Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Are we too rough with forum newbies?

Are we too rough with forum newbies?
SirCastor
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2008, 11:43 AM

I've been browsing some of the threads around the forums this morning, and I'm beginning to wonder if we're a little too harsh when new folks show up with a problem. Yes, they have poor punctuation. Yes, they write MAC instead of Mac. Yes, they post to the lounge instead of the proper forum. And of course there are a number of them that are really just spammers.

But I see some genuine help being sought, and half of us jump on them like vicious tigers. Are we too rough because they haven't been indoctrinated into the group?
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Cipher13
Jan 26, 2008, 11:50 AM

Nothing makes up for poor grammar/punctuation. That's nothing to do with being a "noob", just being poorly educated.

Posting to the right forum is a matter of logic, and failure to do so denotes a lack thereof, which isn't acceptable in my opinion.

I'm drunk, and I can manage this. Somebody sober should be able to do far better.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2008, 11:58 AM

I think we should be harder. Allowing me to sneak in to the Lounge after building my post count in the other sections was one of the greatest mistakes in MacNN history.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2008, 12:00 PM

Nah, we need to be able to feel better about ourselves, so anything goes.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2008, 12:06 PM

I can't recall any recent incidents that fit your description, except for that recent spammer with the pick-up tips website. Even that was civil.

OTOH corrective treatment of Grand High Vile Acts - such as using MAC when they mean Mac - are warranted in my book, but without the namecalling and threats. Unless they really deserve it.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2008, 12:22 PM

People who don't use caps or punctuation need to be called on it because it makes it impossible to understand their problem, and thus render aid.

"need help wtf my MAc isnt working whan i plug it in the internet what do i do please hope me LOL"

isn't something that can be rationally responded to with any success.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2008, 01:20 PM

People need to realize that the Internet isn't one giant text message. You have over 100 keys in front of you: it only takes a few extra milliseconds to capitalize the start of a sentence, and to finish with a period. There is no excuse for poor grammar and spelling beyond laziness.

So no, I don't think we're too hard. Spare the rod, spoil the child.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

boots
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2008, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by chris v View Post

"need help wtf my MAc isnt working whan i plug it in the internet what do i do please hope me LOL"

isn't something that can be rationally responded to with any success.
"Sir, put the computer back in the box and ship it back to the manufacturer. There has been a serious operator error, and the only rational solution is to remove the operator from the proximity of technology."

Sounds rational to me, and I suspect it would be more successful to keep the schmucks away from computers than to arm them with just enough knowledge to be pains in the arse.

If Heaven has a dress code, I'm walkin to Hell in my Tony Lamas.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2008, 01:44 PM

I'd say between the folks who get all upset at seeing MAC, and the grammar nazi, I'd say whole heartidly that we are overly harsh on noobs and even forum regulars. The difference is that some of the noobs don't come back.

As for the grammar being sign of poor education, I disagree with that assessment. I admit my grammar is poor, but my education level is high. I have degree in MIS and an accounting degree, yet my grammar skills are poor to say the least. Like with lots of things in life you cannot broadly say that its poor education.

Overall these forums can be seen as a bit hostile at times. The other forums I frequent aren't as anal when a new member asks question about a MAC. In fact the question is generally answered without someone correcting the OP that its Mac and not MAC.

Finally you have the MOD/Admin wannabes telling the OP how they broke the rules and should have known better.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2008, 02:18 PM

Is expecting people to have the consideration to communicate like a functional human being here really so unreasonable? I'm not saying to go and eliminate a newbie's family if he posts unintelligible garbage, but if somebody isn't willing to put in the effort or show us some basic consideration, I don't see why other people should feel obligated to pick up the slack for him.

For me, anyway, part of what makes these forums so good is that we have a relatively high level of quality to the posts here. Even our stupid posts are not so bad in the big picture. If we stopped expecting anything from the people who come here, the forums would go to pot and a lot of longtime posters would probably lose interest.

(Note: This is, of course, my take and not an official statement of policy by MacNN or any such nonsense.)
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2008, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
I'd say between the folks who get all upset at seeing MAC, and the grammar nazi, I'd say whole heartidly that we are overly harsh on noobs and even forum regulars. The difference is that some of the noobs don't come back.

As for the grammar being sign of poor education, I disagree with that assessment. I admit my grammar is poor, but my education level is high. I have degree in MIS and an accounting degree, yet my grammar skills are poor to say the least. Like with lots of things in life you cannot broadly say that its poor education.
Yet your post is chock-full of capitals at the beginning of sentences, periods at their end, apostrophes in contractions, etc. I.E. it's at least intelligible.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2008, 02:38 PM

Heh, heh, he said whole "heartidly".
Off with his head.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 26, 2008, 03:34 PM

loL you MAC guys R sooo ruff on newbs j/k lol

is not
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 26, 2008, 04:28 PM

LOL

How do I do to post code? Is anything like [code] or is not? Thanks!

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 26, 2008, 05:03 PM

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2008, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by boots View Post
"Sir, put the computer back in the box and ship it back to the manufacturer. There has been a serious operator error, and the only rational solution is to remove the operator from the proximity of technology."
LOL AMIRITE

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2008, 09:00 PM

Yet your post is chock-full of capitals at the beginning of sentences, periods at their end, apostrophes in contractions, etc. I.E. it's at least intelligible.
Thanks, but my grammar skill level is low. That doesn't mean I don't try to make a cohesive well constructed and punctuated post. Its just that I fail and there's certain grammar concepts that completely baffle me. Yet when the errors do crop up, there are people here that decide to correct my grammar. The incredulous thing is that a number of these folks who condemn me and my grammar have spelling errors. Seems hypercritical, nail me for my grammar but their posts typically have spelling errors.

The whole, complain about the speck in my eye while they have a board in theirs

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2008, 10:04 PM

Yes.

Rumor
Jan 26, 2008, 11:08 PM

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think my keyboard has 100 keys.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2008, 11:28 PM

Thanks, but my grammar skill level is low. That doesn't mean I don't try to make a cohesive, well constructed and punctuated post it's just that I fail, and there are certain grammar concepts that completely baffle me. Yet, when the errors do crop up, there are people here that decide to correct my grammar. The incredulous thing is that a number of the folks who condemn me and my grammar have spelling errors [of their own]. It seems hypercritical to nail me for my grammar, but their posts typically have spelling errors , too.

The whole, "complain about the speck in my eye while they have a board in theirs..."
Fixed™ (without a complete rewrite)

And I got rid of all your damn double spaces after periods, too.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 26, 2008, 11:33 PM

79 keys on my PowerBook.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2008, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
Fixed™ (without a complete rewrite)

But you missed "hypercritical" (hypocritical).
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2008, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
But you missed "hypercritical" (hypocritical).
Sorry mate, but hypercritical really is a word -- but I'm not wagering he knew it was.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2008, 12:28 AM

Sorry mate, but hypercritical really is a word
I know. But no way would it have fit that context.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2008, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think my keyboard has 100 keys.

It does when you use modifiers.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 27, 2008, 02:21 AM

Did I miss some sarcasm, or have double spaces after periods been axed?

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2008, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by AKcrab View Post
Did I miss some sarcasm, or have double spaces after periods been axed?
Yeah, we axed them when we quit using typewriters.

Sealobo
Jan 27, 2008, 08:55 AM

from my observation, some of these newbies are pretty rude and lack a sense of humor. I mean, it's okay to be rude, but not getting the jokes is unacceptable.

boots
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2008, 08:56 AM

^Yeah, none of the regulars are rude or lack a sense of humor.

In who's style guide?

Sealobo
Jan 27, 2008, 08:56 AM

i once busted someone who lied about her age when she used double-space after full-stop.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2008, 01:10 PM

Thanks, but my grammar skill level is low. That doesn't mean I don't try to make a cohesive well constructed and punctuated post. Its just that I fail and there's certain grammar concepts that completely baffle me. Yet when the errors do crop up, there are people here that decide to correct my grammar. The incredulous thing is that a number of these folks who condemn me and my grammar have spelling errors. Seems hypercritical, nail me for my grammar but their posts typically have spelling errors.

The whole, complain about the speck in my eye while they have a board in theirs

Why don't you just take the time to learn the rules you consistently misuse? They are just not that hard to get a handle on MacOSNerd, I think you are highly capable of learning them, and doing so won't just benefit you in here, but it will also benefit you in life.

The whole speck in my eye argument is a flawed argument. Nobody is expecting consistent perfection in every post, but making the same basic mistakes consistently just shows a lack of awareness. In most cases, pointing this out is a simple attempt to make the poster aware of this so that he/she can make the choice to correct the problem. Why be defensive? This stuff is just not that hard, just fix it... For instance, do you know that questions need a question mark at the end to indicate a question? Really, is that hard? Does it take a lot of effort to print a question mark? Just fix it!
( Last edited by besson3c; Jan 27, 2008 at 01:17 PM. )

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2008, 01:21 PM

Another thing: the whole "it's just the internet" argument... I'm convinced that that is a B.S. argument.

When one has a handle on writing properly it becomes second nature to them. They literally have to go out of their way to make mistakes. The best way to correct bad habits is not to think about correcting habits, but to correct bad habits with good ones - with coming up with new writing "defaults".

If I see a string of posts where a poster misuses too/to, they're/their/there, etc. you can almost bet it's because this person does not have a handle on these differences. There are no excuses (save English not being a native language and dyslexia), and no sense in justifying otherwise.

What kills me is that in many cases these fixes are pretty easy once you make a conscious effort to do so. Why anybody would *want* or not be bothered by sounding like half of the idiots that post YouTube comments is beyond me. Do people not take pride in their own intellect and intellectual capacity? We are all capable of getting a better handle on this stuff, it just requires a conscious decision.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2008, 01:34 PM

In who's style guide?
Nice one. Though that'd slip by, did ya?

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2008, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Why don't you just take the time to learn the rules you consistently misuse? They are just not that hard to get a handle on MacOSNerd, I think you are highly capable of learning them, and doing so won't just benefit you in here, but it will also benefit you in life.\
I have no desire to argue this point. You seem to be the one with the problem not me. I've said it many times already but you seem to either not get it, or decide that in your passive-aggressive ways you try to irritate me.

I'll say it again so that it might finally sink in. I have issues with grammar, I readily admit that but there are reasons, to which I choose not to go explain no an internet forum. Please accept this and mind your own business. I don't need a grammar nazi telling me what I'm doing wrong as I post in a forum. The sooner you get this the better it will be
( Last edited by MacosNerd; Jan 27, 2008 at 02:36 PM. )

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2008, 02:48 PM

Your choice dude. I can't fathom why you would spend so much time debating on this board without at least attempting to convince the person you are debating with that you are at least as smart as they are in order to manipulate the balance of the debate in your favor, but whatever...

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2008, 03:04 PM

I think we're pretty nice to noobs, for the most part. Most of us deal cheerfully with the same questions being asked again and again. Those who can hardly write an English sentence annoy me, but AFAIK that's pretty rare around here.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

boots
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2008, 05:00 PM

Nice one. Though that'd slip by, did ya?
I can but try, good sir.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2008, 05:09 PM

I don't think that people are necessarily mean to most forum newbies. I think we just tend to ignore them until they've been around for a while.

When I first came around (March 2005), no one responded to any posts that I made. I would say, "Hey, that's an interesting conversation they have going. I think I'll chime in." Then I'd post, and not a soul would respond. They'd just move on to the next post.

That being said, I'm kind of glad that's the way things are around here. I guess you could say I agree with Chuckit. Without some kind of "hazing" process, the quality of conversation might deteriorate to the point that I, for one, wouldn't bother returning as often as I do.

In other words, thanks for ignoring me for a year, everyone!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2008, 05:17 PM

I don't mind newbie questions, but aside from sounding like a dumbass, not stating your problem as clearly as you can and providing as much relevant as possible so that we can begin to troubleshoot a problem is somewhat annoying, as is asking questions that could be easily answered with a forum or Google search. Not annoying enough to warrant rudeness, but it does take a little restraint (I get this with my family too, so this is not unique to this forum).

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2008, 05:19 PM

I'm glad I'm not your mother.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2008, 05:19 PM

^Yeah, none of the regulars are rude or lack a sense of humor.

In who's style guide?
Well, you could just check the MLA if you're a college student. I think the MLA killed it way back in 90s. Or, you could just do a search. Maybe you're too young to remember typesetting?

Faust
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 27, 2008, 05:21 PM

Dyslexia, dysgraphia, aphasia, non-English mother-tonque ... there are so many reasons why someone might not be able to write in such a way that might be expected of them by some. Poor grammar and spelling do not necessarily indicate poor education or laziness, or the lack of being smart. I wonder what makes people think that way. Lack of education, perhaps? I am not talking about people who use capital letters exclusively or those who really are just lazy.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2008, 05:33 PM

Faust,

Unless that person makes him/herself known that they are afflicted with one of those conditions or that English isn't their first language (and the latter is usually self-evident), it is natural to make assumptions and form impressions whether you are talking about real life or a forum like this. We are all responsible for the impressions that we give (bad and good), and it is perfectly natural for people to react in accordance to the impression that has been formed.

In my opinion, if you are creating the impression that you are too lazy to correct your glaring writing problems (either by stating outwardly that you don't care, or blowing off people pointing out the problems), you lack a sense of pride in yourself and the impression that you create.

I don't understand how even though this board is overflowing with political incorrectness, so many are politically correct and passive about this sort of stuff. Let's face it, the vast majority of the time, these sorts of problems are due to laziness. Why should we not form impressions and judge accordingly?

The worst of it is that figuring out the differences to these sort of things is simply *not* that hard. Most of us are absolutely capable of putting in the time to learn this stuff, it's not rocket science.

Faust
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 27, 2008, 05:59 PM

There's absolutely nothing wrong with having a dislike for bad grammar and spelling. I love language when applied in a beautiful manner. I merely think that it is too easy to just equate bad grammar/spelling with the level of a person's intellect. I would agree with the notion that a large percentage of people have simply forgotten how to write (and perhaps how to speak) or simply never bothered to learn their own language properly. I just think it's absurd to generalize.

Edit: To the question at hand: Yes, I do find that there is a lot of hostility going on. A novice user has most likely not been introduced to the general humour or etiquette that are characteristic to these forums. Some of the responses by a few veteran users do come off as being a little pert at times.
( Last edited by Faust; Jan 27, 2008 at 06:06 PM. )

Koralatov
Senior User
Jan 27, 2008, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by TheoCryst View Post
People need to realize that the Internet isn't one giant text message. You have over 100 keys in front of you: it only takes a few extra milliseconds to capitalize the start of a sentence, and to finish with a period. There is no excuse for poor grammar and spelling beyond laziness.
I knew it! I had suspected Apple were screwing me, but I didn't have proof until now. My iBook has 77 keys. What the hell happened to the other 25-odd? That's what I'd like to know!

You're right about the internet not being a giant text message. There really is no excuse for not making at least some effort to use capitalisation, punctuation and full words. I'm near-obsessive compulsive when it comes to my spelling and grammar (a hangover from studying literature), but I don't ream someone just because they used a semicolon incorrectly, or they type "there" instead of "their"; these are genuine mistakes, and I know a lot of incredibly intelligent people who make these mistakes unintentionally.

Unfortunately, it seems that a general disregard for the English language is becoming increasingly widespread. One of my friends teaches English at a secondary school, and she gets essays turned in full of "txt speek", and is frequently asked why it's not acceptable. Either through laziness, poor education or a lack of interest, people are becoming increasingly prone to using "txt" outside of the context in which it is intended for use. (In the interest of complete disclosure, I should say that I don't use txt speak even when I send an SMS; I just can't bring myself to do it.)

I didn't realise that had gone out the window. I did Office and Information Studies (AKA Secretarial Studies in a more honest time) when I was at school, and they taught us to put a double-space after a full-stop. It's a habit that I've never managed to rid myself of, and one that went unremarked-upon throughout my entire tertiary education. In all honesty, I actually quite like it.

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
When one has a handle on writing properly it becomes second nature to them. They literally have to go out of their way to make mistakes. The best way to correct bad habits is not to think about correcting habits, but to correct bad habits with good ones - with coming up with new writing "defaults".
I agree with that, and I think I fall into the above category. I genuinely have to think before I can start making serious errors in anything I write, and I think it's because the right way of doing things has become default.

If I see a string of posts where a poster misuses too/to, they're/their/there, etc. you can almost bet it's because this person does not have a handle on these differences. There are no excuses (save English not being a native language and dyslexia), and no sense in justifying otherwise.
I think you're being slightly harsh here, though. It does bother me when I come across these errors, but some people are not linguistically minded, and such differences are hard for them to remember, let alone implement all the time. The amount of times I've seen stray apostrophes is beyond count, but I make a point of just ignoring them. If I didn't, I'd end up spending about three-quarters of my life (both in reality and virtually) lecturing people about exactly why "DVDs" does not have an apostrophe. It would make me appear a sanctimonious ass, and I'm not sure my blood-pressure would be healthy either.

All in all, I agree with the general consensus of this thread: if someone makes an effort to appear lucid and coherent, then I'm willing to forgive them their mistakes, like writing CD's or MAC. If they can't even spare the effort to write something somewhat approaching standard English, then I have no time for them.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2008, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Faust View Post
There's absolutely nothing wrong with having a dislike for bad grammar and spelling. I love language when applied in a beautiful manner. I merely think that it is too easy to just equate bad grammar/spelling with the level of a person's intellect. I would agree with the notion that a large percentage of people have simply forgotten how to write (and perhaps how to speak) or simply never bothered to learn their own language properly. I just think it's absurd to generalize.
This kind of equating and calculation goes on all the time whether it is in the context of good grammar or otherwise, and will continue to happen. Stop and count how many assumptions are formed around here about just about anything, there is no end to it.

This is inescapable because this is a text only medium. All we have to go by is text, so if you want to make a favorable impression, learn to write in a way that doesn't make you sound like a dumbass.

Koralatov
Senior User
Jan 27, 2008, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Faust View Post
Some of the responses by a few veteran users do come off as being a little pert at times.
Okay, so I know I just spouted off about how I don't want to be a sanctimonious ass, but I thought that comment really needed to be preserved for posterity in case you noticed it and corrected it.

My apologies, but I really couldn't resist.

Edit: And after a quick look at the Dictionary in OSX, I now look like a total ass. I didn't realise that "pert" could also mean "impudent".

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2008, 06:21 PM

Koraltov: I don't think I'm being harsh when what I said is qualified (as I tried to do) and the mistakes in question are *consistent* and particular errors. I'm not sure I buy the whole "linguistic minded" argument either. I don't have an English background, and I know many others that don't either yet have figured out these basic grammatical rules.

Like anything, a certain amount of skill can be learned... Perhaps being linguistic minded makes this come more naturally, but I still maintain that anybody with a functioning brain and no obvious disadvantage can figure out the differences between "your" and "you're". I just don't think it is that hard - certainly no harder than figuring out how to use your computer well enough to register and post here

boots
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2008, 06:36 PM

Well, you could just check the MLA if you're a college student. I think the MLA killed it way back in 90s. Or, you could just do a search. Maybe you're too young to remember typesetting?
Nope, they didn't kill it. But the reason for one space being accepted is because of justification, not because two spaces is stylistically wrong. If it's not justified or type set, two spaces are fine.

Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2008, 06:40 PM

I respond to anyone who I can understand without trying hard.

I don't respond to people who write blocks of text; not paragraphs, mind you, just huge chunks. I also get frustrated with people who get pissed off at being told they've done something wrong when they came here asking for help.

I am in favor of taking out the family of anyone who comes in here saying "MAC." Why? Because if they are saying MAC then it's pretty clear that they have not really done much in the way of trying to figure out the problem for themselves. Plus the fact that "Mac" non-capitalized is written on practically everything you see when you get a new computer, on every Mac website and all over these forums. If they can't see that, it's unlikely they'll be able to follow troubleshooting directions or what have you.

Forum Links
Forum Rules