Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Pacifist 2.0 - testers wanted

Pacifist 2.0 - testers wanted
CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 24, 2005, 02:35 AM

Well, it's been delayed long enough - I need to get Pacifist 2.0 released. It's feature-complete right now, and has been for some time actually, but it needs some beta testing to be released. If you'd like to help out, or if you'd like a chance to play with the long-overdue new version before it's released, shoot me off an e-mail at my e-mail address (the part before the at sign is support, the part after the at sign is charlessoft.com). Please do send me an e-mail if you want to test - this is much easier for me to keep track of than replies in this thread.

I promise that I will try to handle this one better than I did the BootCD testing.

Here are some of the new features in version 2.0:

- Full support for Tiger, fixing all the minor issues that have plagued the current version

- Ready to be recompiled as a Universal Binary (although this version will still be a PPC binary so that support for 10.2 can be kept, at least in this version).

- Added support for opening .dmg, .pax, .tar, .tgz, and raw .bom files instead of just .pkgs

- Added the ability to read the Software Restore images through the "Open Apple Install Packages" button

- Added the ability to read the packages for several other Apple install discs than just the OS X discs, including iLife

- Prebinding works a lot better now under Tiger

- Added an option to ignore .DS_Store files that are in a package

- Authenticating is now optional - files can be extracted as the currently logged user if desired

- Added the ability to create receipts

- Fixed a problem that caused some packages on Disc 2 and Disc 3 of some install disc sets to show up as 0 byte packages

- Fixed some spurious AppleDouble warnings under Tiger

- Added the ability to open Public Beta packages

- Added the ability to view certain package resources, such as Read Mes, etc.

Specifically, I would like to test this with:

- A variety of different machines, with different install discs. I am especially interested in multi-DVD install disc sets, and the old style Software Restore discs with a bunch of bundled software in hidden disk images.

- Any Apple install discs you may happen to have other than the OS install discs (iLife, etc.)

- Anyone still running 10.2, since this will be the last version to support that OS

- If anyone still has 10.1, we can try that one too, although I kind of doubt it will still work.

Note: Anyone who submits meaningful beta test reports will get a free registration code. However, you have to do actual work to get a reg code, sending me a detailed report of what you did and what the results were. "I ran it, and it worked great!" is not enough to get a free regcode.

Thanks in advance,
CharlesS
( Last edited by CharlesS; Dec 24, 2005 at 03:38 AM. )

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2005, 09:38 AM

Mail sent.

CharlesS  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 27, 2005, 02:38 AM

And... here's the requisite stupid picture to attract attention to this thread.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Person Man
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2005, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS
And... here's the requisite stupid picture to attract attention to this thread.
Uh...

Your BootCD beta thread had a bunch of people registering to MacNN JUST to sign up for the beta testing, and this thread has nobody yet?

That "requisite stupid picture" doesn't seem to be attracting much attention...

I've only used Pacifist twice, but I'll be happy to beta test the new version.

I have all iterations of OS X from Public Beta through 10.4 (including all Developer tools packages and all the software updates for 10.0, 10.1, 10.2, 10.3, 10.4-- in short all types of packages that you claim support for), and I have old-style multi-CD system restore discs from a QuickSilver and the Restore disc from a 1 GHz Titanium PowerBook, and the restore/AHT DVD that came with my first generation dual 2.0 GHz Power Mac G5.

dark3lf
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2005, 11:02 PM

I use Pacifist all the time, mail sent. Thanks Charles!

CharlesS  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 2, 2006, 05:01 AM

Okay, come on, surely a few more people would like to beta test this.

Surely there's someone who's still running some flavor of 10.2.x? Or 10.3.x at least?

CharlesS  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 3, 2006, 07:10 AM

bump

workerbee
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2006, 12:15 PM

Unfortunately, 10.4.3 only here. Everyone else I can think of also is on Tiger (or OS 7 or 8, but that probably does not really help much
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jan 3, 2006, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS
Okay, come on, surely a few more people would like to beta test this.

Surely there's someone who's still running some flavor of 10.2.x? Or 10.3.x at least?
If you want I can install 10.2.x on my PowerBook and test it there. That will have to wait until this coming weekend, though, as I'm pretty busy during the week.

CharlesS  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 3, 2006, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Person Man
If you want I can install 10.2.x on my PowerBook and test it there. That will have to wait until this coming weekend, though, as I'm pretty busy during the week.
If you could do that, that would be great. I'd really like to know if this works with 10.2.x so I can put Jaguar in the system requirements. The reason is that this is extremely likely to be the last release that will support Jaguar, as AFAICT it's not possible to make a Universal Binary that will run on anything older than 10.3.

Thanks!

Charles

CharlesS  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 6, 2006, 11:27 PM

bump again...

Come on guys, surely there are a few more people that would like to help beta test.

I can see it now... I end up releasing the thing, and it turns out to be kinda buggy, and then all the people who completely ignored this thread start complaining about it.

loren s
Senior User
Jan 7, 2006, 12:36 AM

Sign me up!.. email sent

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2006, 05:23 PM

I have been so bogged down at work lately I haven't had a chance to thoroughly test it yet.

For nostalgia's sake I installed Music Player.app from my Public Beta disc. The install did seem to work properly, but the app does not run . This week should be much less hectic, so hopefully I can run it through its paces.

CharlesS  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 15, 2006, 05:21 PM

Well, due to the recent release of the Intel Macs and some great help from Kelvin to make a universal binary work with 10.2.x (thanks Kelvin!), the latest Pacifist 2.0 builds are now Universal Binaries. So if anyone has one of the new Intel Macs, and would like to test to make sure that this Universal Binary version of Pacifist actually works, drop me an e-mail! It's the same as before: support, then the 'at' sign, then charlessoft, then a period, then com. So far, I've sent the build out to a few people, but I haven't gotten any results back yet. Come on guys, I want to know if this works.

CharlesS  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 21, 2006, 05:05 PM

Okay, since I wrote the post above last week, a number of people have volunteered to try the universal binary version of Pacifist on an Intel Mac. However, none of them have written back yet!

Come on, guys, I need to know whether Pacifist 2.0 works on Intel Macs as a universal binary. If I am not able to find this out, I will have to revert to a PPC-only binary, because I'd rather have this working well under Rosetta than not working as a universal binary.

Forum Links
Forum Rules