Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OSX= Pain in the f*cking ass!!!!!

OSX= Pain in the f*cking ass!!!!!
gorefan68
Banned
Feb 1, 2001, 09:18 PM

What the hell?! How come apple has to be so freaking complicated.... it has to be in the first 8 gigs? WHY?! And it has to be on the master partition? HELLO?!?!?! how the HELL are you supposed to try it out if you are running a mac without it?! OH gee whiz, its a good thing that I installed my main Mac OS on the SECOND partition of my HD.

ARGH

-Ca$h

Cotton
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 1, 2001, 10:04 PM

you ok there, bud?

cotton

gorefan68  (op)
Banned
Feb 1, 2001, 10:44 PM

No. Come on, do they HONESTLY believe people are going to backup their entire freaking harddrive so they can repartition and install a perfectly viable OS on the SECOND partition just so they can try some unfinished OS?! ARRRHGHHHH!!!!!

Ca$h

davecom
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2001, 11:08 PM

You got it! It's a BETA OS. No one forced you to try it out. You knew it would take some concessions to do so. Don't blame it on Apple. They made the requirements perfectly clear. It's not for consumers to put on their main computer. So stop your whining and remember that you should be blaming yourself for not reading about it before you bought it.

------------------
Think Different.

gorefan68  (op)
Banned
Feb 2, 2001, 03:09 AM

You think I'd "PAY" for a freaking beta?

Did YOU pay for a beta? HAha!!!! Looks like someone got ripped off!

Ca$h <--- won't pay for something still in its testing stages....

The Dude
Banned
Feb 2, 2001, 06:10 AM

First you steal a product from Apple, then you have the odacity to actually whine about it?

I'd say you qualify for being an ass Cashie boy!

You've been one from day one and you will always be one.

Just a spoiled little brat.

RichardET
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 2, 2001, 11:30 AM

A new HD from Staples is less than $200, some even less than $100. It takes about 10 minutes to install the new HD. I am tired of reading these posts from people who want to play with multiple operating systems, but do not want to invest the money and time in order to do it right.

You get what you pay for in life.

griffman
Senior User
Feb 2, 2001, 12:08 PM

>>Ca$h <--- won't pay for something still in its testing stages...<<

And it appears that those of us who did pay our $30 will also not have to pay for something that's in testing stages - Apple has apparently announced a $30 rebate for OS X PB purchasers. So I basically got to use a rock-solid leading-edge OS for five months for free - thank you, Apple!

The real question, Ca$h, is whether you'll put up the money for the final OS, or just go steal that as well...I'm hoping, for Apple's sake, that if you decide to use the new OS, you decide to purchase it. I'm also really hoping for something like the OS 8 'we support Apple' stance taken by the Hotline sysadmins, who all basically acted as one to not allow pirated copies on their servers ... it'd be great if they take the same stance with OS X. Somehow, though, I doubt it will happen.

-rob.
Visit macosxhints.com ... a community-built OS X hints and tips site.

gorefan68  (op)
Banned
Feb 2, 2001, 01:03 PM

It depends man. I like apple, and considering the purchase of the OS would go straight to them, and it would boost OSX sales, thus improving apple's image, I WOULD purchase OSX. MAYBE

Unfortunatly, I cannot test it out, thus I do not even know if it will RUN very well on my computer. I have an iMac with the 2d card being a 6 meg ATI Rage Pro. What does that mean? Kinda crappy 2d card... will it run?

Hrm. Thats not even the biggest question. Will I like it?

I could tell from this 'demo' disk I'm borrowing, but its too big a pain in the butt to install, so I guess I'll never know.

-Ca$h

PS: I'm still amazed apple got people to pay for an unfinished project...... Hey, anyone wanna buy a piece of modern art? So far its just scribbles, but it'll be cool someday, I swear... >sigh<

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2001, 01:42 PM

WHAT A MORON!

I installed it on a second partition just fine.
That's right, OS 9 on the FIRST partition and OS X on the second.
get a clue
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

gorefan68  (op)
Banned
Feb 2, 2001, 02:19 PM

?

I have 4 partitions.... 1 gig for mac 8.6, another for games and apps, another for my server, and another 3 meg for OSX

Ca$h

The Dude
Banned
Feb 2, 2001, 10:58 PM

Originally posted by gorefan68:
Unfortunatly, I cannot test it out, thus I do not even know if it will RUN very well on my computer. I have an iMac with the 2d card being a 6 meg ATI Rage Pro. What does that mean? Kinda crappy 2d card... will it run?

Hrm. Thats not even the biggest question. Will I like it?

I could tell from this 'demo' disk I'm borrowing, but its too big a pain in the butt to install, so I guess I'll never know.

-Ca$h

PS: I'm still amazed apple got people to pay for an unfinished project...... Hey, anyone wanna buy a piece of modern art? So far its just scribbles, but it'll be cool someday, I swear... >sigh<
Hey cash, take a ****ing chance man! You already took a chance by announcing that you didn't buy OSXPB! Take another you schmuck!

And by the way, the reason most of us here decided to buy the OSXPB is TO TAKE A GODDAMN CHANCE!!! That's all life basically is! A bunch of decisions we make (chances) that when added together, make our lives!

Now if you want to stay in your rut forever and not take a chance, so be it. You won't here me disagree with you on that.

------------------
"I really don't care about being right. I only care about success."

Steve Jobs

[This message has been edited by The Dude (edited 02-02-2001).]

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Feb 3, 2001, 02:08 AM

I bought Mac OS X Public Beta (1H39) for $29.99.

I just ordered Mac OS X Final 1.0 for $39.99 after discounts.

So stuff it, and go away, troll.

------------------
it's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

gorefan68  (op)
Banned
Feb 3, 2001, 02:43 PM

I'm not being a troll. I'm just disgusted that OSX has all these STUPID requirements.

WHY did mac make it so it has to be on your primary HD? Why couldn't it be loaded onto a second partition? Why does it NEED the first 8 gigs? Why couldn't they have made it bootable anywhere on the HD?

Thats what I'm bitching about- and nobody seems to have answers. The truth is, if I >COULD< install it, maybe I'd like it, and I'd buy it if I did. But I can't tell. >:|

Ca$h

dogzilla
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 3, 2001, 03:57 PM

Gorefan:

First off, you're using a pirated version of the beta, which automatically makes you a complete tool. My guess is that iMac was a present from Mommy and it's filled with stuff you grabbed off Hotline or Carracho. So quit whining.

Second - Noone who actually cares about their data would put a beta OS on their machine without a backup. And the fact that you're complaining about having to backup indicates that you don't have a good backup solution *period*. Therefore, you're not serious about your computer. Which reinforces the "present from Mommy" scenario and indicates that you don't know enough about a computer to be an effective beta tester anyway. And knowing the ip addresses of warez sites and having some root kits on your HD doesn't make you a worthwhile computer expert.

Apologies to other people for flaming, but people like this really get my goat. I've worked for a software developer, and I've developed a few freeware resources myself. I hate how the public at large seems to think that they deserve the results of other people's hard work. Makes me think of "Atlas Shrugged".

The Dude
Banned
Feb 3, 2001, 04:10 PM

I'm not being a troll. I'm just disgusted that OSX has all these STUPID requirements.

WHY did mac make it so it has to be on your primary HD? Why couldn't it be loaded onto a second partition? Why does it NEED the first 8 gigs? Why couldn't they have made it bootable anywhere on the HD?

Ca$h

You know, seeing as it has STUPID requirements, you didn't have to beta test it in the first place. And don't give me "I didn't know about the requirements" ******** , you surf these forums more than enough to get an idea of the requirements.

The reason it needs to be on the first 8GB of the harddrive is because your iMac isn't UMA! Happy?

------------------

Steve Jobs

[This message has been edited by The Dude (edited 02-03-2001).]

gorefan68  (op)
Banned
Feb 3, 2001, 04:45 PM

Originally posted by dogzilla:
Gorefan:

First off, you're using a pirated version of the beta, which automatically makes you a complete tool. My guess is that iMac was a present from Mommy and it's filled with stuff you grabbed off Hotline or Carracho. So quit whining.

Second - Noone who actually cares about their data would put a beta OS on their machine without a backup. And the fact that you're complaining about having to backup indicates that you don't have a good backup solution *period*. Therefore, you're not serious about your computer. Which reinforces the "present from Mommy" scenario and indicates that you don't know enough about a computer to be an effective beta tester anyway. And knowing the ip addresses of warez sites and having some root kits on your HD doesn't make you a worthwhile computer expert.

Apologies to other people for flaming, but people like this really get my goat. I've worked for a software developer, and I've developed a few freeware resources myself. I hate how the public at large seems to think that they deserve the results of other people's hard work. Makes me think of "Atlas Shrugged".

HAhoAoahaOAohoHAoahhAHOOOOO hoahAHahhahahHahhAHahaHAhAHAhahahAh!!!!

Dude, do you even have like a CLUE who I am?! K. Let me run some stuff by you. I've had a mac since I was 11. I'm a sophmore in college, and last year, I bought a 333mhz iMac for school. Cheapest G3 was the only thing I could afford. Since then, I've swapped motherboards, taken the iMac apart down to the frame and CRT to install some pretty phat looking graphics on the inside of the shell, took off the emi cage, (but then reinstalled it), put in a voodoo2, 192 megs ram, swapped daughtercards 2wice, went from 233-333-333 copper, and am now working on getting the right switch to have a really easily overclockable iMac. I also have a CD burner, so yes I can back stuff up, but backing up 46 gigs of information on CD is a pain in the ****ing ass.... so, "TOOL"..... your whole post basically did one thing: Inserted your own foot directly in your mouth.

And no, I'm not a beta tester. I wanted to TRY osx, and I think it's ridiculous that they expect you to repartition and initialize your entire ****ing hard drive. Maybe you just get too much Apple sunshine blown up your ass that you don't even realize how far you're bending over and getting railed by Apple.

OSX is the most advanced OS ever right? Well how about making it a tad more 'open minded'- aka, how about installing it on the SECOND partition, and being able to install AFTER the first 8 gigs....

Ca$h

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2001, 06:22 PM

Thats what I'm bitching about- and nobody seems to have answers. The truth is, if I >COULD< install it, maybe I'd like it, and I'd buy it if I did. But I can't tell. >:|

Ca$h

What the Hell are you talking about???
As I said earlier, I was able to install it on a second partition just fine!

get a clue!
learn how to partition your disks.
I have OS 9 on the first, OS X on the second, and SuSE 6.4 PPC on the third.

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!!
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

jbmelby
Forum Regular
Feb 3, 2001, 07:16 PM

I have two hard disks. The master disk (30 GB) has seven partitions and the slave (20 GB) has six. A stripped-down OS 9.0.4 for Classic is installed on partition six of my master drive and OS X is installed on partition seven. Everything works beautifully.

I understand from the postings of the originator of this thread that s/h/e is using an iMac. Had s/h/e read the docs for OS X, s/h/e would have discovered that the "first 8 GB" limitation applies to "original G3" (that is, beige) Macs. Since an iMac does not fall into this category, this whole thread is much ado about nothing.

jbmelby
Forum Regular
Feb 3, 2001, 07:19 PM

Damned double posts . . .

[This message has been edited by jbmelby (edited 02-03-2001).]

smic
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 3, 2001, 07:41 PM

i had to have it on the first 8gigs of my 60gig drive
and i have a 266 imac
and it only said the 8gig limitation was for oldworld macs, so it makes no sense to my imac having to have it on the first 8 gigs

and it was a pain in the ass for me to repartition over and over and over again, and switching partitions with os's

but i got it down now first partition 5 gigs for osx, second 4 gigs for 9.1 and third and fourth for linux, and a 45gig partition for games movies music vpc and anything else

why do ya guys seem to have it out for Ca$h??
w3rd..
surrey represent

The Dude
Banned
Feb 3, 2001, 09:07 PM

And no, I'm not a beta tester. I wanted to TRY osx, and I think it's ridiculous that they expect you to repartition and initialize your entire ****ing hard drive. Maybe you just get too much Apple sunshine blown up your ass that you don't even realize how far you're bending over and getting railed by Apple.

OSX is the most advanced OS ever right? Well how about making it a tad more 'open minded'- aka, how about installing it on the SECOND partition, and being able to install AFTER the first 8 gigs....

Ca$h
Well we're getting a little better cashie. However you arguement has been flawed from the start.

Regardless of what you do, the fact remains that the Beta was not meant for everybody. And even though you are skilled on the macintosh platform, I guess you just aren't ready.

And about the location of X on, remember, it was supposed to ship with these little things we call flaws. Ok? Just remember that little itsy bitsy word, flaws. OSXPB is meant to ship with flaws. So don't go around the forums trying to create some controversy and arguements. I'll stop right now ok?

Having said that, remember, what you stole was a Beta, nothing more. Had it not had the word Beta on it (remember this little word too), then I would of agreed with every statement you made.

------------------

Steve Jobs

gorefan68  (op)
Banned
Feb 4, 2001, 03:26 PM

Flaws?! Dude. This OS is supposed to be completely awesome right? The ferrari modena of OSs if you will. However, this is akin to a ferrari that will only run on strips of road that are 8 miles long, and in order to even START the damn thing, you have to rip up all your current roads, repartition, and reinstall everything.

THE POINT IS: It should NOT be such a BITCh about what it is installing to. Anyway, I have 4 partitions on my HD. The first one, is running 8.6. That is my MAIN first partition. It is 2 gigs. The second one is OSX, and it is 3 gigs.

However, I cannot install it. WHY?!

I have no clue. But I can tell you this: If it DID install, and I DID like it, I'd probably buy it. But since I cannot install, looks like I'll never know, and looks like Apple isn't getting my money- HENCE, if they weren't so DUMB, they'd have made it LESS PICKY and EASIER to install..... so they could install it on more machines, hence make more money....

-Ca$h

dogzilla
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 4, 2001, 05:51 PM

Dude, do you even have like a CLUE who I am?!

<snip>
bunch of bs
</snip>

Ca$h
You know, I was going to post a whole rant rebutting each of your points one by one, and then decided it just isn't worth it. Clearly, all you want is to complain, not to do anything constructive or useful (does this also carry over into your real life?). Complain away - this thread is a waste of time.

gorefan68  (op)
Banned
Feb 4, 2001, 06:04 PM

Waste of time? Opinion.

My opinions on a waste would be

1. Spending money on a beta

2. Having to reinitialize your whole freaking HD to add a partition

3. The most advanced OS in the world not installing because it can't bless something, even though I meet all the requirements....

Ca$h

gorefan68  (op)
Banned
Feb 4, 2001, 06:09 PM

Originally posted by dogzilla:
You know, I was going to post a whole rant rebutting each of your points one by one, and then decided it just isn't worth it. Clearly, all you want is to complain, not to do anything constructive or useful (does this also carry over into your real life?). Complain away - this thread is a waste of time.

Actually, I'd prefer the point by point rebuttle. Please do that. Personally, I think you're full of **** , and you say something like that to seem intelligent, but in reality, you cannot and will not back up that claim, because... well, you just couldn't. Anyway, keep thinking you're awesome dude!

Ca$h

foobars
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2001, 09:43 PM

Waste of time? Opinion.

My opinions on a waste would be

1. Spending money on a beta
In case you didn't know Ca$h people who bought the beta for $30 get a discount on the final for... guess how much? $30.

I (and everyone else who bought the beta) essentially got it for free and helped Apple at the same time (instead of ripping them off like it sounds you did).

ugh
Feb 4, 2001, 11:37 PM

why bother responding. ca$hole is obviously trolling. let the thread die a quick death

gorefan68  (op)
Banned
Feb 5, 2001, 03:05 AM

Originally posted by foobars:
In case you didn't know Ca$h people who bought the beta for $30 get a discount on the final for... guess how much? $30.

I (and everyone else who bought the beta) essentially got it for free and helped Apple at the same time (instead of ripping them off like it sounds you did).
Hey Mr Smartypants, in case you didnt know, APPLE RELEASED THAT DISCOUNT INFORMATION ONLY LIKE 3 DAYS AGO, so before that, anyone who bought the beta was guaranteed NOTHING. So yeah, if you bought it within the last 3 days, your post would make sense. But you didn't. So go away.

Ca$h

gorefan68  (op)
Banned
Feb 5, 2001, 03:08 AM

Still waiting for the point by point breakdown....

- Ca$h

Roberado
Feb 5, 2001, 04:30 AM

You see ca$h, I feel you have a valid complaint concerning OSX, and I feel it ought to be heard, but as you keep posting meaningless rants during the wee hours of the morning you continue to forget one very important thing...

OSX has been and will be in beta form until March 24.

This OS has not been forced upon you, and you are not required to "try" it. Intelligent developers with the capability, free time, and faith in Apple have been allowed to invest a small amount of money to help them complete the OS of the future so that it may be as satisfying as possible to the end-consumer. Apple has shown their reflective faith in their developers by offering a discount on the final product. You never had enough interest, capability, know-how, or faith to properly invest in the beta, and in return you are not someone that spurs a great deal of faith or interest from Apple.

I am disturbed by your childish sense of rightful privilege. As if for some reason you were supposed to be completely satisfied by an incomplete OS which was never intended for your use, which you in fact never paid for. I agree in many cases that a beta version should not have to be paid for, but you must understand that Apple was allowing access to an unreleased project, which they rightfully decided should only be used by serious users. And no matter how many different and meaningless tasks you have performed inside and out of that old computer, the fact that you weren�t willing to pay means you aren�t serious. You may be a pretentious and pompous example of the decaying American youth, but you aren�t serious. If you feel you are serious, then go buy yourself a copy and tell Apple all about it. Keep in mind that Apple is a business, they are concerned with profit, and if you aren�t willing to pay for their beta, or their final release, I doubt they are willing to listen to your complaints. In the meantime, try not to be a child (or a sophomore in college, same thing.)

Rob

[This message has been edited by Roberado (edited 02-05-2001).]

Roberado
Feb 5, 2001, 04:34 AM

damned double posts, indeed.

[This message has been edited by Roberado (edited 02-05-2001).]

gorefan68  (op)
Banned
Feb 5, 2001, 04:49 PM

Yeah, but WHY did they release the beta?

What was their reasoning behind releasing it?

It is to get people interested in OSX, and to increase the sales of OSX when it comes out.

NOW. Lets say you take this same idea, and apply it to...hrm... a new brand of ...eh.... anything really, let's just say peanut butter. Now this peanut butter is supposed to be good, but you can only use this peanut butter on a certain type of bread at a certain time of day, thus ANNOYING the people who might have wanted to try it out...

blah. THE POINT IS; the only reason they released the beta publicly was to gain public interest and increase sales; BUT- having it such a bitch to install DECREASES the amount of sales they'll get.

Ca$h

foobars
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2001, 05:38 PM

Yeah, but WHY did they release the beta?

What was their reasoning behind releasing it?

It is to get people interested in OSX, and to increase the sales of OSX when it comes out.

NOW. Lets say you take this same idea, and apply it to...hrm... a new brand of ...eh.... anything really, let's just say peanut butter. Now this peanut butter is supposed to be good, but you can only use this peanut butter on a certain type of bread at a certain time of day, thus ANNOYING the people who might have wanted to try it out...

blah. THE POINT IS; the only reason they released the beta publicly was to gain public interest and increase sales; BUT- having it such a bitch to install DECREASES the amount of sales they'll get.

Ca$h
You're right, they did release it to generate hype and increase sales, DAMN THEM! What the hell were they trying to do? Get people interested in the product?! Hey this is a great arguement if you could say OSX PB was a peice of crap and Apple just used it's customers- but they didn't. It was a quality peice of software and NOW IT'S FREE TOO.

So why are you complaining about the requirements? They were pretty damn lax for a COMPLETELY NEW *BETA* OS!

You seem to think that people will be so pissed off to learn that their (now) FREE beta OS won't install on their computer that they will refuse to buy OSX. What kind of reasoning is that? The REQIREMENTS are listed on the box and on the website- if you didn't read them then it's you're own damn fault. And besides, it's not like your computer is unsupported and won't work with OSX at all- it's just not configured the way Apple expected most computers to be. Repartition it. Furthermore, YOU (CA$H, THE ONLY PERSON WHO IS MAKING THIS ARGUEMENT) bought OSX! You're whole reasoning is flawed. If you had said you yourself refused to buy it because the beta pissed you off, well then that's one thing- but everyone here seems to think you just shot yourself in the foot by calling OSX crap then going out and getting a full copy. What a hypocrite!

I think you're just pissed you wasted 4 hours on hotline ripping off Apple only to learn your work was for nothing- RTFM.

Richyfp
Feb 5, 2001, 06:13 PM

Apple released Mac OS X Beta to receive feedback from their customers on how they could imporve the OS. This worked and they recieved 75,000 emails about how they could improve it.

Mac OS X Beta is not the world's greatest operating system. It is the beta version of the world's greatest operating system.

As far as I'm concerned, anyone who purchased the Beta software was aware that it was a Beta and they therefore should have been aware of the problems involved with using it (including the problem you are experiencing). No one asked or forced you to install the beta and, although I myself would be annoyed if I had to reformat my HD to install it, you shouldn't flame message boards with comments about how you have a slight inconvenience with installing a product, which you pirated anyway.

Indeed, if you had paid for the software, I could perhaps relate to you problem slightly easier. Even so, the recent discounts make the Beta free for those who paid for it.

Richyfp
Feb 5, 2001, 06:20 PM

Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention...

How will making the beta slightly hard to install on rare system configurations decrease the sales of Mac OS X Final?

The people that Apple were aiming the Beta at would have been aware that such problems could arise from trying to install a beta product (let alone a beta operating system!) and are most likely to buy Mac OS X Final anyway.

gorefan68  (op)
Banned
Feb 5, 2001, 08:30 PM

Whats so rare? I have a 46 gig HD that meets the system requirements, yet it won't BLESS something....

Also, the beta IS NOT FREE. It is 30 dollars. Granted, it now DOES include a 30 dollar discount on OSX, but then it might only be considered free >>>>IF<<<<< you plan on purchasing OSX, which I would like to find out, but the POS won't install!!!!!

Oh yeah, they DID get me interested. And you know what? I tried it. And due to religous reasons, it won't install..... so do you know what that mean? I recieves NEGATIVE interest from me, and anyone who asks me about it. I don't like the way it looks, but if it ran ok and made Q3 faster I'd have probably bought it. But considering what a POS it is, guess not.

Ca$h

foobars
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2001, 10:11 PM

I feel sorry for anyone who takes advice from you.

You seem to think that OSX is a "POS" because the beta that you pirated didn't install on your Mac because YOU didn't meet the documented requirements. And oh yeah "it looks bad".

Sorry but attempting to install a pirated version then looking at the screenshots does not constitute "testing" any peice of software and it's pathetic that you think it's okay to blame Apple and bitch about it here.

jbmelby
Forum Regular
Feb 5, 2001, 10:19 PM

I don't like the way it looks, but if it ran ok and made Q3 faster I'd have probably bought it. But considering what a POS it is, guess not.
Chacun � son go�t!

[This message has been edited by jbmelby (edited 02-05-2001).]

slboett
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 5, 2001, 10:26 PM

Tell me Ca$h, would you not then be pissed off at the fact that your new Ferrari would cost about $1200 per tuneup? Special tools, special training, high hourly rate.
But for $39.95, you can get your Chivy Spurt Ute tuned up at Pep Boys.

Come on - an all-new UNIX-based OS HAS to have different requirements than our OS which was designed 16 years ago.

Steal a nice hard drive like you did the OS X installer and backup/reformat. Test or wait until the final version ships, and then steal a copy of that - you'll still have to reformat your drive or get a new one...

Scott

gorefan68  (op)
Banned
Feb 6, 2001, 03:02 AM

Sorry guys. No matter what you say, I still find it pathetic that OSX can't install onto a partition on my HD because it isn't religous enough.

PS: I MEET ALL THE ****ING REQUIREMENTS!!!!

dbogdan
Feb 6, 2001, 03:05 AM

C'mon now, ya'll... Remember Ca$h is a sophomore in college. Let's give him all the credit due him. After all, he's pulled apart many a Mac in his day *and* put them back together again!!! That should count for something... So he didn't pay for OSX Public Beta (monniker notwithstanding). He got his money's worth, right? He's part of America's up and coming youth, entitled to a "free ride," per the SOP of Generations X, Y, and D. Baby Boomers move aside! He's not "complaining" about OSX shortcomings, he's "pointing out" that he's been given a bum rap on installing a POS Beta Software that - incredibly - won't install on his superior, pristine CPU. What's *your* problem with that, huh? Just because you're busting your ass at a 40+-hours-per-week, "not really what I'm worth job" to gain the capital to invest in helping Apple Computer Corp. re-invent and reconfigure a newer and better OS doesn't mean you should take it out on "I wouldn't pay for this POS Software" Ca$h. Give him a break! It's tough hanging out on Hotline in a queue, waiting to steal the latest and greatest beta software, behind dozens of other leeches. Besides that, he probably has to *actually pay* for his ISP (now that the free ISP market has dried up). Why... that's good beer money going to a perfectly wasteful endeavor to keep his connection to the 'net. What a sacrifice!
So let's all settle down and take a deep breath and *be thankful* that Ca$h has deemed it worthy to tell us all about his bad experience with not being able to install OSX PB!! While all you "I have a mortgage, car note, and kids in college" unappreciative bastards seem to think that Ca$h has no merit in his posts, remember - he's representative of the generation that will lead us forward in the 21st century. :/
Let's all give him our collective thanks for his salient points on OSX. The world is a richer place because of him
To quote Billy Joel, "There's a place in the world for the angry young man, with his foot in his mouth and his heart in his hand... He refuses to bend, he refuses to crawl, and he's always at home with his back to the wall...And he likes to be known as the angry young man."
And another thing: Ca$h told us that he *might* buy OSX *if* he was happy with it. What more should an enterprising young man such as he communicate to those of us who are on a lesser intelligent plane? We are all apparently such "tools" too busy "having Apple Sunshine blown up our butts" to do the smart thing and pirate a copy of this POS Beta Software in order to get it for free. So come on now, can't we all just "get along?"
Wow... I feel so much better now about Ca$h and his misunderstood dilemma...

From Webster's Encyclopedic Dictionary of the English Language:
"soph-o-moric; 1. Of or pertaining to a sophomore or sophomores; 2. Suggestive of, or resembling the traditional sophomore, esp. in intellectual pretension, conceit, overconfidence, assumed intelligence or the like: (as in) a lot of sophomoric questions."

soph-ist-ry; 1. a subtle, tricky superficially plausible but generally fallacious method of reasoning; 2. a false argument; sophism.

Remember: you, too, were once 20 years old...

Ster
Feb 6, 2001, 10:59 AM

on behalf of "generation d", college students (i'm a junior) and twenty-year olds, i'd like to go on record and say that i don't condone ca$h's pirating of PB. i ordered mine, i paid for it. when i had some trouble with it, i asked them for help; their records showed that i bought it, so they helped me. i got it up and running, and i gave them feedback. i got my coupon. i'm happy, apple's happy.
ca$h, if you had bought the beta, then you could have called apple for help when it wouldn't properly install. they probably could have helped you, and they certainly would have learned that there were some installation problems. and i'm sure you would have given tons of feedback. but you didn't buy it, so they can't really help you. in all honesty, your's is probably a very rare configuration (i've read many of your posts in the hack-a-mac forum). while apple certainly needs to make sure final works on even strange setups like yours, complaining to us doesn't help. you could have complained to apple, but you didn't pay.
-s

foobars
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2001, 11:51 AM

I MEET ALL THE ****ING REQUIREMENTS!!!!
Yes that's true. The requirements state OSX needs to be installed on the first 8GB of an ATA drive. Your computer has that, but you just refuse to allow OSX on there. Whose fault is that? Not Apple's.

starfleetX
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2001, 12:08 PM

Ca$h--

Okay, I see your point. I understand your frustration. However, there is STILL one key bit of information you are missing:

Although the beta was also released for "hype", it's target audience was originally for DEVELOPERS. Now, looking back at your Ferrarri metaphor, this would be like handing over a new concept car to a mechanic and saying, "Here, run a few tests, try out the seats, hell, put in new seats if you want, and report back to us on what you liked and disliked."

Does that help you understand it any better?

And by the way, just what college are you attending? (i'm just curious. I'm a freshman at NCSU myself.)
The server made a boo boo. (403)

starfleetX
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2001, 12:12 PM

I forgot to add...

Also, remember that developers are (apparently much) more flexible than you are or the average Joe Shmoe is for "adjusting" their environment to be able to work with this new BETA OS. Certainly the full consumer version will not be as picky as the beta is. I cannot confirm this, but I will not deny the likely probability.
The server made a boo boo. (403)

gorefan68  (op)
Banned
Feb 6, 2001, 01:17 PM

Why is my setup so rare?!?! It's a freaking iMac with 4 partitions! What the heck is so 'rare' about that?!?!?!

Yeah, I see what you mean about the mechanic thing, but also... keep in mind its more like saying "hey mechanic, give me money and I'll let you drive this car that isn't done yet and doesnt really go on all roads".

And I think its absolutely LOVELY how some people in this thread completely avoid what I said, and instead sidestep the stupidity of OSX by bashing my age, opinion on whether I should pay for a beta, and what program I use. Good job. You should run for office.

-Ca$h

ugh
Feb 6, 2001, 03:09 PM

maybe everyone's avoided the question because you fail to provide the basic information needed for troubleshooting. HD mfg and size, what software did you use to partition the drive, firmware number, etc.

instead we have to read the flaming opinions of an idiot who is mad about something, but either refuses, or is too stubborn to do anything about the problem. You apparently care enough and have time enough to whine incessantly though.

gorefan68  (op)
Banned
Feb 7, 2001, 03:01 AM

? Fine. 46 gig maxtor. When I initialized it I set up 4 partitions.... unfortunatly, OSX won't even let me pick which partition to install on because it can't 'bless the system folder' or something. :|

Ca$h

brainchild2b
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 7, 2001, 05:08 AM

GoreFan:

You should really stop lying. You pissed me off with your actions/words which were tyrantical and were not warranted. It wasn't hard to get the IP you post from. It also wasn't hard to get the name of your ISP, who happened to be stupid enough to "verify" your address and information. Stop acting, lying about were you are in school, and your age, and your "special abilities", or I will post all your information here, including your parents phone number, so we can call them and tell them to ground you again.

Hideous Regards,

Forum Links
Forum Rules