Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Digital Camera Recommendation

Digital Camera Recommendation
driven
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2005, 08:11 PM

I'd like to continue this thread here (Tookie closed it in the lounge, but didn't move it here.)

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=277531
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

zerostar
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2005, 10:27 PM

Well I will try to counteract some of the Sony bashing, first let me say I have been using $500K sony video cams almost weekly for many years so I am used to using their high-end equipment not their cheap consumer crap.

When I got the DSC-W1 as a gift I was not exactly excited, mind you I had at the time a 3.0mp Canon SD series point and shoot, the sony has handily replaced the canon (I gave the canon to a friend), I find the zeiss glass top notch and basically this is the most important part of the camera. This camera is faster to startup, capture and store photos then my canon was even with the fastest CF card (I am using 512MB sony memory stick pro cards) The shutter lag was very impressive and the quality and night shots are head and shoulders above my canon.

Not to say there is no flaws, but the most immediate thing I saw was that the size was perfect for me as I have largeish hands and even the new SD500 feels like I will drop it at any second.

I don't get the hating on Memory Stick, never had a problem with them and never had one go bad (Cant say the same for CF) plus the prices are close or even a few bucks cheaper then the SD cards. (1GB MS Pro is $60 right now, check SD prices!)

Another consideration is batteries, wait till you have to replace the $45 battery in the canon and of course you will want another $45 backup to use, The AAs that came with the Sony are rechargeable so I have an extra set of radio-shack rechargeable for like $7 and a couple cheap AAs for emergencies and I am never without power or $1 away from power. (Dollar store Dur-Cells haha)

Th best part is the accessories:

these can be added to the camera for macro, telephoto, wide-angle or special effects.
AFAIk you can't add anything to the Canon's so your are SOL if you need something the default lens doesn't offer.

A few things to think about...

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 5, 2005, 03:05 AM

For what it's worth, I think Sony makes great point and shoot cameras with excellent low light performance. Many Sony cameras have superb Carl Zeiss optics. Sony's top of the line cameras (the $1000 models) have optics that, for an SLR, would easily cost $1000 for the lens alone. Memory Stick (especially the faster Pro variant) is a perfectly good card format with a very robust connector. What the Sonys tend to be weak on is manual controls, so if you are looking for that, go with something like a Canon or Nikon.

tooki

dark3lf
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2005, 02:25 PM

I love my FujiFilm FinePix F10 (they've since replaced it with F11).

dark3lf
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2005, 02:27 PM

crap.

Forum Links
Forum Rules