Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > No FireWire Cable with new iPods

No FireWire Cable with new iPods (Page 2)
joelcpa
Forum Regular
Feb 26, 2005, 04:39 PM

Originally posted by chabig:
Keeping costs and prices down makes a lot of sense.

Maybe to you and me, but not to most of the people commenting here. Apparently, they were happier when they could pay $150 more for a 60gb iPod photo and get the $19 firewire cable free(?).

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2005, 04:48 PM

How much you think these cables really cost Apple? Perhaps $1 or $2?
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Mithras
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2005, 01:21 AM

Originally posted by joelcpa:
Maybe to you and me, but not to most of the people commenting here. Apparently, they were happier when they could pay $150 more for a 60gb iPod photo and get the $19 firewire cable free(?).
I just think that Apple, of all companies, could suck it up and offer a Mac-oriented firewire version, and eat whatever bit of profit it would require to cater to the needs of the Macintosh market (!)

But in another sense this is entirely consistent with Apple's behavior, which is to treat owners of machines as little as 12 months old like garbage.

Spliff
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2005, 01:29 AM

Originally posted by Mithras:
I just think that Apple, of all companies, could suck it up and offer a Mac-oriented firewire version, and eat whatever bit of profit it would require to cater to the needs of the Macintosh market (!)

But in another sense this is entirely consistent with Apple's behavior, which is to treat owners of machines as little as 12 months old like garbage.
You speak the truth.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Feb 27, 2005, 12:30 PM

Originally posted by joelcpa:
Well, let's look at this.

Old 40 GB iPod: $399 and I get a FireWire cable and Dock.

New 30 GB iPod + FireWire cable + Dock: $349 + $19 + $39 = $407, and I only get 30 GB instead of 40 GB! Where's this price cut you speak of again?!

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

broca
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2005, 01:07 PM

to some mac users apple can do no wrong. all these while when apple's new product came out less than xpectation or priced too high they always have an excuse for their "beloved company". now with this firewire cable issue some even mentioned its good for enviroment.. geeze come on people, be objective and fair in your arguments. if this is a product from creative or dell, wonder what would those mac users say. i'm a mac user too but lately i feel that apple is really getting too profit oriented in trying to milk the max out of its popular products. and in the process they have somehow forsaken their loyal supporters during all those troubled times...
power corrupts. absolute power(ipod) corrupts absolutely. so steve you're looking more like bill as days go by. remember "animal farm" by george orwell?

Busemann
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2005, 04:01 PM

Originally posted by CharlesS:

New 30 GB iPod + FireWire cable + Dock: $349 + $19 + $39 = $407, and I only get 30 GB instead of 40 GB! Where's this price cut you speak of again?!
You also get much better battery-life, smaller and lighter enclosure and a color screen...

I bet 40GB iPods are selling at a heavy discount right now, so if the additional 10GB is so important I'd buy one now.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2005, 04:03 PM

umm.. that price was for the Black and white older iPod. the 40GB Photo went for $499, so basically you are spending $93 LESS. Otherwise, you can get a 60GB model for $449 +$60 for the Firewire cable and dock. So for $10 more than the old 40GB model, you can get a 60GB with the extras.

joelcpa
Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2005, 05:20 PM

Sorry Charlie, but the old 40gb COLOR ipod went for $499.

Don't let the facts get in the way of your poor argument.

Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2005, 05:29 PM

In the past, the absence of a FireWire cable would be more than a minor inconvenience. With earlier iPod models and versions of iTunes, transfer via USB 2.0 was noticeably slower. Apple appears to have made improvements to bring USB 2.0 transfers into line with FireWire. In my tests, a dual-processor 2GHz Power Mac G5 filled a 6GB mini in 15 minutes and 17 seconds over USB 2.0. Using a FireWire connection shaved a scant 18 seconds off that time. And on a 3GHz Dell Dimension 4700 PC running Windows XP, USB 2.0 transfer was faster than FireWire�taking 17 minutes and 49 seconds to top off the mini versus the 20 minutes and 16 seconds it took to do the job via FireWire. (Yes, as these figures indicate, moving music to an iPod takes less time with a Mac.)

http://playlistmag.com/reviews/2005/...src=mcrss-0205

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2005, 01:34 AM

Originally posted by Busemann:
You also get much better battery-life
Okay, you got me on this one. The Photo does have better battery life, although the regular iPod's battery is good enough that I haven't had it run out before I was able to charge it yet.

smaller and lighter enclosure
Huh? I'd understood that the iPod Photo has a larger enclosure.

and a completely useless color screen...
Fixed.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2005, 01:38 AM

Originally posted by TailsToo:
umm.. that price was for the Black and white older iPod. the 40GB Photo went for $499, so basically you are spending $93 LESS.
$93 less... than the 40 GB iPod Photo which no one wanted! That model hadn't been selling. The normal 40 GB model is no longer available, and thus this new 30 GB model is very much a replacement for it. And it is not as good a deal.

Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2005, 02:30 AM

Oh ya, another downer is that most computers kill the power to the USB ports when sleeping. Firewire keeps on ticking.

cmoney
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 28, 2005, 03:19 AM

$93 less... than the 40 GB iPod Photo which no one wanted! That model hadn't been selling. The normal 40 GB model is no longer available, and thus this new 30 GB model is very much a replacement for it. And it is not as good a deal.
It's a better deal for me. I spent $349 instead of $499 and got everything I needed. So the way I see it, I saved $150 by not being "forced" to buy bundled accessories I would not have used anyway.

Busemann
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2005, 08:41 AM

Huh? I'd understood that the iPod Photo has a larger enclosure.
Then you're wrong.. The new 30GB iPod photo is almost as thin as the 20GB iPod.

As for the usefulness of the color screen, it's much more readable than the previous and I for one think it's great to see the cover-art while playing. On top of that you get the photo capabilities, so I'd say it's a very good value.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2005, 11:30 AM

As for the usefulness of the color screen, it's much more readable than the previous...
Yep. It's got a higher resolution and a much nicer GUI. Even if you don't want/need color, you'll definitely prefer the new screen.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2005, 11:52 AM

Then you're wrong.. The new 30GB iPod photo is almost as thin as the 20GB iPod.
Almost as thin means not as thin! I had understood that the 20 GB iPod and the B/W 40 GB iPod were the same size, and the iPod Photo models were larger. Or am I mistaken?

Busemann
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2005, 11:57 AM

Almost as thin means not as thin! I had understood that the 20 GB iPod and the B/W 40 GB iPod were the same size, and the iPod Photo models were larger. Or am I mistaken?
The 40GB were thicker than the 20GB, and also thicker than the 30GB iPod photo.
( Last edited by Busemann; Feb 28, 2005 at 12:15 PM. )

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2005, 12:06 PM

old 20GB: 0.57", 5.6 ounces
old 40 GB: 0.69", 6.2 ounces
old 40 GB photo: 0.75", 6.4 ounces
old 60 GB photo: 0.75", 6.4 ounces
new 30 GB photo: 0.63", 5.9 ounces
new 60 GB photo: 0.75", 6.4 ounces
( Last edited by Simon; Feb 28, 2005 at 12:15 PM. )

Busemann
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2005, 12:11 PM

Originally posted by Simon:
old 40 GB: 0.62", 6.2 ounces
0.69" actually

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2005, 12:16 PM

0.69" actually
Right, my bad. Typo. Corrected.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2005, 08:04 PM

Originally posted by Simon:
old 20GB: 0.57", 5.6 ounces
old 40 GB: 0.69", 6.2 ounces
old 40 GB photo: 0.75", 6.4 ounces
old 60 GB photo: 0.75", 6.4 ounces
new 30 GB photo: 0.63", 5.9 ounces
new 60 GB photo: 0.75", 6.4 ounces
Okay, I stand corrected.

I'd still rather have the extra 10 GB if I were going to spend that kind of money.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2005, 11:50 PM

I don't understand your logic. Apple lowered the entry price point by $150, and it's not as good a deal? Sure it's a 30GB vs a 40GB, but as you said before, no one wanted the 40. Maybe they will want a much cheaper 30, or a 60GB model for $50 less than the old 40GB.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2005, 01:27 AM

Originally posted by TailsToo:
I don't understand your logic. Apple lowered the entry price point by $150, and it's not as good a deal? Sure it's a 30GB vs a 40GB, but as you said before, no one wanted the 40. Maybe they will want a much cheaper 30, or a 60GB model for $50 less than the old 40GB.
The point is that there used to be a 40 GB model that was not an iPod Photo that was not much more than the new 30 GB model at all, especially when you factor in the price of the FireWire cable. Now that model is gone. The new 30 GB model is not much cheaper than that model, and it isn't as good if you don't need the photo stuff.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Mar 1, 2005, 11:52 AM

The point is that there used to be a 40 GB model that was not an iPod Photo that was not much more than the new 30 GB model at all, especially when you factor in the price of the FireWire cable. Now that model is gone. The new 30 GB model is not much cheaper than that model, and it isn't as good if you don't need the photo stuff.
If you want the 40 GB, you can still buy it.

joelcpa
Forum Regular
Mar 1, 2005, 05:14 PM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
If you want the 40 GB, you can still buy it.

Don't bother, Charlie has made up his mind already. Cluttering up his argument with the facts is futile.

Forum Links
Forum Rules