Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OSX G4 AGP installation problem nailed!!!

OSX G4 AGP installation problem nailed!!! (Page 3)
pcurtner
Forum Regular
Oct 3, 2000, 11:13 AM

Installed OS X PB onto an old APS external SCSI-1 4 gig drive this weekend and it went flawlessly:

G4/400 AGP, 9 months old
256 MB SDRAM (1 dimm)
Matshita DVD-RAM drive rev A113
ROM rev $77D.45F6
Boot ROM ver $0003.24f1
Mac OS ROM ver 3.8
Apple-installed Adaptec 2930 PCI SCSI card

BTW, does anyone know if the DVD-RAM drives have the same limitations on region codes? I'm sure they do, but I rarely watch movies on this machine anyway...

-pwc

Mattias
Oct 4, 2000, 06:58 AM

Had a lot of trouble installing OSX with g4/400 and the original DVD-ROM drive. Tried a older CD-ROM drive instead and it worked!
So the conclusion is, that there is probably some problems with the DVD-ROM drive.

BigJoe
Oct 4, 2000, 08:29 AM

One thing to watch out for that caused me to struggle for a few days on my G4 was that the installer would not recognize my original ATA drive.
The installer got to the screen where a destination drive had to be selected and it only showed the "Greyed out" Mac OS X cd. My drive was not shown. After several days of clean installs, PRAM zaps, 9.0.4 updates, Firmware updates....you name it, I finally figured out last night that it didn't like the fact that I had the drive selected to be "master" even though it was the only drive in the machine. Once I removed the jumper, the install went like clockwork!
Maybe this will help someone else.
BigJoe

MadMan
Oct 5, 2000, 01:39 AM

I think were're getting a little off topic here....

Anyways, has anyone had any luck swapping the agp card for another rage128 or a radeon and installing? Has anyone had anyluck with the Voodoo 5? I'm thinkin' its a video card issue based on the success I've seen with other people switching res/bit depth, however I've had no such luck.

On an aside, I was thinking that my 3rd party ram module could of been the culprit... removed... no effect. =(

I think anything else I try will be breaking new ground, thats how much I've tried to get this thing to boot from the CD. I just hangs and the Happy Mac...

Fed
Oct 5, 2000, 09:10 AM

I have two stock Blue and White G3's - 1st booted from the X beta CD, 2nd did not. After reading others problems and suggestions I swaped the DVD drives, 2nd now will boot from the X beta CD. Have not yet had time to check differences in the DVD drives.

theriver
Oct 5, 2000, 10:41 AM

[/B][/QUOTE]
Originally posted by Mattias:
Had a lot of trouble installing OSX with g4/400 and the original DVD-ROM drive. Tried a older CD-ROM drive instead and it worked!
So the conclusion is, that there is probably some problems with the DVD-ROM drive.

This problem is so interesting mostly because so many solutions seem obvious, but don't work for everyone or even a lot of people.

It seems like the DVD drive must be the culprit because it's obvious and swapping out works for some people. Unfortunately, for many people with the same problems, the DVD was just a symptom, not the problem. I'm glad it worked for you...but you were perhpas just lucky.

For those of you with this problem just newly posting, the "fix" that seems to have had some success is the following:

-reformat your drives with a partition for OS X
-install a copy of OS 9 on that partition...to be used only when you are using OS X
-remove ANY video cards that are not supplied by Apple at the factory for YOUR specific machine
-Update OS 9 with every update, in release order, since 4/4/00 (release of 9.0.4). Software Update panel may not necessarily install them in release order, so going to VersionTracker and getting them as stand alone installers is probably better.
-make absolutely SURE that you have properly terminated your ATA drives. If you don't do this, you might as well give up now.
-make sure that your DVD slave/master setting is correct.

The big deal? Make sure you let the installers pick the right video drivers for your factory installed card. Don't custom install...it seems, even though it is not obvious, that the problem is related to the video hardware and software...so make sure that this happens correctly...especially with the Multimedia Update 1.0.

Good luck...this has not worked for everyone, but it has worked for some.

Judson Owens

NicB
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 5, 2000, 04:42 PM

The way I see it, the problem most of us seem to have is purely down to firmware & hardware, since the thing hangs up so early in the process of booting from a CD - surely, whatever variant of the Mac OS ROM we have on the hard drive is irrelevant since the machine never gets that far.

When I tried restarting with the "V" key down (in 832 x 624 / thousands) it froze with the last two lines being:

AppleOHCI: config@ 6068000 (80082000)
AppleOHCI: config@ 606e000 (80081000)

and the line immediately below had a solid cursor block at the start. Frozen solid.

From all the previous posts here, there still seem to be too many variables - some must be red herrings.

My own situation is that I've tried two CDs, delivered about two weeks apart. Been on to Apple, zapped PRAM, reset everything in Open Firmware, changed resolution... etc. Will keep trying small variations but unfortunately have no other suitable machine to use nor alternate CD/DVD drives. When I've posted this I'm going to open up and check any ID numbers on the motherboard and post those.

Keep hunting!

kdredington
Oct 5, 2000, 07:12 PM

For those of you trying th Open Firmware commands, get a hold of SystemDisk Control Panel 3.1d2. This came with Darwin the last time I downloaded it. It has an advanced options window that gives you more info on your drives you wish to boot from and allows OF command sends without the hastle of booting into OF.

Kevin

NicB
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 6, 2000, 09:27 AM

Hi, still no luck starting off the CD. I've disconnected the internal HD, tried all combinations of a 64Mb & 128Mb DIMMS, removed the DVD drive and connected it to the motherboard with the short cable from the HD; changed the jumper on the DVD to all three positions (it was correct as Master from the factory). No change.

Someone had suggested starting up with "S" held for single user mode - this just gave me the same screen as "V".

OK, let's look at the motherboard to see if that gets any closer to a single common item.

The ID labels which I guess may identify variants are:

Screen printed just under the edge of the processor card next to the IDE cable: 820-1094-A

Stamped in white ink near the top edge of the left DIMM socket: C12B

Printed label at the top next to the PCI slot covers: KD02207MHYQTD INDONESIA P10MLB

On the AGP card, component side, a label on a small chip says: R128P 63001

Please post here if you have the same problem and any of these numbers look significantly the same on your system.

I've given Apple an extensive report on this today; they are going to call me back on Monday when they have checked out a G4 with as near an identical configuration as they can.

Keep posting!

Additional:
Luke from Apple called me back 10 minutes later, his G4 with the same ROM rev and boot ROM version booted OK. The number on his graphics card is earlier; since mine ends in 001 I wonder if it's a sign of a first version of a revision. (I never trust 001's!).

Other numbers on Luke's motherboard are also different. He are going to investigate more and get back to me - if you're reading this Luke, thanks for the quick work!

Nic

[This message has been edited by NicB (edited 10-06-2000).]

Sven - Not Registered
Oct 6, 2000, 09:53 AM

Hi! I'm having the same boot problem on my G4/400/Gigabit (freezing after AppleOHCI).

The labels on my mobo look a bit different:

Screen printed just under the edge of the processor card next to the IDE cable: 820-1153-A

Stamped in white ink near the top edge of the left DIMM socket: J11B

Printed label at the top next to the PCI slot covers: KD02800M4K2JC INDONESIA P15MLB

On the AGP card, component side, a label on a small chip says: R128P 72701

My OS X CD works on a beige G3. When I try installing it on a PPC8500 (where DP4 worked without problems) it looks like on my G4: Color wheel on the left and nothing is happening. To me it looks more and more like this is a problem of the OS X boot code.

MadMan
Oct 6, 2000, 02:06 PM

NicB --

I seem to have almost the same rig as you do....

Next to the Proc. by the IDE cable: 820-1094-A

Stamped on the Mobo, next to the left dimm: B11A

Printed next to the PCI slot covers:
KD0090FHCHQTB INDONESIA P10 MLB

Component side of the AGP card: R128P 63001

Very close..... However, I dont seem to be having EXACTLY the same boot problem as you, but it's fairly close. Booting from the CD - to install X freezes at the Happy Mac. Booting from verbose mode yields:

minimum scheduling quantum is 10 ms
vm_page_bootstrap: 30454

Then it just sites there with a solid why cursor block at the next line. Frozen solid, and thats all it says, no page full of text first, just those 2 lines. Nothing I've tried, which is everything ;-) has had any effect.

Brettc
Oct 7, 2000, 11:16 PM

FYI:
"Cannot bless system folder" (-44) or something like that was the error message. Mine won't boot/install either. The very same CD installed fine on my Wallstreet G3.

Setup: G4MP 500
Active enabler: Mac OS ROM 4.9.1
ROM revision: $77D.45F6
Boot ROM version: $0003.31f1
Mac OS ROM file version: 4.9.1

DVD-RAM Matshita
Driver: 1.3.8
Rev #: A109
DVD-RAM LF-D211A

I hope this helps us at some point...
[email protected]

Peter Apockotos
Oct 9, 2000, 06:58 AM

This is what I sent to Apple's MacOS X Feedback:

When I boot from the MacOS X Public Beta I get a grayed broken system folder and cannot boot from the CD to install.

Memory overview
Disk cache: 7.96 MB
Virtual memory: is off
Built-in memory: 448 MB
* = These are slower DIMMs
Location Size Memory type
DIMM0/J21 128 MB PC100-222S
DIMM1/J22 128 MB PC100-222S
DIMM2/J23 128 MB PC100-222S
DIMM3/J24 64 MB PC100-322S*
Video memory: 16 MB
Backside L2 cache: 1 MB
Hardware overview
Machine ID: 406
Model name: Power Mac G4 (AGP graphics)
Keyboard type: Apple USB Keyboard
Processor info: PowerPC G4
Machine speed: 400 MHz
Nanokernel version: 2.13
Nanokernel pool extends: 10
Nanokernel scheduled CPUs:1
Network overview
Ethernet built-in Link: up Speed: 10 Mbps Duplex: half
Modem
Name:
Protocol: V.90
Version:
Open Transport
Installed: Yes
Active: Yes
Version: 2.6.1
AppleTalk
Active: No
Version: Not available
TCP/IP
Personal Web Sharing: is off
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
IP address: 24.161.238.103
Default gateway address: 24.161.238.1
Domain:
Name server address: 24.92.1.1
Printer overview
Desktop Printer (Default)
Printer name: Lexmark Z22/Z32
Printer status: Idle
Printer type: Serial
Printer driver: Lexmark Z22/Z32
Printer version: 1.0.0
Printer icon name: Lexmark Z22/Z32
Printer location: *
Production information
Boot ROM version: $0003.24f1
Mac OS ROM file version: 3.8
Serial number: XB0221X1-HSE-ffff
Software bundle:
Sales order number: M7641LL/A
Devices and Volumes
USB 0 1.4.2
Hub
Product ID: 4386 ($1122)
Vendor: Philips Semiconductors
Driver version: 1.4.2
Driver name: USBHub0Apple
Power (mA): 500 ($1f4)
Release number: 1.1
Serial number:
Keyboard (Apple USB Keyboard)
Product ID: 513 ($201)
Vendor: Apple Computer (Mitsumi Electric)
Driver version: 1.4.1
Driver name: USBHIDKeyboardModule1.4.1
Power (mA): 220 ($dc)
Release number: 1.0.3
Serial number: Not available
Hub (Hub in Apple USB Keyboard)
Product ID: 4097 ($1001)
Vendor: Apple Computer (Mitsumi Electric)
Release number: 2.1.1
Mouse (M4848)
Product ID: 769 ($301)
Vendor: Apple Computer (Logitech)
Driver name: USBHIDMouseDriver
Power (mA): 100 ($64)
Release number: 5.0.2
Serial number:
56USB-SP V.90/K56flex USB MODEM
Product ID: 29809 ($7471)
Vendor: Vendor 5013 (Best Data )
Driver version: 1.0d1
Driver name: Smart One 56USB-SP Modem
Release number: 1.0
Serial number:
Vendor-specific
Product ID: 16568 ($40b8)
Vendor: Microtek International Inc.
Driver version: 1.0.1f2
Driver name: ScanMaker 3700
Release number: 0.0
Serial number:
USB 1 1.4.2
Printing (Inkjet color printer)
Product ID: 23 ($17)
Vendor: Lexmark International Inc. (Lexmark)
Driver version: 1.2.5
Driver name: USBPrintDriver1.2.5
Serial number:
Firewire 2.5
Internal ATA 2
ID = 0
Hard drive
Driver version: Not available
Mac OS partitions: 1
Removable media: No
Vendor: QUANTUM
Revision number: A35.0700
Product ID: FIREBALLP LM10.2
Serial number: 882052760961
Size: 10.26 GB (1K = 1000)
Capacity: 9.56 GB (1K = 1024)

untitled
Volume format: Mac OS Extended (HFS+)
Capacity: 9.56 GB
Available: 9.55 GB
Percent full: 0
Write protected: No
Is being file shared: No
ID = 1
Hard drive
Driver version: 3.2.5
Vendor: Maxtor
Revision number: DAC10SC0
Product ID: 54098H8
Serial number: K80B6G2C
Size: 40.95 GB (1K = 1000)
Capacity: 38.16 GB (1K = 1024)

Warp Core
Capacity: 38.16 GB
Available: 36.76 GB
Percent full: 3
Internal ATA 0
ID = 0
DVD-ROM drive
Driver version: 1.3.5
Mac OS partitions: 0
Removable media: Yes
Vendor: TOSHIBA
Revision number: 1030
Product ID: DVD-ROM SD-R1002

No mounted media inserted
ID = 1
Hard drive
Vendor: ST31012A
Revision number: 0.42
Product ID: Not available
Serial number: XL199018
Size: 1 GB (1K = 1000)
Capacity: 1 GB (1K = 1024)

Mac OS
Capacity: 1 GB
Available: 498.35 MB
Percent full: 51
PCI
Slot SLOT-A
Display card
Card type: display
Card name: ATY,Rage128Ps
Card model: ATY,Rage128Pro
Card ROM #: 113-63001-110
Card revision: 0
Card vendor ID: 1002
VRAM size: 16 MB

Display
Screen Size (pixels): 1024 x 768
Grays/Colors: Millions
Resolution (dpi): 72 x 72
Additional Information: Main screen

This is what is listed in verbose mode during startup.

AppleOHCI: config @ aee6000 (80082000)
AppleOHCI: config @ af73000 (80081000)
AppleUSBRootHub: USB Generic Hub @ 1
AppleOHCI: unimplemented Set Overcurrent Change Feature
AppleUSBRootHub: Hub attached � Self powered, power supply good
AppleUSBRootHub: USB Generic Hub @ 1
AppleOHCI: unimplemented Set Overcurrent Change Feature
PMU running om NonPolling hardware
Struct nfsnode bloated (>256 bytes)
Try reducing NFS_SMALLFH
nfs_nhinit: bad size 268
devfs enabled
IP packet filtering initialized, divert enabled, rule-based forwarding enabled, default to accept, logging disabled
IOKitBDSInit
From path: /pci@f2000000/pci-bridge@d/mac-io@7/ata-3@20000/disk@0:9, \mach_kernel, Waiting on <dict ID="0"><key>IOProviderClass</key><string ID="1">IOMedia</string><key>IOPath Separator</key><string ID="2"> : </string><key>IOPath Extension</key><string ID="3">9</string><key>IOLocationMatch</key><dict ID="4"><key>IOUnit</key><integer size="32" ID="5">0x0</integer><key>IOLocationMatch</key><dict ID="6"><key>IOPathMatch</key><string ID="7">IODeviceTree:/pci@f2000000/pci-bridge@d/mac-io@7/ata-3@20000</string></dict></dict></dict>
IOUSBHub: USB Generic Hub @ 2
IOUSBHub: Hub attached - Self/Bus powered, power supply good
IOATAHDDrive: Using U-DMA/66 transfers.
IOHDDrive drive: , QUANTUM FIREBALL LM10.2, rev A35.0700 [ATA].
IOHDDrive Media: 20066251 blocks, 512 bytes each, write-enabled.
IOATAHDDrive: Using U-DMA/66 transfers.
IOHDDrive drive: , MAXTOR 54098H8, rev DAC10SCO [ATA].
IOHDDrive Media: 80041248 blocks, 512 bytes each, write-enabled.
UniNEnet: Debugger client attached
UniNEnet: Ethernet address 00:30:65:96:8a:f6
ether_ifattach called for en
IOUSBHub: USB Generic Hub @ 4
IOUSBHub: Hub attached - Bus powered
AppleKeyboard: USB Generic Keyboard @ 6
AppleMouse: USB Generic Mouse @ 7
IOATAHDDrive: Using DMA transfers
IOHDDrive drive: , ST31012A, rev 0.42 [ATA].
IOHDDrive Media: 2114784 blocks, 512 bytes each, write-enabled.
IOATAPIDVDDrive: Using DMA transfers.
IODVDDrive drive: TOSHIBA, DVD-ROM SD-R1002, rev 1030 [ATAPI].
IODVDDrive [IOCDDrive]::acceptNewMedia; err ' I/O error' from cacheTocInfo
IODVDDrive [IOHDDrive]:: checkForMedia; err ' I/O error' from acceptNewMedia
Ethernet(UniN): Link is up at 10 Mbps - Half Duplex
Still waiting for root device.

JimB
Oct 12, 2000, 08:47 AM

Has anyone received a response from Apple, yet?

everydayJ
Oct 12, 2000, 08:05 PM

I installed on my powerbook last week with no problems. Installed on a B&W yesterday with no problems. Got a new Dual 450Mhz machine today. So did my coworker. He had no problems at all with his machine and his OSX CD.
My machine:
Wouldn't boot to the CD to begin with. I had already wiped the drive clean and installed OS9.0.4 on a second partition. Newest stuff. Booted back to OS9. Selected the Installer icon in the mounted OSX Installer CD, agreed to continue and it booted correctly to the installer program.

My problem seems different from some others here, but I'm not sure. I get halfway through the install process and it tells me that the operation cannot continue and to try again. I've tried 4 times. other forums have suggested cleaning the CD will do the trick. Not here. Tried my coworkers CD. Same problem. From the installer log file, it is getting to a different point in the install process each time before getting an error that it could not connect to object RulebookServer and server RulebookServer.

This machine is straight out of the box, nothing added, nothing removed (well, except the OS9 install that shipped). In one of the error logs, it refers to an "Early MountVolume return value 0" and then it seems that the installer tries to do all kinds of things to recover from this. Interestingly, when I run disk first aid (OSX CD version), it finds a mountcheck error. It then tries to fix the problem. says that it does, but when i run DFA again, it shows up again.

this is really odd.

good luck all,
jonathan

Graeme Bennett
Oct 14, 2000, 03:22 AM

I have experienced a similar problem to those noted here. My machine is a new dual G4/500 with a DVD-RAM drive, a 22" Cinema Display and the standard Rage 128 Pro card. I have one 256MB DIMM.

Mac OS 9 and Restore CDs boot fine. Mac OS X CDs (I've tried two) boot fine. Mac OS X apparently installs fine, but then things go downhill. As reported by someone earlier in this thread, after rebooting, I get a blank blueish screen with the little rotating circle in the upper left corner of the screen, alternating with the arrow every minute or so. If I leave it on this screen for a REALLY long time, it eventually gets to an OS X Setup Assistant (v63) Page, with no functions and nothing but an "About Assistant" dialog -- it's the only option that can be accessed. I've left it for hours, it never seems to go beyond here.

I've tried a different (VGA type) monitor, different resolutions, disconnecting the DVD-RAM (after installation), using verbose mode (error in the log is as listed in the previous message: "Early..."), holding the Option key at startup, reformatting the drive, restoring the original OS 9 config, repartitioning the drive, you name it. Nothing seems to work.

So, I'm not alone. That's not much comfort. Ideas?

Please cc to [email protected]
Thanks in advance,
Graeme Bennett (www.macbuyersguide.com)

kps111
Forum Regular
Oct 14, 2000, 10:03 AM

After a month long wait I finaly received OSX and installed it on Tuesday, It installed without any problems, booted, classic runs ok but applications and 'classic' itself sometimes do crash. I have not gotten my USB printer to work or found a way to use the Adaptec 2906 SCSI card to work on OSX. Linux finds the Adaptec card with it's built in drivers, so I hope Apple will include this in the final release.

Below is a Profile report, I hope it helps.

Report Created:10/14/2000 at 09:43:09 AM

Memory overview
Disk cache: 4 MB
Virtual memory: 129 MB
Used on volume: Scratch
Built-in memory: 128 MB
* = These are slower DIMMs
DIMM0/J21 64 MB PC100-322S*
DIMM1/J22 64 MB PC100-222S

Hardware overview
Machine speed: 350 MHz
Nanokernel pool extends: 10
Production information
Mac OS ROM file version: 3.7
Serial number: Xxxxxxxxxxxx
Software bundle:
Sales order number: M7827LL/A
Devices and Volumes
USB 0 1.4.2 No devices found on this bus
USB 1 1.4.2
Keyboard (Apple USB Keyboard)
Vendor: Apple Computer (Alps Electric)
Power (mA): 250 ($fa)
Release number: 1.0.2
Hub (Hub in Apple USB Keyboard)
Product ID: 4097 ($1001)
Release number: 2.1
Mouse (USB Mouse)
Product ID: -16373 ($c00b)
Vendor: Logitech Inc. (Logitech)
Driver version: 1.3f3
Driver name: USBMouseWareIntf1.3
Release number: 6.1
Serial number:
Firewire 2.3.3
Internal ATA 2
ID = 0
Hard drive
Mac OS partitions: 4
Vendor: WDC
Revision number: 83.10A83
Product ID: WD102AA
Serial number: WD-xxxxxxxxxxx
Size: 10.25 GB (1K = 1000)
Capacity: 9.55 GB (1K = 1024)

Sys-1
LINboot
CD-RW
OS/X
There are also two Linux partitions of type ext2 on this master drive

ID = 1
Hard drive
Driver version: 3.2.4
Mac OS partitions: 8
Vendor: ST320423A
Revision number: 3.02
Product ID: Not available
Serial number: xxxxxxxxx
Size: 20.47 GB (1K = 1000)
Capacity: 19 GB (1K = 1024)

extra1
SYSmain
Programs
Documents
Downloads
Scratch
Cache
bkup

Internal ATA 0
ID = 0
DVD-ROM drive
Vendor: MATSHITA
Revision number: s15C
Product ID: DVD-ROM SR-8584A

SCSI Bus 0
ID = 1
Hard drive
Mac OS partitions: 2
Vendor: QUANTUM
Revision number: 5900
Product ID: LPS540S
Size: 541.48 MB (1K = 1000)
Capacity: 516.41 MB (1K = 1024)

KAR400
Note: not mounted
Capacity: 415.81 MB
KAR400
Note: not mounted
Capacity: 415.81 MB
ID = 3
CD-ROM drive
Revision number: 1.0p
Product ID: CD-ROM CR-8004

ID = 5
Removable media
Driver version: 6.0.6f1
Vendor: IOMEGA
Revision number: N*32
Product ID: ZIP 100

PCI
Slot SLOT-A
Display card
Card ROM #: 113-63001-108

Display
Screen Size (pixels): 1024 x 768
Slot SLOT-C
PCI Slot
Card type: Not available
Card name: pci9004,7850
Card model: Not available
Card ROM #: Not available
Card revision: 3
Card vendor ID: 9004

Graeme Bennett
Oct 14, 2000, 07:56 PM

I finally solved the problem noted in my message, above.

To recap: After an apparently successful installation of Mac OS X, it would get to a blank screen with a "rainbow spinner" in the upper-left corner and just hang there. I tried everything I could think of: reformatting, repartitioning, reinstalling, different resolutions, verbose boot options, disconnecting various devices -- all to no avail. In my search for an answer to this problem, I read literally hundreds of messages here and on MacFixit.com, MacInTouch and several other locations, where, in each case, users of dual G4s were having similar problems.

The solution turned out to be one recommended in a Sept. 29th message by Bill Bumgarner in MacInTouch's OS X report. I needed to:

1) Reset the machine
2) Press Cmd+Option+O+F immediately after startup
3) Disable the second CPU by typing: setenv boot-args cpus=1
4) Warm boot by typing: boot
5) Hold the C key to boot from the Mac OS X CD. Installation then proceeded normally.

This particular sequence of commands effectively disables the second CPU in the computer. (Setenv boot-args cpus=2 re-enables the second CPU.) Clearly, this is a bug Apple should be addressing before the nascent operating system's final release.

I've documented this issue further at www.MacBuyersGuide.com

greg7
Oct 15, 2000, 02:10 AM

ok here's what i know
my G4 400 will NOT boot OS X
it doesn't seem to be the DVD drive cause i swapped it out with a smurf G3's CD drive and still nothing

then i put my hard drive into the G3 and installed OS X onto my hard drive (worked perfectly) but when i put the hard drive back into my G4 the exact same freeze happened as with the CD boot

of course ive also tried all the other stuff like unhooking and removing 3rd party HW including RAM and 2nd slave hard drive

also my DVD drive won't work at all on the slave setting i tried that just for kicks

i tried updating my ROM to 3.8 from 3.7 (via the "Ethernet Update") but that didn't help

here's my specs
System: 9.0.4 US
Active enabler: PowerPC Enabler 9.0.4
QuickTime: 5.0a5
File sharing: is on
Multiple Users: 1.1
Startup device
Name: G4 Drive
Type: Hard drive
Bus: Internal ATA
Memory overview
Disk cache: 6 MB
Virtual memory: is off
Built-in memory: 192 MB
PC100-222S
DIMM0/J21 64 MB SDRAM
DIMM1/J22 128 MB SDRAM

Hardware overview
Machine speed: 400 MHz
Nanokernel pool extends: 9
Network overview
Ethernet built-in Link: down Speed: n/a Duplex: n/a
PPP Link: down Speed: n/a Duplex: n/a
Serial Link: down Speed: n/a Duplex: n/a
Modem
Name:
Protocol:
Version:
Status: Modem in use; no further information can be gathered.
Open Transport
AppleTalk
Version: 60
File sharing: is on
Default AppleTalk zone: Not available
Active network port(s): Ethernet built-in

This network: 65280
This node: 154
Router: <not available>
Hardware Address: 00.30.65.8F.17.90

TCP/IP
Personal Web Sharing: is off
Netmask: 0.0.0.0
IP address: private
Default gateway address: 0.0.0.0
Domain:
Name server address: private
Printer overview

Printer driver: SC 860
Driver version: 6.01E
Printer location: Not available
Production information
Serial number: don't think you need that
Software bundle:
Sales order number: M7641LL/A
Devices and Volumes
USB 0 1.4.2
Keyboard (M2452)
Release number: 1.0.1
Hub
Product ID: 21931 ($55ab)
Vendor: NEC
Mouse (Microsoft IntelliMouse�� Explorer)
Product ID: 30 ($1e)
Vendor: Microsoft Corporation (Microsoft)
Driver version: 17.0f10
Driver name: IntelliPoint
Release number: 1.1.4
Serial number:
USB 1 1.4.2 No devices found on this bus
Firewire 2.4
Internal ATA 2
ID = 0
Hard drive
Revision number: DA620XS0
Product ID: 51024U2
Serial number: K20PDCQC
Size: 10.23 GB (1K = 1000)
Capacity: 9.54 GB (1K = 1024)

Mac OS X
Capacity: 9.54 GB
Available: 8.74 GB
Percent full: 8
Is being file shared: Yes
ID = 1
Hard drive
Vendor: IBM
Revision number: TX4OA50C
Product ID: DTLA-307030
Serial number: YK0YKL66935
Size: 30.72 GB (1K = 1000)
Capacity: 28.62 GB (1K = 1024)

G4 Drive
Capacity: 28.62 GB
Available: 4.78 GB
Percent full: 83
Is being file shared: Yes
Internal ATA 0
ID = 0
DVD-ROM drive
Revision number: 1A30
Product ID: DVD-ROM SR-8585

ID = 1
Removable media
Driver version: 6.0.6f1
Vendor: IOMEGA
Revision number: 04.H
Product ID: ZIP 100

PCI
Slot SLOT-A
Display card

Display
Screen Size (pixels): 1152 x 870
Slot SLOT-B
PCI Slot
Card type: Not available
Card name: pci109e,350
Card model: Not available
Card ROM #: Not available
Card revision: 18
Card vendor ID: 109E

(thats a Formac ProTV card in slot B)

note this is not my usual set up with peripherals and monitor but i dont think it should matter

feel free to email me with any questions (or answers!)

thanks for all you guys working on this problem
apple is not visibly doing so

thanks,
greg

[email protected]

NicB
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2000, 07:14 PM

Since a problem G4 appears not to boot off a working OS X CD or HD (when installed using another machine) the DVD drive must be a red herring. Ditto anything in OS 9, the MacOS ROM file etc.

I've been on to Apple many times now and the case keeps being escalated. So far they've asked for detail of all kinds of things in the machine, but appear no nearer to a fix.

Since screen res/depth appeared to be a fix, maybe it's the Rage card. But then again, didn't work for me.

Let's keep this thread alive; the most important posts will be from anyone who has managed to get it working after previously having the no-boot problem. Also, if anyone has access to several machines and can try swapping more components - especially the Rage card to eliminate that - please post.

Happy hunting!

gooffer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2000, 07:53 PM

another crazy situation. dG4/500/576mb/20gig/40gig

first install OS X public beta without a hitch, made mistake of going back to 9.0.4
after that I will just get the spinning cd of death after trying to reinstall OS Xpb
then today while reading this board from my PowerTowerProG3/400 I get the error on the OS Xpb cd, can't find installer file? I was suriously confused. It wouldn't boot from the CD either. I put it into my G3 and it just works fine, only difference on my G3 I can actually see the image that unlies the 6 item image of the CD. After quiting on the G3, I poped it back in the G4 and the cd worked again. Now I'm going to install it again while unpluging the monitor and then going for dinner, we'll see what happens.
*m

JimB
Oct 19, 2000, 08:55 AM

NicB - Ditto on keeping this post alive. I have a G4/400/gigabit/$77D.45F6. I have tried swapping Rage card with G4 that would boot Mac OS X CD. It still would not boot. I also tried all of the open firmware boot suggestions -- no luck. I, therefore, have concluded that I have a defective motherboard and that I am not alone. We need to keep this topic active to keep the pressure on Apple to fix this problem.

Peter Apockotos
Oct 19, 2000, 04:59 PM

I really do not think it is a defective motherboard and I will tell you why, I am able to install DP 4 with out a problem and I cannot install PB1.

NicB
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2000, 09:29 PM

After several calls to Apple Support, each time going over the same ground, I got an email address and have sent a long report. Rather than post it here, I've put it up at http://www.officeclever.com/g4/ in case you want to see it. One new thing I've not seen mentioned by anyone - Apple System Profiler has a USB log, and mine has several error messages in. Try running ASP just after a normal boot into OS 9.0.4 and let me know if you have the same

<SNIP>

2.971: [ 0]: Expert - Registered with Native Power Manager 0
9.982: [-1744499709]: Fatal Error: USBHIDKeyboardModule: Error during kReadInterruptPipe, -6982, 7
9.984: [-1744499452]: Fatal Error: USBHIDMouseModule: Error during ReadInterruptPipe, -6982, 6
9.985: [-1744499709]: Fatal Error: USBCompositeDriver - USBDisposeInterfaceRef - immediate error, -6999, -6978
9.985: [-1744499452]: Fatal Error: USBCompositeDriver - USBDisposeInterfaceRef - immediate error, -6999, -6978
9.986: [ 75576705]: Expert - Finalize returned: 0

</SNIP>

Keep it going!

mfessenden
Forum Regular
Oct 19, 2000, 10:22 PM

Just a note.... I have a Dual 450 G4 and have and the entire gamut of problems with the beta. Mostly the kernal errors (posted a page or two back in this thread) Never got the installer to run except once, but that was after I pulled some RAM from my machine... and I had black writing all over the screen with error messages the one time the installer came up. Usually I get an error and a freeze, or just a stuck cursor when I start up from the CD.

I tried the trick listed above... about disabling the second CPU in the Open Firmware screen. Well, I did that and when I typed 'boot', I got this message:

can't open: /pci@f2000000/pci-bridge@d/mac-io@7/ata-4@1f000/@0: 10, \\:tbxi

So I typed 'bye' and rebooted from the CD. It is noteworthy to say that this is the ONLY time the installer came upand ran smoothly... right up until the end. The blue bar was almost to the end when I went to get a cup of coffee. I came back and the happy mac was in the middle of the screen, but there was gibberish in the upper left corner (not a kernal panic, but the same type) I didn't write it down, but it was only a few letters. Oddly, I can no longer boot from the CD or the Mac OSX partition... kind of anticlimatic. I get the same panic errors I did before, or the system just freezes when I start up from the OSX partition.

Any ideas?

-Mike

gooffer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 2000, 12:51 AM

finally got it to install and it works...we'll sort of no sound, and no shut down restarts.

I had to unplug my monitor and partition my drive for it to work. Did both at the same time so I don't know which operation helped me. I will start another thread about my specific problems with OS xPB, keep trying.

------------------
*m
*m

JFischel
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2000, 07:36 AM

This monitor procedure, are you guys rebooting the machine - then yanking the monitor cable and then letting the software spin up and do it's thing?

Let us know how you're working it...

Thnx,

Josh
20 Inch Intel iMac * MacBook 2 GHz * 60GB iPod * 4GB iPhone

Marcusha!
Dec 8, 2000, 01:45 AM

I have an original (i.e single processor) AGP G4 450Mhz, ROM revision . MacOS X installs but then crashes with a kernel panic when starting up:

Unresolved kernel trap: 0x200 Machine Check DSISR=0x40000000 DAR=0x41145094 PC=0x0795c970
generating stack trace prior to panic:
backtrace: 0x0795c970 0x0003aa80 0x07959ead 0x079580ec 0x0793b998 0x07957f34 0x001c4e34 0x001c4c44 0x001b70d4 0x0003a8d0 0x0003a7fc
kernel modules in backtrace: AppleFWOHCI(0.1a)@0x7956000 com.apple.IOFireWireFamily(0.1a)@0x7938000
Memory access exception (1,0,0)

Waiting for remote debugger
-----------
Type "c" to continue
Type "r" to reboot

This is driving me crazy! From system info...

Boot ROM version: $0003.26f1

Internal ATA 2
ID = 0
Hard drive
Mac OS partitions: 2
Revision number: DA620XS0
Product ID: 52049U4
Serial number: K40GTA0C
Size: 20.47 GB (1K = 1000)
Capacity: 19 GB (1K = 1024)

Internal ATA 0
ID = 0
DVD-ROM drive
Vendor: HITACHI
Revision number: 0169
Product ID: DVD-ROM GD-7000

Can someone please, please start an AIM chat about this or something?

mfessenden
Forum Regular
Dec 31, 2000, 12:07 PM

Not sure if anyone cares anymore with OSX shipping in a few months, but I thought I might add a little to the waning discussion.

I've got a Dual 450 which has never been able to run the beta (my story is in here somewhere) Once, with my machine pulled apart on my desk, I got the installer to run all the way through. This morning, trying to see how the Lightwave preview runs under OSX, I pulled the machine apart again to see if the installation would run. It was installed on a 6g partition of my hard drive.

I had some luck starting up in verbose mode, a few times I got the panic alert, but it runs finally! I started putting components back in one by one (SCSI card, Miro board, 256 RAM module) The RAM is what seems to be doing it.... With it gone, the machine ran OSX flawlessly, DSL and all!

I tried putting my Belkin Hub back on for my scanner and zip drive, and got some more panics... but the RAM is what seems to be the stumbling point. I pulled everything except the Apple-installed 128 and it worked.

Mike

maccab\
Jan 4, 2001, 04:19 PM

Bwwah haha!!!! About a month ago on my iMac DV, I tried to install the PB.. After 50 times and no success, even with a zeroed hard drive, partitioned drive, and loads of memory, I just got it to install last night. The problem, nothing as far as I can tell. Just yesterday, on the first try, attempting to install just because of boredom, I managed to install it after I:
1. Deleted some files and games and stuff on my second partition, freeing up space.
2. Install a barebone copy of 9.0.4.
3. Made sure my new ram from Christmas and some from CompUSA was install correctly.
4. Opened the installer from the OSX disk...
5. Success!!!

For you people that did not get it to work successfully, did you choose the OSX disk from the CD's startup disk control panel or OS 9.0.4's? I have two version of the PB, I can tell by the number or languages supported, do you have the version with just three choosable languages or a whole list? It might possibly be your ram. None of mine is factory installed but installed right away after bought. Maybe try getting new RAM.

mfessenden
Forum Regular
Jan 12, 2001, 02:54 PM

The funny thing about this is that my dual450 now boots OSX pretty easily with a USB hub, Adaptec SCSI card and miroMotion card. It doesn't seem to have a problem with the RAM any more either. I still get kernal panics on startup every now and then, but now I can press 'c' to continue through them... weird.

What it doesn't like is the iMate adapter that holds my Lightwave dongle. OSX will not start up under any circumstances on my machine with it plugged in (I keep it plugged onto one of the USB outlets on my keyboard).

Mike

Maccab\
Jan 14, 2001, 11:33 PM

Did you have any problems before with the USB hub? I have a Belkin USB hub and I had no problem with it. I even had a Zip 650 CDRW drive, ZIP 250, PDA USB adapter, and a Epson 777i printer hooked up to the hub. O well, my iMac has been doing great with OSX. The only problems I'm have with OSX right now is the lack of software and the uncompleted PPP connect app. Anyways, OSX rules!!! :-)

mjb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2001, 09:03 PM

Just adding to the overwhelming roar - I've got a Powermac G4 466 that I can't install Mac OS X PB or Mac OS X Server 1.2v3 on. The Mac OS X PB install goes fine on that first part on the OS 9 side and then upon reboot off the CD into the OS X side before actually installing I get a kernel panic.

As for OS X Server - It won't let me even try to install after booting off the CD - it says "Mac OS X Server cannot be installed on this machine."

Very frustrating... I have a lab half down because of this failure (at least in the case of OS X Server... nothing mission critical on OS X PB, of course).

NicB
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2001, 06:17 AM

Received from Apple Support (Europe) today:
<snip>
"With regards to this error, then we still haven't gotten anything back from the States, however later
internal builds doesn't show this error, so it seem to have been fixed."
</snip>
So, some sort of recognition - all we have to do now is get Apple to publicly acknowledge this and send us a newly-burned CD with a later build. For interest, my CD reports as Build ID 1H39 in System Disk - does anyone have a later numbering with the same fault? Of course, given the amount of time we've all wasted on this then Apple should at least give us a discount for the cost of the PB off the full release...

the siren
Jan 24, 2001, 01:05 AM

Brand Spanking New MP G4 533 and i cant install the beta.
When i try to boot off the cd, i get this:

Unresolved kernal trap: 0x300 Data access DSISR 0x40000000 DAR 0x00000000 PC0x0025f814
generating stack back trace prior to panic:
back trace: 0x0025f814 0x002db978 0x00957d8 0x001b818 0x001836ac 0x0003c6fc 0x0003a8d0 0x0003a7fc
panic (cpu 0): 0x300 Data access
back trace : 0x00035e08 0x0002d3b8 0x0008eb80 0x0008e38c 0x00091db4 0x002db978 0x000957d8 0x001b8a18 0x00183bac 0x0003c6fc 0z0003a8d0 0x0003a7fc
panic: We are hanging here.

It then freezes and i have to force restart.

Here are the specs

Hardware overview
Model name: Power Mac G4
Keyboard type: Apple Pro Keyboard
Machine speed: 533 MHz
Processors: 2
Nanokernel version: 2.21
Nanokernel pool extends: 14
Nanokernel scheduled CPUs:2
uni-n: 17

CD_RW

Internal ATA 0
ID = 0
CD-RW
Driver version: 1.4.3
Vendor: SONY
Revision number: 1.2a
Product ID: CD-RW CRX140E

Production information
Boot ROM version: $0004.11f1
Mac OS ROM file version: 6.7.1
Serial number: ...-ff06
Software bundle:
Sales order number: ...

hope this helps. It would be nice to install OS X on the dual processer and really use them,

taffy
Jan 25, 2001, 05:23 AM

the siren,

i have the same problem here.. trying to install the beta on a new 533mhz (not dual) getting the exact same error message as yours... gosh this is annoying =(

someone please solve this?!

-ck

equus
Jan 25, 2001, 02:55 PM

From what I remember, the new, current line of G4s will NOT work with OSX Public Beta. The current developer builds of OSX are supposed to work, though that won't help us who aren't registered developers.

I'm typing this in IE 5.5 on OSX Public Beta on the dual-500 G4 AGP (last year's bad boy) and have had no problems. I do have OS 9.1, though it's on another drive. My Classic environment is run off another partition that has OS 9.0.4. On those new machines, OS 9.0.4 shouldn't work, which may be another reason to not try OSX on them, since it (Public Beta) needs that for Classic.

I bet Darwin works on them, though.

Equus

Sven aka Doc F.Y.
Jan 27, 2001, 09:40 AM

Patch for AppleOHCI trouble (spinning wheel of dead)
-------------------------------------

There seem to be many people like myself who were not able to boot or install the public beta on G4 Macs. The rainbow wheel in the left (not spinning anymore) and the final message "AppleOHCI ..." in verbose mode were symptomatic for this kind of problem. I think I have found a patch for this issue:

a) First of all, if you are not able to install OS X (even after waiting for a long for it to boot), you should connect your hard drive to a friend's computer where the installation was no problem. Install OS X on the desired partition and then put the drive back into your computer.

b) After you have installed OS X, you should boot with MacOS 9 because you have to patch two bytes of the kernel (this patch will bypass the temperature managment).

Edit the mach_kernel (it's a hidden file) with a hex editor and search for the following pattern:

7d 20 00 a6 55 28 04 5e 38 a0 00 0f 7d 00 01 24
7d 90 42 a6 80 ec 00 a0 7c e4 01 20 40 87

After you have found this pattern you should replace the last two bytes (40 87) with 48 00; by doing so you change a conditional branch to a "branch always" instruction. Then save the modified file.

c) Start OS X :-)

Regards,

Sven

Legal Notice: Use this patch on your own risk. It works fine for my machine and a few other G4s with the same problem. However I cannot guarantee that it will for your machine without side effects.

pris
Mar 8, 2001, 03:51 PM

Hi, I found this thread after having trouble w.my G4 not starting up from certain CD's - did some testing, here's what I found:

running sys 9.0.4, 128MB RAM

Production information
Boot ROM version: $0003.34f1
Mac OS ROM file version: 5.5.1
Serial number: XB0481HW-J3C-ff06
Software bundle:
Sales order number: M7892LL/A

* Hardware test CD 1.0.1 - starts up from it ok
* PM G4 SW install SSW v 9.0.4 691-2657-A - holding down C at startup had no effect. Used Startup control panel to change to the CD, got flashing folder w/question mark, then defaulted back to hard drive
* PMG4 SW Restore ssw 9.0.4 CD v 2.3 691-2817-A - holding down C worked just fine.
* PM G4 SW Install ssw 9.0.4 CD 2.3 691-2818-A - holding down C worked just fine.
*Norton Utils v 5.0 CD - holding down C at startup had no effect. Used Startup control panel to change to the CD, got flashing folder w/question mark, then defaulted back to hard drive
* Mac OS X PB ZM691-2858-A - help down C, got pretty rainbow cursor, booted from CD no problem.

So, maybe it is just certain runs of CDs that don't work? I don't know what is up with Norton.

pris

Forum Links
Forum Rules