Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 4K17 Root Password, DSL Connection & Other Stuff...

4K17 Root Password, DSL Connection & Other Stuff...
dbogdan
Jan 29, 2001, 06:05 AM

I recently installed the 4K17 of OSX on my Summer Y2K iMac DV SE and have run into a few minor, if irritating, problems. They are as follows:
1.) Although I can log in on OSX as Admin using my user name and password, when I go to the terminal app and try to go to "Superuser" using the "su" command, I only get "sorry" as a response to my password (the one that lets me log in as admin through the Mac OS)
2.) The OSX PB Release 1 managed to get online via DSL to Earthlink using the Roaring Penguin PPPoE directions via the terminal app just fine. However, whenever I try the same commands on 4K17, I get a series of "permission denied" feedback messages whenever I get to the command "./pppoeinst.sh" section. I suppose it has everything to do with issue #1 above, but I'm confused as to why the Mac will let me log in and accepts me as an admin user in the OS, but when I go to the terminal app, it simply says "sorry" when I try to go to "su" in the terminal application...
3.) I can get online using the PPP dialup application, but it doesn't list my iMac internal modem as one of the available modems. The Apple Personal Modem v.90 works just fine, but I've kind of gotten used to DSL speed, and am frustrated that only dialup is available at this time...
4.) In the log-in panel of System Preferences, I cannot seem to change my admin user password to what I want. Instead, it seems to have a 13-character password (unbeknownst to me) that won't change. Whenever I try, I keep getting the beep of death that won't "save my settings" like I want to.

I read a file when I d/l'd the 4K17 disc image that references that you need to register 4K17 before it's fully functional. Is this the core of my problem? When I first started 4K17, it took a bunch of information from me and said that the first time I went online, it would register for me, but apparently that hasn't happened... Any suggestions or comments that might shed some light on these issues?

Thanks in advance...

aquapaul
Jan 29, 2001, 07:32 AM

1) You need to hack the root password. Start up Netinfo and go to users --> look for your generic username (admin user) and look for the password field. It will look like H765HYy6bDs. Copy this in to clipboard, go to root user details....the password is blank or ****. Paste in your encrypted user passwd as the root password. Next time you try su - root from the console it will allow you in with your admin user password.

Paul

Forum Links
Forum Rules