Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Just got the Mac Mini!

Just got the Mac Mini!
MarkusYamamoto
Forum Regular
Jan 21, 2005, 08:56 AM

I ordered on the day it was announced and I just got it thursday 1/20/05

It is a 1.42 W/BT & AP Extreme, Superdrive and, a 80GB 4200RPM Toshiba drive but, I got it with only 256MB of ram because I ordered a 1 GB Kingston stick from Outpost for $129.00 after rebate and a Seagate 100GB 5400RPM for $145.00 after rebate and it was very easy to install.

I am installing the Mac Mini OS X disc now as I am typing this on my 1.25Ghz Cube.

This is really cool and I would say that it is not that involved to take the Mini apart.
I have taken apart and replaced hard drives in iBooks Powerbooks and iMacs etc.
But the hardest to take apart are the original iBooks and then the white ones.

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 21, 2005, 09:10 AM

Psst, see that right there humping your post from above?

There for a reason, or else we'd have 809 threads by next weekend just as boring as yours saying "I got a Mac Mini!" I don't doubt they are nice, but still..
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

Chinasaur
Senior User
Jan 21, 2005, 09:15 AM

Oi! Grr! Nooo.!

This IS also the mMini forum. I mean..just give the guy a freakin break!

Just deal with the fact that a new computer has been released by Apple that people are excited about (which is a feature and not a bug btw) and that there will be lots of posts about it.

And if not.. IBL.
iMac - Late 2015 iMac, 32GB RAM
MacBook - 2010 MacBook, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM

pliny
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2005, 09:17 AM

+1
i look in your general direction

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jan 21, 2005, 09:42 AM

And the point of this thread is ...?

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2005, 09:52 AM

Congrats!

NB4TL
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

MichiganRich
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 21, 2005, 09:55 AM

doodly-ooo, before the lock (if, indeed, lockination is inevitable)

active
Jan 21, 2005, 09:59 AM

Originally posted by Grrr:
Psst, see that right there humping your post from above?

I'm sorry, but this is just getting rather stupid. Locking and closing these threads makes it look as if this is a dictated board - it's gone the other way now.

I actually *want* to hear what people think about their new Mac mini, whether it performs as expected etc. It influences other people to buy or hold off on their purchase.

We need *one* thread for this and we'd have one thread if they weren't constantly locked!

Chris.

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2005, 10:06 AM

It'll die down eventually in a few weeks and be back to normal. I just want step-by-step RAM upgrade instructions so I'll be ready to buy one when Tiger comes out.

jksu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2005, 10:09 AM

i just got mine too yesterday...1.42/superdrive/80/512/no wireless. i still have my tibook/400 to bring along for wireless surfing.

maybe when ram/hd prices come down i'll follow your lead and upgrade the ram and hard drive.

it took about 4 hrs for the transfer of the 60gigs of stuff on my tibook's 4200rpm drive to copy over to the mac mini.

it does run quietly and fits nicely under my samsung lcd.

john

Originally posted by MarkusYamamoto:

It is a 1.42 W/BT & AP Extreme, Superdrive and, a 80GB 4200RPM Toshiba drive but, I got it with only 256MB of ram because I ordered a 1 GB Kingston stick from Outpost for $129.00 after rebate and a Seagate 100GB 5400RPM for $145.00 after rebate and it was very easy to install.

I am installing the Mac Mini OS X disc now as I am typing this on my 1.25Ghz Cube.

This is really cool and I would say that it is not that involved to take the Mini apart.

audvidsvs
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 21, 2005, 10:12 AM

I for one am excited that someone has already "gone in" and I just wish the thread had been labeled to reflect that,otherwise it does just seem like one more Mini thread.
But where are the details and pictures?
What a Tease!

doopstr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2005, 10:21 AM

I received my Mac Mini as well yesterday. The machine is surprising fast for what I need it to do. That being email, web, light video editing, and running Apache.

One problem I noticed and I wonder if other Mini owners could report on this:

I have a PS/2-USB keyboard adapter. Marble Blast Gold does not respond correctly to key presses. The marble goes really slow and the game is unplayable. If I switch the function of the ball movement to a mouse button it works great so it�s not an issue with the machine being too slow. It seems there is an issue with the way my USB adapter (Belkin) translates a depressed key.

I sent an email got Garage Games last night but have not received a response yet to see if they are aware of the problem. I would imagine if I bought a USB keyboard the problem would go away but desk space does not allow for that since I eventually need to hookup my keyboard to a KVM and have access to a PC.

Other than that I am pleased with my purchase, OS X is very nice to work with.

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2005, 10:56 AM

Pictures!

///Milien
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 21, 2005, 11:00 AM

Congrats on the new purchase! I am looking at getting one myself and am wondering how hard was it to replace the HDD? I've seen a video on how to open the Mac mini and will definitely replace the RAM and would be interested in replacing the HDD as well.
 Mac Pro 8-Core 2.26GHz Xeon | 12GB RAM | 2.5TB HDD | ATI Radeon HD 4870 | 24" LED Cinema Display
 Mac mini [Unibody] 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo | 8GB RAM | 500GB Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid HDD | 24" LED Cinema Display
 MacBook Air 1.6GHz Core 2 Duo | 4GB RAM | 256GB SDD
Too many accessories to list...

Thade
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 21, 2005, 12:23 PM

how about some benchmarks?

J

osxisfun
Jan 21, 2005, 12:30 PM

congrats!

veauger
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2005, 12:52 PM

I just got mine today. We had some hassles with our bank getting the addresses right on the card, and Apple was very sympathetic. Well after a couple days of hassle, we finally got it straightened out, and Apple sent us the mini with free priority overnight shipping! Go Apple!

99switcher
Jan 21, 2005, 01:37 PM

Got mine too. It was sitting by the front door when I went home for lunch. Right now sitting next to my Cube still in that nifty little box. I'll be setting it up later today when I get home from work.

Cube 1.2 GHz, 512 Meg, 20 Gb, Radeon 7000 flashed. IMac DV 600 MHz, 512 Meg, 40 Gb, stock video (what else). Apple IIc. Mac 512K. Mac SE/30. And now, a 1.25 GHz Mini 256 Meg (soon to be a Gig), Airport, Combo & 40 Gb.

pliny
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2005, 02:36 PM

I hope you guys can post some pictures of your boxes and setups and run some apps etc. and let us know how they go!

Maybe you can also let us know what other stuff you got with the mini or what keyboards/monitors, other stuff etc, you already had, that you hooked up to it.

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 21, 2005, 03:05 PM

Originally posted by Randman:
to p*ss off useless self-appointed forum police

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2005, 03:36 PM

What is the build # for iPhoto? (it's in "About iPhoto" next to "version 5.0")

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 21, 2005, 04:08 PM

While we are all badgering you with requests, I would love to hear about your adventures installing the RAM and the drive. How easy is it, really, and what method did you use to get the case open?

Other than that, good deal. I love the look and the very idea of the mini.

Armando
Jan 21, 2005, 04:36 PM

Originally posted by andreas_g4:
Pictures!
You want pics?... here are mine:

Mac Mini Photo 1
Mac Mini Photo 2
Mac Mini Photo 3
Mac Mini Photo 4

My Mac Mini really wants to play with my Media Center 2005 Remote Control! That's okay it has a 23" LCD to play with... Also just upgraded my RAM and will be installing a TravelStar 7k60 (60GB - 7200 RPM) drive. The hard drive speed is probably the biggest bottleneck, look at Barefeets.com benchmarks.

osxisfun
Jan 21, 2005, 05:08 PM

nice.

peaceful looking home office too.

pliny
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2005, 05:18 PM

nice pictures.

the mini is really something (i keep saying this!)

MarkusYamamoto  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 21, 2005, 05:40 PM

I saw the video of the Mini being taken apart with the slim putty knife and when I saw it I realized that I had the same putty knife and so it opened about as easy as the video.

Here is the link
http://www.smashsworld.com/2005/01/t...ini-how-to.php

I will try to post pictures soon but, they are not in a step by step order.

OB1
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 21, 2005, 05:45 PM

Originally posted by active:
I'm sorry, but this is just getting rather stupid. Locking and closing these threads makes it look as if this is a dictated board - it's gone the other way now.

I actually *want* to hear what people think about their new Mac mini, whether it performs as expected etc. It influences other people to buy or hold off on their purchase.

We need *one* thread for this and we'd have one thread if they weren't constantly locked!

Chris.
The policing of the iMac forum has been over-zealous, to say the least. Is a new visitor to the forums likely to read through a whole 4+ page thread? Maybe not. It feels as if peoples enthusiasm for the Mac mini is being held back. How long has it been since we had a brand new Mac to talk about? It needs it's own forum really, but as iPod has only just got a forum to itself, I wont hold my breath.

and to all those who have received their Mac mini's - PICS!

OB1
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 21, 2005, 05:56 PM

Originally posted by Armando:
You want pics?... here are mine:

Mac Mini Photo 1
Mac Mini Photo 2
Mac Mini Photo 3
Mac Mini Photo 4

My Mac Mini really wants to play with my Media Center 2005 Remote Control! That's okay it has a 23" LCD to play with... Also just upgraded my RAM and will be installing a TravelStar 7k60 (60GB - 7200 RPM) drive. The hard drive speed is probably the biggest bottleneck, look at Barefeets.com benchmarks.
That's a cool looking mouse. May I ask who makes it please?

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2005, 06:05 PM

It's a Microsoft mouse.

MarkusYamamoto  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 21, 2005, 06:54 PM

The ram is immediately accessable when you get the top off with the putty knife method but then, to replace the hard drive you must remove the optical drive there are six small screws two on each of the opposite sides and two on the back where it is attached to the board.

Then, pull the optical drive straight out away from the board.
Next, there are three black screws that you need to remove, two on the back and one in the front right side that are screwed into the main board to remove the drive assembly.
There is a little connector that you must remove on the back right side if you are looking at it from the front of the Mini.
Also, if you ordered the Mini with the AP/BT option, there are two antennas that you must menuever around but you don't neccesarily have to remove them.
Once you have the drive assembly off from the main board, flip it over and there are three screws that hold the fan and those need to be removed so you can get to the four screws that hold the hard drive. After you replace the hard drive, reverse the proccess to put it back together.
The only tools you need for this is, a slim putty knife and, two phillips screwdrivers one no. 2 size and one small jewelers size.

I also noticed that the inside corners of the plastic base looked like they were cut with a Xacto knife probable a last minute adjustment to fit the top case of the Mini until they recast the plastic part but, as long as it fits and it's not visible.
It does look a little crude though.

Anyways, I hope this helps and enjoy.

Markus 8^)

MarkusYamamoto  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 21, 2005, 06:57 PM

Sorry but, for some reason I can't post attachments yet.
I guess I need to have more posts to get to that status?

Markus 8^)

f1000
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2005, 07:02 PM

As far as I know, you can't post pictures directly to the forums (probably due to copyright reasons). You have to host them on some other server and link to them by using vB code.

I suppose if I wasn't so lazy, I could ask one of the mods the exact reason why.

Armando
Jan 21, 2005, 07:03 PM

Originally posted by OB1:
That's a cool looking mouse. May I ask who makes it please?

It's a Microsoft S+arck Designer Mouse, I love it. It's very cool and the silver color matches nicely with my Powerbook and Mac Mini!

fhoubi
Senior User
Jan 21, 2005, 07:20 PM

Originally posted by Armando:
You want pics?... here are mine:[/URL]
Oh man, congrats... mini & 20" cinema, I'm dying from envy. At least we have the same loudspeakers
I'm-a trying to wonder, wonder, wonder why you, wonder, wonder why you act so.

krussell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2005, 07:22 PM

Originally posted by pliny:
I hope you guys can post some pictures of your boxes and setups and run some apps etc. and let us know how they go!

Maybe you can also let us know what other stuff you got with the mini or what keyboards/monitors, other stuff etc, you already had, that you hooked up to it.
I just put up several pictures including some iBook comparison shots. You can check them out at http://krussell.com/mini.

Enjoy,

Kevin

MarkusYamamoto  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 21, 2005, 07:44 PM

Markus 8^)

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2005, 09:58 PM

Originally posted by krussell:
I just put up several pictures including some iBook comparison shots. You can check them out at http://krussell.com/mini.

Enjoy,

Kevin
Nice place.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 21, 2005, 10:40 PM

Thanks for the links and the information. The Mini is really looking to me like a very exciting machine. Leave it Apple to make something so small and underpowered (compared to say, a G5) so damned attractive.

greenmeanie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2005, 11:02 PM

he is letting you know it is easy to upgrade.

Originally posted by Randman:

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 21, 2005, 11:07 PM

2K display, $500 computer with a dime-store video card

what the hell??? seriously! what the hell???

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2005, 11:34 PM

Originally posted by chrisutley:

heh heh...Apple style overrules practicality.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 22, 2005, 01:26 AM

Originally posted by AssassyN:
heh heh...Apple style overrules practicality.
Think about it... For the price of the display you could buy 4 of these Macs. I'm just glad the Mini can't drive the 30" ACD, because a photo of that setup would give me a stroke.

Armando
Jan 22, 2005, 01:32 AM

Originally posted by chrisutley:

I know it looks freakin weird for someone to do that, but I actually got my 23" Apple LCD for my Dell PC with a highend Quadro FX and to connect my Powerbook 15" on occasions. I bought the Mac Mini for my 3 year old daughter, she loves it! I had to connect it to my LCD, just for kicks! It's not too bad, although the genie window minimize/maximize doesn't run as smoothly.

But if you think about it, it's the cheapest 23" MAC solution, since no 23" iMac G5 exists. The next cheapest is a G5 PowerMac $1499 + $2k = $3499 vs. $2499.

chadseld
Forum Regular
Jan 22, 2005, 12:57 PM

My room mate just got his mini yesterday. I was expecting a reasonably nice, but lower than usual quality mac. Boy, I'm totally blown away. The feel of the unit is VERY solid, it reeks of high quality. It has much more in common with a PowerBook than an iBook. I was hoping this would be a winner for Apple and bring their market share up... I'm absolutely sure of it now. Anyone who is used to a eMachines, Dell, Gateway, HP, etc... is going to be walking around for a few days in a daze if this is their first Mac experience -- And I actually think some of those cheap Dells are reasonably nice. Apple nailed it.
If your computer stops responding for a long time, turn it off and then back on. - Microsoft

chadseld
Forum Regular
Jan 22, 2005, 01:20 PM

If your computer stops responding for a long time, turn it off and then back on. - Microsoft

osxisfun
Jan 22, 2005, 01:43 PM

chadseld, great post. great pics..

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 22, 2005, 02:22 PM

Originally posted by chadseld:
Here are my pictures...
http://homepage.mac.com/cseldomridge/PhotoAlbum9.html
Cool dog.

bmyers2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2005, 02:22 PM

Don't be surprised to find they don't have either RAM or Airport Extreme upgrades available. Of course I had wondered but hoped they would be prepared... After waiting in line about 25 people deep at 8:45 am pt today, I proudly announced what I had been repeating to myself in line... "I would like a 1.4 mini with a RAM upgrade to 512 and Airport Extreme please." After receiving a blank stare from the rep, a lead jumped in to advise they have neither in stock, nor the tool (putty knife) to install them. "Call back next week." he said... So that is what I will do.

Otherwise, no complaints or additional info to add that hasn't already been said. I am installing iLife '05 now and will then put it back in the box and plug my G5 back in. The mini goes upstairs once it gets wireless....
( Last edited by bmyers2; Jan 22, 2005 at 03:02 PM. )

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2005, 02:31 PM

I just got mine today too. Playing with it now. I'm doiing what any poweruser would do. Re-install with what you want on it. It's a sweet little machine. I also had the issue with them not having the BTO stuff yet. They also said to call back next week. I'm just going to get the Superdrive. Bluetooth and Possibly Airport. Other than that I'm going for the aftermarket RAM and the putty knife trick for it. I figure I'll wait on it though. Has anyone here done it yet? Was it easy to pop off the top? I can't wait to get that other stuff. I'm saving a crap load of space on my desk now. I think I might try to install OS X server on this little guy. Who knows. It's snowing. Not much else to do but play with my Mini.

It's factory config is pretty snappy.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2005, 02:39 PM

The ram is immediately accessable when you get the top off with the putty knife method but then, to replace the hard drive you must remove the optical drive there are six small screws two on each of the opposite sides and two on the back where it is attached to the board.

Then, pull the optical drive straight out away from the board.
Next, there are three black screws that you need to remove, two on the back and one in the front right side that are screwed into the main board to remove the drive assembly.
There is a little connector that you must remove on the back right side if you are looking at it from the front of the Mini.
Also, if you ordered the Mini with the AP/BT option, there are two antennas that you must menuever around but you don't neccesarily have to remove them.
Once you have the drive assembly off from the main board, flip it over and there are three screws that hold the fan and those need to be removed so you can get to the four screws that hold the hard drive. After you replace the hard drive, reverse the proccess to put it back together.
The only tools you need for this is, a slim putty knife and, two phillips screwdrivers one no. 2 size and one small jewelers size.

I also noticed that the inside corners of the plastic base looked like they were cut with a Xacto knife probable a last minute adjustment to fit the top case of the Mini until they recast the plastic part but, as long as it fits and it's not visible.
It does look a little crude though.

Anyways, I hope this helps and enjoy.

Markus 8^)

Cool thanks for the quick write up. I'm going to get the aftermarket 1gig ram chip. And do the install myself. Sounds simple. I'm going to wait though until after they install the other stuff I want.

You don't happen to have photos of this would you?
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Forum Links
Forum Rules