Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Logitech introduces Harmony Touch universal remote

Logitech introduces Harmony Touch universal remote
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Oct 3, 2012, 02:18 AM

Logitech has added a touch-enabled remote control to its catalog. An extension to its existing remote control line, the Harmony Touch is a universal remote that has a 2.4-inch color touchscreen for extra control options, complimenting the more standard back-lit navigation and volume buttons above and below the display.

Up to 50 TV channel icons can be added to the remote, allowing users to swipe through the channel list on the handset instead of using the on-screen display of a set-top box. Other entertainment can also be swiped to, such as movies, games, and music, complete with its own control schemes. Currently, the Harmony Touch is compatible with more than 225,000 devices from over 5,000 brands, and can be configured to control up to 15 devices. Configuration can be performed by connecting the remote to a computer, with it further simplified for existing users of the Harmony One remote. The Logitech Harmony Touch is on sale for $250, and comes complete with a charging dock.

skipwith
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2012, 04:33 AM

Is it mac friendly? I have two older remotes from Logitech that I cannot update so they are basically worthless. If someone knows how to update them with a Mac please email me the instructions.

Lifeisabeach
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2012, 07:25 AM

What older remotes do you have that you can't update? I've been using Harmony remotes for years and have never had an issue updating them. Do you not have their remote software for Mac installed? It's readily available off their website.

Lifeisabeach
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2012, 07:43 AM

I hope the build quality of this is better than their other more recent models. I had to return the Harmony 700 three times because various physical buttons kept failing on me within a couple weeks. They actually had the nerve once to suggest I just re-program another button to duplicate the broken button's function.

I'm currently using a Harmony One and while the physical buttons are holding up fine, the touchscreen is absolutely horrid. It is so sensitive that if you so much as look at it hard, the touchscreen buttons will react. No seriously, the touchscreen is overly sensitive, and the settings to adjust the sensitivity don't seem to actually do anything. My in-laws are constantly accidentally activating one of the on-screen buttons just by handing the device around.

This all leads me to be very wary of this new Touch remote. I've been using Harmony remotes for about 9 years now, before Logitech bought Harmony out, and I have long been loyal to them for how easy they are to use in managing my home theater system. But these more recent experiences are quickly souring me and my family. I'll have to reserve judgement on this new model for now... I would really need to see some reviews with real-world usage of the touchscreen on it. The device does look a lot more pleasant, but Logitech will have had to make dramatic improvements to how the touchscreen works and responds. Right off, I can already see one potential problem. The pause/play/forward/back buttons are ABOVE the touchscreen. Will the screen ignore my palm when it brushes over it as I reach for one of those buttons with my thumb, or will I have to arch my hand and stretch my thumb to avoid hitting that screen?

trevj
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2012, 08:26 AM

Wow Lifeisabeach, you've got some serious First World problems there. :-)

Lifeisabeach
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2012, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by trevj View Post
Wow Lifeisabeach, you've got some serious First World problems there. :-)
WTF? Are you saying I should have simply learned to live with buttons that broke within days of buying the 700 remote, and just let Logitech keep my money because I'm not in a 3rd world country? Or not express concerns over usability on the One remote? How does remaining silent on real issues with these devices spur Logitech to address them, or to warn others about possible problems they may encounter? Please clarify this for me because I'm not getting why I should consider shelling out money for Logitech's latest offering if it doesn't address the issues in their other devices.

skipwith
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2012, 10:29 AM

I have the 1100 and a 700. I am using Mtn Lion and neither can be upgraded with the harmony remote software

Lifeisabeach
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2012, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by skipwith View Post
I have the 1100 and a 700. I am using Mtn Lion and neither can be upgraded with the harmony remote software
I had absolutely no issues updating the Harmony 700 under Lion. I actually had 3 in total... each returned within a couple weeks for failing buttons. They all updated fine. I don't know why you are having a problem... Mountain Lion itself shouldn't be the issue. I'll send you a PM.

Forum Links
Forum Rules