Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > cheap flights from DC to NY?

cheap flights from DC to NY?
Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 17, 2004, 03:57 PM

I'm looking at the shuttle, but I thought it was a lot cheaper. Both Delta and USAir want over $200, for a flight in mid Nov. Have prices gone way up, or am I doing something wrong? I was looking for a $50 flight here, not $200+. My goal is to fly up to NY for a weekend, and maybe also for Thanksgiving (don't know if driving or flying).
Can anyone offer some insight into cheap flying from either BWI or National to either LGA or JFK?
( Last edited by Scotttheking; Jul 17, 2004 at 11:45 PM. )
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

macroy
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2004, 04:41 PM

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Jul 18, 2004, 09:54 AM

Originally posted by Scotttheking:
I'm looking at the shuttle, but I thought it was a lot cheaper. Both Delta and USAir want over $200, for a flight in mid Nov. Have prices gone way up, or am I doing something wrong? I was looking for a $50 flight here, not $200+. My goal is to fly up to NY for a weekend, and maybe also for Thanksgiving (don't know if driving or flying).
Can anyone offer some insight into cheap flying from either BWI or National to either LGA or JFK?
Why not just take the train? City center to city center, it's faster and usually cheaper (unless you take the Acela).

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2004, 10:22 AM

Maybe US Air is trying to make up some of the money that they are losing by charging more to airports that Southwest does not fly to?

f1000
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2004, 10:26 AM

As Simey said, consider taking Amtrak. No baggage to check, and the cars are often uncrowded. You should be able to apply for a student discount.

The cab ride from JFK into Manhattan alone will cost you $45 + tolls.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 18, 2004, 01:13 PM

It takes longer to fly from DC than it does to take the train or bus. This is because you'll spend at minimum an hour in the airport on each end, plus travel into the city.

tooki

joelcpa
Forum Regular
Jul 18, 2004, 01:18 PM

Originally posted by TailsToo:
Maybe US Air is trying to make up some of the money that they are losing by charging more to airports that Southwest does not fly to?

They are not alone. Try flying out of Cincinnati where Delta has a stranglehold on the market. The only way to get a ticket at a reasonable price is to drive to nearby airports in Columbus, Dayton, or Louisville.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2004, 07:31 PM

Yeah take the train. Before Sept 11 it wasn't bad flying to NYC but now its just less of a pain and cheaper to take the train over the shuttle.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

zankoku
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2004, 11:02 PM

I'm going to suggest something totally different from either plane or train. Take one of those Chinatown buses that run from DC's Chinatown right into NYC's Chinatown.

I frequently took these buses from NYC to Boston and Washington D.C, and back when I was in college in NYC. These buses run both ways, usually $10-$20 one way, and $20-35 roundtrip. One way trip from Washington D.C to NYC is about 4-4.5 hours, with one stop in between (as opposed to many stops with Greyhound). The bus drivers also let you store a very generous amount of luggage in the bus's luggage hold (no check-in or security screening hassle found at airports, nor any luggage fee). The fare is all inclusive, so you won't be paying any tolls getting into NYC. And the buses drive you directly between Chinatowns (you'll probably be dropped off below the Washington Bridge or near Bowery in NYC), so that saves time and money to and from the airports.

You can either book online or just show up about 30 minutes prior to departure at the bus's stop in your respective city (there should either be a small office/booth or ticket sellers at the stop). Just a warning though, weekend and holiday trips tend to be crowded, as this is a relatively known good deal, so go a bit earlier to secure your spot. Another warning, the Chinatown bus market is highly competitive (usually to the riders' advantage), and I've seen fares drop suddenly.

Here are some websites for more info:
http://www.staticleap.com/chinatownbus/
http://www.ivymedia.com/
http://www.blacktable.com/gillin031105.htm

Good luck!

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2004, 06:23 AM

Scotttheking, you also have to consider when you're traveling. Thanksgiving is traditionally one of the busiest travel times of the year. That raises fares. As others have suggested, try the low-cost carriers. Delta and US Airways are old school, legacy carriers... Both are hemorrhaging red ink and usually aren't priced as competitively as the LCCs. On a trip that short, it's not like you'll lose any great service perks using Independence Air or the like.

Edit to add:

Independence Air will run you $49 ea. way for travel Wed-Sun in the middle of the month. It's $104 ea. way for the day before Thanksgiving 'til that Sunday. Not bad, at all. Of course, airfares change in price from hour to hour sometimes, so...
( Last edited by DigitalEl; Jul 19, 2004 at 06:30 AM. )
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

Forum Links
Forum Rules