...

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2007, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Veltliner View Post
Sorry to hear that.

Were you insured?

A good idea might be to keep a copy of your important files somwhere well hidden.

Then even if your computer and the back-up drive were gone, you still had the files. And set your insurance on getting the repurchase value, not the actual value (which might be little even for a good, but older computer).
No renter's insurance, but we used to have this. It's probably worth looking into again though...

I already have an offsite backup of our most important computer files.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2007, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by irunat2am View Post
Watch Home Alone 1 and follow his setup. You win.

Honestly though, sorry to hear about that. You always lose your sense of security when that happens. I believe there are motion sensor setups you can get that you don't have to wire through the whole house. I forgot where I've seen them, but that would be cheaper than paying a company to come out and setup an alarm system (especially since you're renting).

You could set one up at the front door and back door, etc, and scare the living crap out of somebody. If I have time tonight I'll try to find a link.

Good luck, man.

The one thing I'll need to investigate is whether animals would trigger off these motion sensor detectors?

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2007, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey View Post
how did they get in to your house?
The crowbarred the lock around a wooden door, but it looked like they also tried going through our bedroom window.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2007, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by abe View Post
I'm truly sorry to hear of your violation. Your usual air of fun is noticebly missing from your post and understandably so. Now is not the time to kid around about the damn thing. So I won't. I'm sincerely touched by your misfortune.

From what was taken I'd say it was kids. No more music lessons? Or maybe as others have said that you should invest in hi-tech devices. A dog restricts your freedom and though they are lovely, there is a down side to that kind of responsibility.

Not a big deal Abe, you can continue to act all crazy if you want... I'm not going to live in paranoia about it happening again either, which is why I'm just looking for some simple solutions (a dog is not really feasible for us right now).

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2007, 01:27 PM

My thoughts exactly.
Well, there is actually a lot of value in the music. It is clear they were looking for cash and stuff which could be easily sold though.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2007, 03:02 PM

Before I forget, thanks everybody for your suggestions thus far. I've talked over several with my wife, many of them are excellent.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2007, 03:20 PM

Sorry to hear about that, besson3c. For a renter, all I would suggest is what other people have - an off-site safe deposit box for really important stuff, and a renter's insurance policy. That, and a big dog.

I'm glad that the intruder apparently did not find your stool samples, or your collection of exotic ointments.

natnabour
Forum Regular
Aug 30, 2007, 05:00 PM

Yikes...sorry to hear about this. The one thing we do that is relatively cheap when we go out of town is....a housesitter. And they don't need to necessarily ''stay'' in your home. As long as it's someone you trust - they can bring the mail in, water the plants, hang out & watch tv for a while and leave a hallway light on.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2007, 06:01 PM

Have any of you guys ever gotten into doing a web cam thing? I'm thinking that even having a fake web cam there might be a nice little deterrent

iranfromthezoo
Senior User
Aug 30, 2007, 06:19 PM

I real easy solution is to simple get some of those signs that say "protected by" and get some small magnetic strips and put on windows and doors, so they think that there is an alarm system.

Also a dog will help. Keep your bushes trimmed (thats what she said), make it impossible for someone to hide around your house, shrubs, trees, tall fences etc...

The easiest thing to do is just to ask your neighbors to keep an eye on your place while your gone.

Kevin
Baninated
Aug 31, 2007, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
Good ****ing double lock doors of heavy wood, brick walls and double glazed windows. I understand in the US many homes are made poorly by European standards.
Both Americans and Europeans a like always want to think whatever "their side" does it better.

What is good for one field, may not be for another. BTW if you really think that, you've never had to deal with building code inspectors in the U.S.

Now during the whole baby boomer era LOTS of cheap houses where built that weren't meant to last forever. Though even those are still standing.

In other words, you understanding is pretty much incorrect. Though I don't blame you for thinking what you do.

BTW besson, it's likely that the thief also knows you personally.
Not a big deal Abe, you can continue to act all crazy if you want... I'm not going to live in paranoia... blah blah
Wow and abe was being nice to you. (Not that you deserve it the way you treat him) and you still can't return the favor. :/
Well, there is actually a lot of value in the music. It is clear they were looking for cash and stuff which could be easily sold though.
To you there is a lot of value in it. To those that go hunting in the night, it means nada.

Most of such things are of value because of nostalgic reasons. You have to know someone that also shares that value to sell it to to make money off it. So does that make them morons for not grabbing said music? No. It makes them smart for grabbing what they KNOW they can get lots of money for.

Regardless of how much someone is "worth" there has to be a supply and demand. And demand for such things simply isn't that high in the thief world.
( Last edited by Kevin; Aug 31, 2007 at 06:58 AM. )

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Aug 31, 2007, 11:04 AM

I'm glad you explained that to besson, because there's no way he know that already.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2007, 07:05 PM

i figured the sheet music was some great unfinished piece from beethoven that was worth millions and the dumb crook passed it over. silly me

abe
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2007, 07:24 PM

Not a big deal Abe, you can continue to act all crazy if you want... I'm not going to live in paranoia about it happening again either, which is why I'm just looking for some simple solutions (a dog is not really feasible for us right now).
If I refrain from commenting on this post will you promise to tell us when, er, I mean IF you get hit again?
America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2007, 07:30 PM

It was that ****ing hampstor that did that ****

abe
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2007, 07:36 PM

I'm glad you explained that to besson, because there's no way he know that already.

abe
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2007, 07:52 PM

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2007, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by residentEvil View Post
i figured the sheet music was some great unfinished piece from beethoven that was worth millions and the dumb crook passed it over. silly me

Okay, it was a little silly of me to list the music in the context of something that might have street/liquid value to thieves, but actually the combined value of the music we own is pretty valuable.

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 1, 2007, 07:52 AM

Well he surely didn't act like it when he said.

"these burglars were damn near retarded. They passed up our TV, electronics, a broken laptop, instruments, sheet music"

Them passing over the sheet music was smart. They knew they couldn't sell it.
Okay, it was a little silly of me to list the music in the context of something that might have street/liquid value to thieves,
Thank you.

Forum Links
Forum Rules