Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Simple question about Macbook Pro order.

Simple question about Macbook Pro order.
clbell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2006, 04:48 PM

I am considering ordering my first ever Apple computer! OK, it's beyond considering at this point as I am currently lusting for a MacBook Pro. If I put my name on the list for a MBP, will my credit card be charged immediately or when the MacBook is shipped?

christ
Professional Poster
Jan 22, 2006, 04:56 PM

When it ships.
Chris. T.

"... in 6 months if WMD are found, I hope all clear-thinking people who opposed the war will say "You're right, we were wrong -- good job". Similarly, if after 6 months no WMD are found, people who supported the war should say the same thing -- and move to impeach Mr. Bush." - moki, 04/16/03

NetJunkie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2006, 11:11 PM

No. They charge when you order. I ordered my MacBook last week and they've already charged my card.

aneurysm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2006, 11:16 PM

hi, my first post!

no they don't actually charge, that is just a check to see if you have the credit on that card, or in the case of a debit/check card- to see if you have enough funds. the check will disappear after 4 or 5 days and reappear when shipped.

-aneurysm

clbell  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2006, 11:19 PM

Thanks for the clarification aneurysm. Glad to know this. I would assume the same to hold if I get a student ADC subscription and purchase through the ADC store?

aneurysm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2006, 11:31 PM

yes[how much discount does the dev center give you? just curious], it's also interesting to note, most companies only charge $1us to check credit or funds, i notice apple always checks by charging the full amount; strange indeed.

-aneursym

clbell  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2006, 06:47 AM

It's a $400 savings before you add on extras for the 1.83GHz Macbook Pro.

jwoods
Forum Regular
Jan 23, 2006, 09:18 AM

Legally, I don't think they can charge you until it has shipped. As NetJunkie stated, they will put a priliminary "check" on your CC or Debit card to make sure everythng is good to go. Think of it as a "pending" charge.

christ
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2006, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by NetJunkie
No. They charge when you order. I ordered my MacBook last week and they've already charged my card.
No. When it ships.
Chris. T.

"... in 6 months if WMD are found, I hope all clear-thinking people who opposed the war will say "You're right, we were wrong -- good job". Similarly, if after 6 months no WMD are found, people who supported the war should say the same thing -- and move to impeach Mr. Bush." - moki, 04/16/03

reybart
Forum Regular
Jan 24, 2006, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by christ
No. When it ships.
Yes! you are now charged but the actual amount will not show on your cc until it is shipped. You will only see that a big amount is missing on your credit limit.

Peabo
Senior User
Jan 24, 2006, 10:40 AM

The amount was charged to my card the day I ordered. It's on my statement too.
LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 24, 2006, 02:17 PM

That's illegal in the UK as far as I know. I'd call your card company and check that.

NetJunkie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2006, 10:49 PM

THEY ARE CORRECT. The charge on my card is now gone so Apple was just doing an authorization check.

clbell  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2006, 08:57 AM

Well, I put in my order. I ordered it with a 7200 RPM drive. The estimated ship date for my MacBook is February 24.

I wonder how much time the hard drive change added to the ship date?
( Last edited by clbell; Jan 25, 2006 at 10:13 AM. )

schalliol
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2006, 04:02 AM

That probably made no difference to the ship time. I think everyone in the US that ordered relatively quickly has a ship date of the 15th, so if you just now got yours in, that's pretty quick given the demand. They don't automatically put those 100GB/5400's in there, except perhaps for stock in various retail outlets, so unless the part you're upgrading to is low in supply it shouldn't affect anything at all.
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

ender78
Jan 27, 2006, 05:03 AM

I have a feeling that the 7200RPM drive is a VERY popular upgrade. Most people I have seen
talk about buting the Macbook, state thay they upgraded to the 7200RPM drive.

I have also upgraded to the 7200PRM drive. I ordered less than one hour after the keynote and my shipping date is Feb 15th in Canada.

Forum Links
Forum Rules