Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > My MacPro won't auto sleep with iTunes open

My MacPro won't auto sleep with iTunes open
mediahound
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 4, 2009, 12:41 AM

My MacPro won't auto sleep with iTunes open. If I quit iTunes and leave the computer, it will goto sleep after inactivity. But with iTunes open (not playing anything) it will try to go to sleep (I can hear the drive spinning down and right back up) but it won't go to sleep mode.

Anyone have ideas? I'd really like it to be able to sleep even if iTunes is open. How can it be 'Energy Saver' if it doesn't really work unless you remember to quit applications, etc.?

EndlessMac
Senior User
Sep 4, 2009, 07:20 PM

Are you logged into our iTunes store account? My guess is that iTunes might be trying to contact the store which prevents your computer from going to sleep. Trying login out of your iTunes store account and see if that works.

You can also try going to your energy saver menu in System Preferences and uncheck the two wake up options so that your computer won't wake when it get communications from external sources. I have a hunch that's your problem.

mediahound  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 4, 2009, 07:27 PM

Why would it contact the store behind the scenes though? That seems strange.

I was logged into it so will try it logged out.

I did not have those Energy Saver checkboxes checked however.

EndlessMac
Senior User
Sep 4, 2009, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by mediahound View Post
Why would it contact the store behind the scenes though? That seems strange.
I remember reading something on the internet awhile back about iTunes being accused of collecting data about a person's listening or buying habits on iTunes and then sending that information back to Apple. If that is true it would most likely do that in the background.

Anyway it's based on a hunch I had. If that doesn't solve your problem then I don't know what your issue is. I always manually sleep my computer so I don't rely on the auto sleep function.

OreoCookie
Sep 7, 2009, 06:30 AM

I remember you were asking about iTunes sharing a week ago or so, right?
The reason may be simple: as long as someone is connected to your library, the Mac won't go to sleep. This is probably true even if the iTunes library isn't actually used by the remote computer.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

mediahound  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 7, 2009, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
I remember you were asking about iTunes sharing a week ago or so, right?
The reason may be simple: as long as someone is connected to your library, the Mac won't go to sleep. This is probably true even if the iTunes library isn't actually used by the remote computer.
It does it when nothing is sharing though. I'm running some tests with it with not being connected to the store. Sorta strange that Apple's own software doesn't play nice with the OS.

mediahound  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 15, 2009, 07:36 AM

Just an update, this seems much better in Snow Leopard. My Mac is auto-sleeping now no matter what setting I have in iTunes as long as nothing is playing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules