Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Can't switch resolutions on a 5500

Can't switch resolutions on a 5500
duck
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2000, 11:25 PM

I'm having some issues with my Powermac 5500/250 in that it is no longer letting me use any resolution other than 640x480. I can change colour depths fine.

The strange thing is that SwitchRes will let me use all the resolutions I want, but I don't really think I should have to pay for something just to obtain normal functionality out of my mac Anyone know what defines what resolutions are "good" and what resolutions are "bad"?

Any suggestions on how to fix this problem? I've tried reinstalling the system, zapping the PRAM and pressing the CUDA reset on the motherboard.

Tintim
Aug 18, 2000, 10:07 AM

Hey, nice to see another Mac user from Australia, I am in Melbourne. I have a Power Mac 5500 and the resolutions are working fine. You said you have tried all those and it still doesn't work properly? That's strange. Have you tried using the Control Strip?

Sune Lilb�k
Aug 18, 2000, 10:15 AM

hola

Try using "Multiple Resoultions", the old version might be better than the newest if you don't feel like paying.

Old version: ftp://ftp.loria.fr/mnt/pub4/mac/infomac/cfg/multi-resolutions-12.hqx

New version: ftp://ftp.amug.org/pub/amug/amug-files/system/control-strip/multi-resolutions-2.1.sit.hqx

Hope this helps.

Cipher13
Aug 18, 2000, 07:44 PM

My 5500/250 has never had probs with resolutions...
The monitor in it can handle any resolutions the Monitors CP lists. Make sure, in the Monitors CP, you have selected in the pop-up menu to show all resolutions.
I run mine at 1024*768, no probs.
Sorry I couldn't be much help, very strange problem...
BTW, anyone that has gotten LinuxPPC 2000 working on a 5500, please email me!

Cipher13

duck  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2000, 10:00 PM

Yes I've tried to change the popup, but it won't let me. As I said, I used to be able to use them all with no problems.

I tried to use LinuxPPC, but unfortunately the CD-R I bought for $2 didn't have the files in the right place for the redhat installer, so I couldn't get it to install. I did get BeOS PR2 to work, many years ago

Tintim
Aug 18, 2000, 10:05 PM

I tried BeOS PR2 on my 5500 too and it works fine. I know of a site where you can download it, if anyone is interested.

Cipher13, have you tried the LinuxPPC installer at http://ftp.linuxppc.org/linuxppc-2000/install/

Gabriel
Aug 19, 2000, 01:58 PM

I do have a mac 5500/250 with OS 8.6 and the Monitors and sound ver. 1.5 working fine...

I do switch resolutions from the control strip, but the 1024 x 768 can only be accesed in the M & S control panel.

Try removing the monitors and sound preferences file and restart the mac.

Or take out the motherboard and disconnect the bttery for some minutes

I hope it helps.

------------------
Gabriel

Cipher13
Aug 22, 2000, 07:52 AM

Haven't tried that file... I burned the CD and tried booting from it... no joy. I'll try that - thanks.
On mine (OS 9 - may downgrade soon - too slow with only 32 RAM), I can access all resolutions form the CS - have you got show "all" resolitions set in the M&S CP?
Thats how i got them to show i think...

Cipher13

reader50
Administrator
Aug 23, 2000, 04:55 AM

Hold down the Control key when clicking on the Monitor Resolution control strip module. All available resolutions will show.

duck  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2000, 09:21 AM

I tried all the solutions listed above. It's as if my mac thinks the display can only do 640x 480

duck  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 29, 2000, 07:57 PM

Just an update.. it was very badly corrupted PRAM. Had to disconnect the PRAM battery for an hour, plug it back in and press the CUDA reset. On powerup, the POST took a few mins, and then the screen had a yellow tinge to it. zapped the PRAM conventionally three times, and it disappeared. I can now choose all the other resolutions too!

Happy happy joy joy!

Mr T
Sep 10, 2000, 09:54 AM

Hey thanks, that fixed a 5500 at work I hadn't really had all that much time to play with it and no one had noticed as it sits in a room of 5260s.

Mark

Forum Links
Forum Rules