Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > [Preview] HIBRIDO Mac OS X GUI Kit

[Preview] HIBRIDO Mac OS X GUI Kit (Page 2)
Apfhex
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2004, 04:10 PM

Originally posted by renn:
same here
No! I like the buttons and scroll bar how the are!

Hybrid Rainbow  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2004, 04:27 PM

Originally posted by Apfhex:
No! I like the buttons and scroll bar how the are!
Actually everyone that I talk to on my buddylist love the way the buttons and scroll are

renn
Aug 22, 2004, 04:35 PM

the quality of both is good, but in my opinion (also a graphic designer) the two things look inconsistent when you look at it within a small window as showed in the teaser. it's just that the push button looks a lot shinier than the tabs, therefore inconsistent in style (but then again, it's a small window), i should just wait and see how the real thing feels like.

eFX
Aug 22, 2004, 05:56 PM

see this is why its bad to show previews *I think it should look like this or look like that* funny how everyone a critic all of a sudden
Looks like itll turn into *what you think it should look like* with 100 opinions.

Hybrid Rainbow  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2004, 06:55 PM

Originally posted by eFX:
see this is why its bad to show previews *I think it should look like this or look like that* funny how everyone a critic all of a sudden
Looks like itll turn into *what you think it should look like* with 100 opinions.
Yup, actually you're right... maybe it's just because I try to be nice with everyone, don't get me wrong, I am nice, hehehe...
But I haven't even finish working on this theme... so I'll just finish it and we'll see
Anyway... if u don't like it just don't use it

Holigen
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2004, 07:28 PM

Haha, thats a good philosophy. I did notice how the buttons where a bit "Aqua-like" but the shine seemed a bit more muted and the color was brighter. I think theyre fine they way they are, but it might be a good idea just to make a variation if there are enough people who prefer the other style. Variations are always good

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

Hybrid Rainbow  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2004, 01:21 AM

Originally posted by Holigen:
Haha, thats a good philosophy. I did notice how the buttons where a bit "Aqua-like" but the shine seemed a bit more muted and the color was brighter. I think theyre fine they way they are, but it might be a good idea just to make a variation if there are enough people who prefer the other style. Variations are always good
Good philosophy it is.. and variations are good too, indeed...
That's why this particular theme will have color variations, maybe a graphite version or something, And probably later on, a totally non_aqua version so eventually everyone will have their style covered up with this theme And I hope everyone likes Hibrido Neon Metal

Makki
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2004, 01:28 AM

Look great any eta?

Makki

silencedge
Aug 23, 2004, 01:31 AM

Excellent concept. =)

Like your site design as well... and of course, good to see so many A-S guys around.

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 23, 2004, 12:34 PM

Originally posted by fireside:
perhaps because his entire site is like that?

thats mighty arrogant of you bbx.
That's probably because I am indeed both mighty and arrogant Call me whatever you want, oh chip-shouldered one, I really don't care I just honestly don't recall seeing this sort fo thing done with themes/suites/skins before I did it, do you? Is it really so hard to imagine that this English/Japanese direction he's playing with was 'inspired' by my BBX stuff?

I ask myself, how long has he been doing this bilingual English/Japanese thing?
Just because he's incorporated it throughout his website dosn't mean he's been doing it for eons, does it? If this stuff is all recent (as the dates seem to indicate), I think it's safe to speculate that the English/Japanese thing was 'inspired', don't you? Does even suggesting the possibility make me an arrogant bastard? Think about it.

Besides, all this doesn't mean I'm not prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt... he is Peruvian - Peru has a substantial Japanese population... he may very well be Japanese (whole or in part), even speak Japanese (which looks highly possible given the degree of Japanese he's used on his site). If not, he may have been doing this sort of thing prior to 2001 when I began incorporating Japanese into my own GUI stuff. I'll be the first to admit he may be entirely justified in doing so, in which case I guess I'm just sh*t out of luck.

See, from my perspective, the English/Japanese bilingual UI identity thing was something original I use as a sort of hallmark for my work. Kind of kills it for me when it becomes a 'trend', doesn't it? But again, depending on why he's used it I'll freely admit I really haven't got a leg to stand on.

Imagine for a moment you've come up with an uber-cool idea nobody's used yet, then one day you see it being used by someone else... ask yourself, how would you feel about that? Think you'd be tempted to speak up?

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 23, 2004, 12:48 PM

Originally posted by bbxstudio:
That's probably because I am indeed both mighty and arrogant Call me whatever you want, oh chip-shouldered one, I really don't care I just honestly don't recall seeing this sort fo thing done with themes/suites/skins before I did it, do you? Is it really so hard to imagine that this English/Japanese direction he's playing with was 'inspired' by my BBX stuff?

Just because he's incorporated it throughout his website dosn't mean he's been doing it for eons, does it? If this stuff is all recent (as the dates seem to indicate), I think it's safe to speculate that the English/Japanese thing was 'inspired', don't you? Does even suggesting the possibility make me an arrogant bastard? Think about it.

Besides, all this doesn't mean I'm not prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt... he is Peruvian - Peru has a substantial Japanese population... he may very well be Japanese (whole or in part), even speak Japanese (which looks highly possible given the degree of Japanese he's used on his site). If not, he may have been doing this sort of thing prior to 2001 when I began incorporating Japanese into my own GUI stuff. I'll be the first to admit he may be entirely justified in doing so, in which case I guess I'm just sh*t out of luck.

See, from my perspective, the English/Japanese bilingual UI identity thing was something original I use as a sort of hallmark for my work. Kind of kills it for me when it becomes a 'trend', doesn't it? But again, depending on why he's used it I'll freely admit I really haven't got a leg to stand on.

Imagine for a moment you've come up with an uber-cool idea nobody's used yet, then one day you see it being used by someone else... ask yourself, how would you feel about that? Think you'd be tempted to speak up?

Aren't you supposed to be working on Omega instead of bashing someone who might share the same interests that you do? I mean seriously. He's using american and japanese elements in his theme, so we'd better pay homage to BBX because he started it. Dude why don't you just stick to making windows media player skins, because all you do when you post here is talk trash about how you're the god of all things gui, etc.

Holigen
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2004, 12:50 PM

Originally posted by Hybrid Rainbow:
Good philosophy it is.. and variations are good too, indeed...
That's why this particular theme will have color variations, maybe a graphite version or something, And probably later on, a totally non_aqua version so eventually everyone will have their style covered up with this theme And I hope everyone likes Hibrido Neon Metal
Ya, and this is the type of theme that will greatly lend itself to variations since the colors are so pronounced against the white. Looks great, cant wait to see it

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

Komisar
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2004, 01:05 PM

Hey bbx stop acting like a two year old, just because you started the "trend" doesn't mean you freaking copy righted it.

fireside
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2004, 02:37 PM

long rant about how cool my ideas are blah blah blah
you know bbx, not every single person in the world has seen your stuff. not everyone knows that YOU "started" the bilingual english/japanese crap. and frankly, i don't even think you started it. the whole english/japanese stuff has been around for "eons" in the fansubbing/anime world.

and if someone took my "awesome" (see how arrogant you are bbx?) idea, and used it themselves, i'd be flattered, not insecure about my manlyhood. and i thought the main thing you used to identify you're work (besides your flattering of yourself) was the fact that you put your freaking name before every theme. BBX-Metal, BBX-Whatever, BBX-I'm-so-awesome.

servo
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 23, 2004, 02:49 PM

Is it really so hard to imagine that this English/Japanese direction he's playing with was 'inspired' by my BBX stuff?
I hate to get involved in these kind of threads but wow, that is rather arrogant. Mixing Japanese themes with English has beeen coming down the pipe well before you started. One might argue you are copying something else. Japanese culture has been creaping into everything for a few years now. I mean hell, I remember spending all day of January 1 2000 watching an Iron Chef marathon. I know it's been a long time but you haven't been working on Omega for that long have you?

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2004, 03:45 PM

Kinda eerie when you look at the first post and then this BBX Teaser , I'd say inspired and take it as a complement.

Hybrid Rainbow  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2004, 04:43 PM

Ok...First of all, I'm kinda tired of people taking personal crusades against other people who are just trying to make something good and just having fun in the process, you don't even have to like it BBX. If I'm using Japanese characters on a teaser or even my site, doesn't have anything to do with u or your great work, and I'm not being sarcastic, I can honestly say that u're a great artist, but a little modesty doesn't hurt, does it? I am Peruvian and not Japanese, but I used to watch anime a lot, since 1997, and I learned some japanese at that time.. I forgot a lot of it now, and I don't watch anime anymore.
People change, tastes changes, but I still like the japanese language A LOT, and just the way the characters can represent a graphic idea so well. English is not even my mother language, spanish is. So if I wanna use a different language to express something I have on my mind, I think I will
So, if u invented japanese, I'm deeply sorry, I won't use it again
and pleasem let's all be friends

unlinear
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 23, 2004, 05:26 PM

Hybrid-- I think it's amazing that you're staying this cool with all this crap thrown at you. My compliments.

Looking forward to your theme-- that will hopefully look just like the mockup-- since thats the way _YOU_ intended it to be.

SafariX
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2004, 05:46 PM

Originally posted by TheSpaz:
Can you make the PUSH buttons and scroll bars the same color and style as the tabs? The Aqua buttons look out of place in that screenshot... does anyone else agree with me?
I agree.

Holigen
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2004, 05:54 PM

Haha, ya, its awesome that youre being cool with all this sh*t. BBX is an extremely talented guy but sometimes he just gets mad at people because they complain about how long his theme is taking, or he notices something about another persons work that vaguely resembles his and is put off by it. No need to listen to him, just get this theme out there as promised and youll have gained much more credit in the Mac OS X GUI world than he has. Its been what a year since he said it would be coming soon? Anyways...

Nice attitude, really appreciate it in this community especially

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2004, 05:56 PM

Originally posted by SafariX:
I agree.
Double agreed. The Aqua isn't working, but most everything else seems to be working quite nicely.
click one

Komisar
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2004, 06:07 PM

Holigen is right, and i am sorry for starting the rucus in this thread. But modesty would be good.

Holigen
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2004, 06:20 PM

You didnt start it man, I did and I was being an ass...

Anyways, I think that bbx searches these forums for the world bbx and just checks those so he can see what people are saying about him. Notice how someone said bbx is gonna have competition and then he posts in the thread. Its weird...

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2004, 06:53 PM

Anyways, I think that bbx searches these forums for the world bbx and just checks those so he can see what people are saying about him. Notice how someone said bbx is gonna have competition and then he posts in the thread. Its weird...
lol

Well we should try and stay on topic if you ask me.
click one

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 23, 2004, 08:53 PM

I think what Hybrid's doing is cool enough... we're obviously both huge fans of the Japanese alphabet and graphic style. Bilingual Japanese/English has been done by many others (and much better than I've ever done it) for years for many different things, including Anime. But let's be honest, up until now I was the only guy doing it for GUI-design branding. I know it, you know it - he knows it. It's a free world, and the guy can obviously do what he wants - but c'mon guys, it's hardly original. Some of the stuff I've originated just seemed like the way it should be done, so I've welcomed as it's been woven into the fabric of GUI geekdom - but the Japanese/English branding thing as it relates to GUI design, I (and many others) have always thought of that as signature BBX stuff. Call me arrogant/insane/delusional whatever (chances are you're absolutely correct on all counts) - but at least I've always been original. They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery - but in this case (despite the fact that our designs are nothing alike) it just annoys me. So sue me, I'm only human.

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 23, 2004, 08:55 PM

Actually, I didn't notice that until after I'd posted my first message (I'm here because I'm an enthusiast and a member - I look at every new theme design that pops up). There is no competition.

Hybrid Rainbow  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2004, 09:27 PM

There is no competition.
OK, if there's no competition then stop saying u're the only one with the ORIGINAL idea about Japanese/English stuff. If u consider that is ur personal brand, then good for you man. I don't know much of ur your work, as u don't know much of mine. We do have different styles.
I respect you and I think u should respect me too.
No competition, no hard feelings
And for me, in the future I'll just disregard posts about that matter

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2004, 11:38 PM

Hybrid Rainbow: Big props and RESPECT to you my friend.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2004, 02:38 AM

Actually, I didn't notice that until after I'd posted my first message (I'm here because I'm an enthusiast and a member - I look at every new theme design that pops up). There is no competition.
Maybe you (and everyone) should let it slide? When it all boils down, it's really no big deal. Nobody can copy your signature style bbx, and I really doubt he had your designs in mind when he made the teaser. Anyway someone's bound to use the concept eventually even if they have never seen your work before.
click one

renn
Aug 24, 2004, 05:32 AM

me parece que vas a tener arto exito con esto

i was wondering, you said you are a win user, so what keeps you from switching to an apple?

swiz
GUI Punk
Aug 24, 2004, 08:10 AM

See, from my perspective, the English/Japanese bilingual UI identity thing was something original I use as a sort of hallmark for my work. Kind of kills it for me when it becomes a 'trend', doesn't it?
New *GOOD* ideas in any design environment (or any environment for that matter) always end up being trendy, its inevitable. Its not your fault for starting the trend but all the imitators, you just have to run around clearing up all the confusion on where it started when far down the road people call you a follower as well. Most people dont do the background checking as you do B.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

Hybrid Rainbow  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2004, 02:10 PM

Originally posted by renn:
me parece que vas a tener arto exito con esto
i was wondering, you said you are a win user, so what keeps you from switching to an apple?
Thnx, actually nothing , well , I'm just 20 and I'm just starting college next week, I quited from my last job so.. as soon as I find a good one that don't demand too much time, I'll save and buy one

kwyjiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 24, 2004, 03:55 PM

OH please. You act like you're the first Japanese fanboy wannabe. YOU DIDN'T INVENT JAPAN.
Septuple post! Quadruple word score!

Holigen
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2004, 05:02 PM

Originally posted by kwyjiboy:
OH please. You act like you're the first Japanese fanboy wannabe. YOU DIDN'T INVENT JAPAN.
Lol

ambush
Banned
Aug 24, 2004, 05:08 PM

SWEEEETZ0R

ambush
Banned
Aug 24, 2004, 05:17 PM

I LOVE Japanese stuff!!

Maybe this theme will even replace SIRO for me (I love CAPS LOCK Japanese names )

and BBX, piss off. I'm getting sick and tired of your little "holier than thou" attitude.

Release your **** and then we'll see. In the mean time, stfu about others copying Japanese/English **** because everyone knows Japanese/English is THE **** now.

Makki
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2004, 06:11 PM

LMAO all this bickering bout Japanese this n that. Hmm maybe we should get really technical on this issue and demand permissions from the creator of Japanese language. ugh

Get off the pot with this dumb ass arguement people it is so lame.

Makki

fireside
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2004, 06:34 PM

Originally posted by Makki:
LMAO all this bickering bout Japanese this n that. Hmm maybe we should get really technical on this issue and demand permissions from the creator of Japanese language. ugh

Get off the pot with this dumb ass arguement people it is so lame.

Makki
im not even sure the japanese got permission from china to mod their language.

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 24, 2004, 07:20 PM

Originally posted by ambush:
and BBX, piss off. I'm getting sick and tired of your little "holier than thou" attitude.
Lick me weasel. I really don't give a sh*t what you think.

Dave-o�
Senior User
Aug 24, 2004, 07:30 PM

okay i've been reading this thread since the start...

MY TURN!

I touch myself in naughty places... I use Crisco to wash my body and then let the squirrels feast off of me.. I also love to duct tape hamsters to my inner thighs and run naked through laundry mats.. but most of all i just love myself.
( Last edited by Dave-o�; Aug 24, 2004 at 07:47 PM. )

Banghazi
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 24, 2004, 07:32 PM

Banghazi
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 24, 2004, 07:35 PM

Originally posted by Dave-o�:
okay i've been reading this thread since the start...

MY TURN!

I touch myself in naughty places... I use Crisco to was my body and then let the squirrels feast off of me.. I also love to duct tape hamsters to my inner thighs and run naked through laundry mats.. but most of all i just love myself.
hey Dave-O, have you ever taken two cats, tied their tails together with wire, and dropped em over an electric fence?

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 24, 2004, 07:38 PM

Originally posted by fireside:
im not even sure the japanese got permission from china to mod their language.
Hahaha... that's actually funny

I know I'm coming off like a total assh*le. I know I've pushed the argument too far (I lose all control when the weasels started biting). No sleep, too much work, coming across this thread = instant agression. Like I said, I'm only human.

Hybrid, deepest apologies for overreacting to your picking up on what seemed to me like an original idea, but in retrospect seems pretty obvious. Just as long as you know that I did it first

[[ Still can't help but wonder if we'd be having the same argument if I'd used sanskrit as opposed to Japanese, though... would everybody be jumping to the defense of the guy who started branding his themes sanskrit/english??? ]]

Dave-o�
Senior User
Aug 24, 2004, 07:46 PM

Originally posted by Banghazi:
hey Dave-O, have you ever taken two cats, tied their tails together with wire, and dropped em over an electric fence?
Yup.. ya ever do it with 4 of deem little rascals while take'n a good 'o pisser on 'um? talk about funny.. but they sure do stank after the cook'ns over with...

---> sanskrit/english.. now there's a novel idea I'm taking bets that someone will do this before the week is out.. any one in for $20?

Ji Eun
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 24, 2004, 08:48 PM

this GUI Customization forum is so under-moderated it reeks. over half of the posts in this thread are off-topic and flamebait. there's more twisted personal jabs, direct and indirect snipes here than in an episode of Melrose Place. it's amazing that HRainbow even continues to follow this thread. what a fine 'community' here. way to welcome the new designer.

Hybrid Rainbow  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2004, 11:17 PM

Originally posted by Ji Eun:
this GUI Customization forum is so under-moderated it reeks. over half of the posts in this thread are off-topic and flamebait. there's more twisted personal jabs, direct and indirect snipes here than in an episode of Melrose Place. it's amazing that HRainbow even continues to follow this thread. what a fine 'community' here. way to welcome the new designer.
Oh don't worry about me, I love doing what I do, as everyone should right? I do feel welcome in this community, cause there are really nice people here. Oh, and call me Giancarlo, or Gian

Makki
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2004, 11:40 PM

The feeling is mutual Glen hehe

Makki

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2004, 01:03 AM

I think part of it is that everyone feels so comfortable with each other here that they don't hold back in a debate.

Now I think everyone should drop it and stay on topic! Ok fresh start:
Originally posted by Hybrid Rainbow:
Hello people. This is my first post here (I just registered myself ^^)
Well, my name is Giancarlo and I'm a graphic designer
I'm actually a windows user but I love everything about macs
That's why I'm making a Mac OS X theme based on my site design
and a little of aqua flavour The theme comes in two variants
The one in the teaser is the Regular one and u'll see the other soon

Here's the teaser image:

I also have planned to make two icon sets for each theme.
Well. For more info go to my site
The Magic Marble Project

Thanks for your time. And I would appreciate any comments
Hay dude you should port some of your clocks and mp3 player skins to Konfabulator while you're at it, they'd look really nice and I'm sure would work really well as iTunes remotes.
You've got a really nice site layout going there too.
click one

Hybrid Rainbow  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2004, 01:17 AM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
Hay dude you should port some of your clocks and mp3 player skins to Konfabulator while you're at it, they'd look really nice and I'm sure would work really well as iTunes remotes.
You've got a really nice site layout going there too. [/B]
Yup, I will. Actually I'm working as we speak (or write ) on the update of the StonePiece one. Wich will have more of the HIBRIDO feeling going on. And as AveTunes (iTunes remote for Windows) has more cool stuff now, the skin will have more buttons, and an animated toggle drawer
So, maybe I'll ask Makki later to port this to Konfab

Dave-o�
Senior User
Aug 25, 2004, 08:47 AM

YES! a complete and i mean really complete GUI Kit.. not many of these floating around!

Forum Links
Forum Rules