Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Adding Photos to OSX Screensaver

Adding Photos to OSX Screensaver
dbogdan
Mar 6, 2001, 04:39 AM

I'm awestruck by 4K73s screensaver option for cosmic photos. They are absolutely stunning!

I also have a heap of deep space photos that I've been using for desktop pictures in OS9.x. They're all in jpeg format (rgb) and I'd like to "export" them over to OSXs screensaver. I know *nuthin* about Unix and haven't got a clue where to look or where to put the files I want to "add" to the screensaver photo gallery... I suppose it's just a matter of copying the files over, right?

Is this possible? If anyone knows of a (relatively) straightforward and uncomplicated way to do this, I'd be very grateful to hear it.

As always, thanks in advance for your expertise and input

starfleetX
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2001, 05:23 AM

I assume 4k73 is the same as 4k60 in this matter...

Just put all your pictures in one folder (perharps something like "~/Pictures/deepspace"). From the screen savers panel, select Custom Slide Show. Click Configure. Choose your folder. Done!
The server made a boo boo. (403)

dbogdan  (op)
Mar 7, 2001, 08:36 AM

Thanks so much for that guidance, StarfleetX - it worked like a charm. There does seem to be a limitation of five photos per session, but I can live with it. After all, this *is* a beta, and perhaps the "real" release will let you specify more pictures. Or, it might be related to available buffer memory, or something Unix-y like that!!

In any event, I am enjoying my deep space photos and am firmer now than ever in my conviction that OSX rocks!!

stereo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2001, 07:57 AM

you can find all kinda space pictures at http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/

-- Stereo

Oneota
Professional Poster
Mar 8, 2001, 11:22 AM

Also, if you login as root, you can go to
System/Library/Screen Savers/,
right-click (or control-click if you're using Apple's mouse) on the Cosmos.saver bundle, select Show Package Contents, and navigate to
/Contents/Resources/Images

and put your pics in there. Then they'll be included with Apple's provided images!
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Forum Links
Forum Rules