Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Type 2, 3, and 10 Errors

Type 2, 3, and 10 Errors
philglau
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 22, 2000, 01:19 PM

I recently upgraded to 9.0.4 from 8.6.1 and am now experiencing a perponderence of seemingly random type 2, 3, and 10 errors. (2 to 3 per hour of useage). It's a Rev 1 G3 which has a third party ZIF running at 450. Includes a promax card, a MOTU card, 320 MB of RAM, and 90 GB of drive space.

It ran smoothly for about 3 weeks with 9.0.4 and then just in the last week or so, I've started to receive these error messages.

Any thoughts?

armel
Jun 22, 2000, 02:17 PM

Hello,

I have the same error on my G3 B/W 350.
I test different solution (Ram, hard drive, disconnect my zip, modem) same think.

I reinstall Mac OS 8.5 and the upgrade 8.6, no problem.

If you have a solution send me a may
[email protected]

Armel

philglau  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 22, 2000, 05:28 PM

I have also just moved back to 8.6 this morning and haven't crashed since then.

Phil

GrantS
Jun 22, 2000, 06:01 PM

I have the same problem on a G4/400 w/ 320MB, immediately after upgrading from 9.0.2 to 9.0.4 I started experiencing a large number of Type 2 and 3 errors. The frequency of these crashed increases greatly when I am using Gerry's ICQ, but they are not limited by that.

Anyone have any solutions?

reader50
Administrator
Jun 22, 2000, 08:03 PM

According to an Apple TIL article, error codes 2,3, & 10 seem to pertain to 68K program code. That suggests one of your older apps or fat apps that contain 68K code.

There are several utilities that check applications for 68K or PPC code. You might check each running app/control panel/non-system extension. It may be time to upgrade some 3rd party software.

philglau  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 22, 2000, 08:18 PM

what are the names of those programs for checking this code?

reader50
Administrator
Jun 23, 2000, 01:26 AM

PowerPCheck is the first one that comes to mind. Look for it about halfway down the page under ALM Software (MAC OS).

It seems like I have seen other utilities that find 68K/PPC code, but I don't recall the names off hand. Try checking the MacFixit Library.

Note that this utility is intended to find & remove code from fat apps to compact applications on a particular system: eg: If you have a 68K system, remove the PPC code. If you have a PPC system, remove the 68K code. Doing this is somewhat risky, and should only be done on a backup copy.

You do not want to do this at all, you just want to use the utility to see if one or more of your 3rd party software products is running on 68K code. You would use the utility to see if an app has only the 68K code. (If it has both, it will run on the PPC code on your system, and is not suspect) Just use the utility to inspect your software, and don't engage any of the other commands.

Hope this works for you.

[This message has been edited by reader50 (edited 06-23-2000).]

suhail
Senior User
Jun 23, 2000, 02:54 PM

I had similar problems. Here is how I solved them.
1-If there is a ROM update do it
2-Clean install of OS9
3-Disable all extensions and Control Panels that you KNOW you don't need.
4-Run Software Update.

Should run as clean as a whistle.

philglau  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2000, 03:05 PM

Originally posted by suhail:
I had similar problems. Here is how I solved them.
1-If there is a ROM update do it
2-Clean install of OS9
3-Disable all extensions and Control Panels that you KNOW you don't need.
4-Run Software Update.

Should run as clean as a whistle.
In step 4, do you mean run OS 9.0.4 update or some other software update.

[This message has been edited by philglau (edited 06-23-2000).]

Dalgo
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 24, 2000, 07:20 PM

I had the same problem and I have a new G4. Programs would quit all of a sudden with Type 1, 2, or 3 errors. I reinstalled the system and it when away. I assume that something corrupted part of the system. That's the easy part. Now the hard part is to find out what. I haven't been having any trouble since the reinstall and it's been about 2 weeks.

Qono
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2000, 11:13 PM

I've been getting these errors on one particular program, a MIDI/audio recording program. I used the PPC Checker and no 68k code was detected in the app. Now I'm not so sure that the 68k code is the problem...?

yoyo52
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2000, 11:29 PM

I had different sorts of problems with my G4 runing 9.04--they involved crashing on first start-up. I did a clean system install of 9 and then ran the updater to 9.04, and since then it's been fine. Now if I could just get the conflice between M$ Word and the Epson printer spooler resolved, I'd be a happy camper
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

reader50
Administrator
Jun 27, 2000, 12:06 AM

Qono: Did you check any extensions or control panels that the app installed? Offending code need not be in the app itself.

philglau  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 27, 2000, 02:31 AM

So am I to assume from this thread that with system 9.x you can not run any app or extension that includes 68k code in it? What happens to all those old programs that I still use (Address Book Pro comes to mind)? Am I screwed if I upgrade to 9.x?

None of these questions really answer the question of why some people are having such problems and others are not. These 68k code thing sounds a bit like the tech support vodoo I used to hear during the early days of digital video (i.e. zap your p-ram, trash your preferences etc. none of which definitivly fixed any problems nor could be traced as a cure).

reader50
Administrator
Jun 27, 2000, 05:18 AM

My own G4 came with 9.0 preinstalled, and I have since gone up to 9.0.4. Unlike some others in these fora, I have experienced no strange problems along the way. The Apple TIL article I found above suggests errors 2,3, & 10 apply to 68K code because they refer to error conditions generated on a 68000 processor. My own system has had no problems running 68K code, either from preinstalled applications or applications that I have downloaded. Since 68K code is emulated on PowerPC Macs, this eliminates any hardware issues. Your problem is almost certainly in software.

A clean install of OS 9.04, or a clean install of 9.0x followed by an update to 9.04 would likely solve all problems. Just add back in your 3rd party stuff.

If any problems remained, re-do the clean install, then add each older application + required older extensions/control panels one at a time, with a week or so of use between each successive install. This would doubtless isolate any offending code, even intermittent faults that may take days to surface.

The purpose behind my suggestions, at least, is to fix the problem with a lot less time invested. There are many ways software can screw up & produce assorted error messages & other flakey bahavior. A clean install alone (followed by 3rd party software installation) seems like the most likely way to fix all problems. On the other hand, most or all of the suggestions here may prove a waste of time.

It is true that a good many applications were broken by the jump to OS 9, because Apple made many internal upgrades. In part, these were intended to help bridge the gap to OS X since OS 9 is basically going to be running under OS X (in the Classic environment) for some years to come. AppleWorks prior to 5.04 had issues, AfterDark is broken & is not going to get fixed. Presumably, my downloads have only hit applications that were OK or have already been updated. It still may be worth the time to check web sites such as Versiontracker to see if new versions have been released.

Just trying to help.

[This message has been edited by reader50 (edited 06-27-2000).]

Qono
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 27, 2000, 04:46 PM

Thanks, reader, for the suggestions. I checked the one extension used by the program and it has 68k code in it, the extension is called "DigiSystem INIT." Here's what the report said:

DigiSystem� INIT (68K, PPC resources)
Path: Mac HD:System Folder:Extensions (Disabled) : DigiSystem� INIT
Type: INIT, SA4D, 245K
Native code in resource fork: 12K
DSIP 128: 12K
68K application code: 91K

I did not strip any of the code because I don't know what this will do. Any ideas on what to do with this? Maybe make a copy of the extension, strip the code and see if the app still functions? I'll be doing a re-install of 9 and 9.0.4 soon anyway just in case...thanks

[This message has been edited by Qono (edited 06-27-2000).]

reader50
Administrator
Jun 27, 2000, 07:29 PM

Qono: Doesn't sound worth it to strip the code. Your report sounds like this extension is a "fat" extension, in that it has both 68K & PPC code. In such a case, the 68K code is not used by a PowerMac anyway.

Also, I note you checked this extension while it was disabled, so it is not suspect if it has been there all along.

I would try to see if a later version or patch has been released, then proceed with the reinstall. You have already tried the easy & quick stuff, stripping code is getting rather complicated & more than a little dangerous - especially if you worked on the original item rather than a copy.

Many people have had good results from a clean reinstall, which means the problem was either a corrupt system file or some obscure mis-configuration. It could take forever to find a subtle problem, a clean reinstall in the end would be much faster.

Good luck, and you are perfectly welcome.

[This message has been edited by reader50 (edited 06-27-2000).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules