Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > pismo running os 8.6

pismo running os 8.6
legionare
Dedicated MacNNer
May 27, 2001, 08:42 PM

alright, i've this game-pazner general (circa 1996)-that
bombs 9.x with address errors... 8.6 is the absolute latest
mac os it will run on...

so has anyone successfully booted pismo (pb 2000 firewire)
with os 8.6?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 28, 2001, 04:50 AM

If it can be done (which I doubt), it's a really, really bad idea! 8.6 came out long before the Pismo, and doesn't know its hardware. Heck, even the original 9.0 (9.0.0) doesn't support the Pismo (9.0.2 or higher). Running an older OS is just asking for trouble.

You may be able to get your old game to run by getting this small control panel or extension that patches 9's memory manager to have the same functions as 8.6 and older (Apple warned developers years in advance to not use certain functions, as they were slated to be removed in a future version of Mac OS. That version turned out to be 9.0.). Alas, I don't know the name of the extension, but by visiting the Mac OS 9 pages on the troubleshooting sites (macfixit.com, xlr8yourmac.com, and macintouch.com), you should be able to find reference to it.

Note that if you have trouble finding it, search for early references of Mac OS 9 and ATM incompatibility, since it is the same bug that afflicted that program (before a special Mac OS 9-only version of ATM was released).

tooki

Dan Szwarc
Senior User
May 28, 2001, 07:04 PM

Now that connectix's Virtual PC for PC's is out (allowing you run W95 from within W2000 or W98, etc.) maybe someone should come out with a product that allows you to run OS8.6 or lower from within OSX?
Let's make Classic run REALLY classic apps.

Are you listening, Connectix? Emulation within the OS is an awesome way to maintain backwards compatibility. And if they can figure out how to access the hardware thorugh OSX without violating any rules, it should rock!

Dan
"I guarantee that I am correct."
(not a guarantee)

Q27
May 29, 2001, 12:35 AM

Just run Virtual PC and then under Virtual PC run a mac emulator. That should really crawl and make it the speed so you don't have to slow down classic games.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 29, 2001, 03:30 AM

LOL!

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules