Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > The MacBook Whine!!

The MacBook Whine!!
bloodline
Forum Regular
Feb 24, 2006, 05:50 PM

It seems apple have used a cheap DC-DC board in the new MacBook Pro causing the typical "cheap laptop" whine that some of us are all too familiar with, when the laptop is under no (or low power) load!

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....74397&tstart=0

Very embarrassing, I hope the Rev B machines fix this issue.

click http://gmh-sol.home.comcast.net/macbook_whine.au if you haven't heard a DC-DC whine before!

gudrummer
Feb 24, 2006, 05:53 PM

Just like my Powermac....and it's the third revision...
MacBook Pro 2.4 17 HD
ACD 23

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Feb 24, 2006, 06:17 PM

I like wine too.

Rumz
Forum Regular
Feb 24, 2006, 07:21 PM

Who says this is a universal problem with all MacBooks?

Sijmen
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 24, 2006, 07:43 PM

I have that same sound coming out of my PB since this morning! I have no idea where it comes from and how to fix it. It goes through my head and it's freakin' irritating.

It's not the harddrive?

EDIT: Mmm, it does stop when I start some extra apps....weird, never had it before.
Apple Powerbook 17" 1,67 GHz, 2 gig RAM, 100 gig HDD, ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128MB, Superdrive 8X

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 24, 2006, 07:54 PM

Hrm, Quanta must be losing their edge... or did Apple switch to another ODM? Last I heard Asus was going to do the non-pro laptops and Quanta had the pro laptops.

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2006, 08:15 AM

Same as my TiBook and it's the last revision.

bloodline  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2006, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by mduell
Hrm, Quanta must be losing their edge... or did Apple switch to another ODM? Last I heard Asus was going to do the non-pro laptops and Quanta had the pro laptops.
I suspect that Quanta (or whoever the OEM are) didn't have time to source a better component... or perhaps their original DC-DC supplier failed to deliver and they had to use a cheaper board, that would account for the delay.

It does seem a terrible shame as I use my Apple laptops for Music work and anything more than the gentle fan noise of my current PowerBooks is totally unacceptable!

StiZeven
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 25, 2006, 12:23 PM

I wouldn't put blame (just yet) on any internal part that might be used by specific ODMs. Most notebooks that I've had with this faint 'whine' comes from the inverter on the display panel. Since Apple (like all others) use different panels from different manufacturers, some may have the whine where others won't. This is just speaking from *my* past experiences with this type of noise/issue - so I guess you can draw your own conclusions.

inkhead
Senior User
Feb 25, 2006, 01:19 PM

yeah the whine is industry standard. It's with every laptop, it's not really that big of a deal. It just happens.

bloodline  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2006, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by inkhead
yeah the whine is industry standard. It's with every laptop, it's not really that big of a deal. It just happens.
It is a big deal when we know that apple can have machines made which don't exhibit this noise, plus the fact that we are paying a premium for an apple laptop, and that I possess apple laptops which don't suffer from this noise.

I do expect apple to fix this problem.

On another note, the display inverter whine is slightly different... higher pitched and constant... annoying but often quiet enough to be bearable... this DC-DC noise often gets transmitted through the audio subsystem and picked up by any poorly shielded equipment :-(

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 27, 2006, 11:19 AM

The only sound I hear from my iBook 466 is the hum of the drive when it's spinning. If it spins down, my iBook is 100% silent. I don't see why less should be expected of any new laptop.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

moodymonster
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2006, 11:29 AM

mine makes noises when doing screen stuff. If I grab a window and chuck it about it makes a faint hiss. It does have various noises coming from it, but you have to really listen, to the point of putting your head onto the keyboard. That's not my usual mode of operating so it's not a problem for me. (PB 17" 2003)

SpinCycle
Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2006, 11:45 AM

it doesnt seem that anyone with a 1.83GHz is experiencing the whine noise.. can anyone here confirm that?

buddy1065
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 27, 2006, 03:26 PM

Maybe it is too high pitched for people over 18 years old to hear, like that audio curfew thing that just came out for teen agers.

rtamesis
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 27, 2006, 06:00 PM

Then the solution to the whine is to get an iPod and crank up the volume to eventually decrease your sensitivity to hear the MBP whine.

I did check the MBP that my local CompUSA had. I definitely could not hear a whine, but then again, I am a heavy iPod user.

dndog
Feb 27, 2006, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by SpinCycle
it doesnt seem that anyone with a 1.83GHz is experiencing the whine noise.. can anyone here confirm that?
Not true. I got my 1.83 MBP today and yep, its a whiner. Honestly though, as soon as photobooth runs this thing is ultra quiet.

I'm sure its a problem, but considering that photo booth works as a temporary solution, I'm sure Apple will figure out a software update patch.
(sold)12" 1.33ghz iBook G4 512mb Ram [my first osx mac, way too slow]
(sold)15" 1.67ghz 1gig Ram Powerbook [I need more power a.k.a. Macbook]
15" 1.83ghz 1gig Ram MacBook Pro

dndog
Feb 27, 2006, 08:01 PM

Holy cow! At certain times (such as when I'm really pushing the processor), this thing won't shut up! Its driving me crazy.

Apple better get a fix to this whining problem soon...

timlockridge
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2006, 11:45 PM

Someone on the Apple discussion boards posted this work-around: Download the mirror widget from Apple's site, install it, and then remove it from the Dashboard. This will allegedly get rid of the whine until you reboot again. I've had success with it.

Ramza
Feb 28, 2006, 12:41 AM

So this is probably a software problem?
I WANT CHICKEN I WANT
LIVER MEOW MIX MEOW MIX
PLZ DELIVER

dndog
Feb 28, 2006, 01:42 AM

I think this is a problem directly related to the built in iSight.

There is a second whining issue, which is related to the screen, which others have complained about also.

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 28, 2006, 02:09 AM

Whining users, whining 'puters...it's a match made in heaven.

Sorry, couldn't resist....
MacBook Pro 15" -- 2.2Ghz, 4GB, 200GB 7200rpm
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2006, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by Ramza
So this is probably a software problem?
No, it's a hardware problem.
Any software workaround is just disallowing the hardware to fall into a state where the problem occurs; this probably also has the effect of reducing your battery life.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2006, 04:31 AM

WHy don't you whiners audio record the sound so we can hear what it sounds like? Use the built-in mic.

bloodline  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 1, 2006, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by macintologist
WHy don't you whiners audio record the sound so we can hear what it sounds like? Use the built-in mic.
If you read my first post at the top of the thread you will see that I have included a link to a recoding of the sound.

moodymonster
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2006, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by bloodline
If you read my first post at the top of the thread you will see that I have included a link to a recoding of the sound.
I cna hear that and I'm over 18, so I don't think it's an age thing

bernt
Forum Regular
Mar 1, 2006, 10:20 AM

I have had this issue on my 2.5 years old PowerBook 1.25 since it was brand new. The whine appear when setting processor speed to highest, and when copying files over LAN. The first problem is solved by setting the processor to automatic, haven't found a solution to the latter. In other words, the MBP is not the first Apple laptop with this issue.
PowerBook 15" 1.25G/1G/80G | iMac G5 17" 1.6G/1.5G/300G | MacBook Pro 15" CD2.0G/1.5G/120G | MacBook C2D 2.2G/4G/160G

OreoCookie
Mar 1, 2006, 10:32 AM

I thought I was the only person hearing these noises on laptops
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

mactopsuit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2006, 10:50 AM

The G4 powerbooks and G3 ibooks whine once in a while..complaining of high usage prolly.
[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]Celestine Collins, Realising Doodles | MacTopsuit | http://www.celestinecollins.com/[/FONT]

cambro
Senior User
Mar 1, 2006, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Troll
Same as my TiBook and it's the last revision.
Yup, my 1 Ghz 2002 TiBook makes all sorts of whining noises.

When it sleeps on battery, it whines very noticeably.
When I drag a window around the screen, it whine/purrs noticeably.
Even when a cursor is blinking, or MacNN smilies are moving, it whines noticeably.

Always assumed the graphics stuff was some audible aspect of the graphics card.
Always assumed the whine during sleep off battery was related to processor power down.

Is it a problem...hardly...kinda like it actually!

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2006, 03:51 PM

I'm waiting for Rev B. I hope Apple changes that.

My 1.67 PowerBook doesn't have any noticeable annoying sounds yet, except for the DVD player. It'll chirp when I put in a DVD or CD.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2006, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
The only sound I hear from my iBook 466 is the hum of the drive when it's spinning. If it spins down, my iBook is 100% silent. I don't see why less should be expected of any new laptop.
My iBook G4 1.33 GHz is absolutely silent apart from when the HD is spinning, a CD/DVD or the fan goes on.

100% silence. I've never owned a PowerBook or MacBook Pro so I have to say I was surprised to hear the sound sampled above. No, actually I seem to recall that on my mother's 12" 1GHz PB it makes some similar noises as in the sample when scrolling.

What happened Apple? 12" PB makes noises but a 12" iBook not and they are very very similarly configured..

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

Morn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2006, 12:03 PM

This could be fixed in software. Just reducing the power saving features while the macbook is running on power supply power. When they aren't really needed anyway. I'm sure apple and us would all prefer a software solution.

riotge@r
Forum Regular
Mar 8, 2006, 07:15 PM

I've gone through 3 MBPs and I've finally gotten one without the whine or a huge gap when the lid is closed. *sigh*

riotge@r
Forum Regular
Mar 8, 2006, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon
I'm waiting for Rev B. I hope Apple changes that.

My 1.67 PowerBook doesn't have any noticeable annoying sounds yet, except for the DVD player. It'll chirp when I put in a DVD or CD.
Just because you get a Rev B doesn't mean you won't be affected. Rev B PowerMacs suffered from chirps and the last gen PowerBook had new problems.

inkhead
Senior User
Mar 8, 2006, 07:38 PM

seriously it's BARELY noticable, and it's standard on ALL PC laptops everywhere. get used to it it's not a big deal. Anyone doing real audio wouldn't record with a mic next to a computer that picked it up anyway.

dec
Mar 8, 2006, 08:24 PM

I have it too 2.0ghz standard model. The mirror widget trick seems to have sorted it for me alright.

aristobrat
Forum Regular
Mar 8, 2006, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by riotge@r
Just because you get a Rev B doesn't mean you won't be affected. Rev B PowerMacs suffered from chirps and the last gen PowerBook had new problems.
I agree with that. Every new rev is Rev A in some way or the other.

Last rev of the PowerBooks was technically, what .. Rev E? The new part in Rev E was the screen. And guess which piece of equipment gave the most problems? The screen.

I'm just worried that the next rev of MacBook Pro might go thru a radical redesign (so it doesn't look like a PowerBook). Then it'll technically be a Rev B, but the casing would be Rev A. Argh.

photoeditor
Forum Regular
Mar 8, 2006, 11:11 PM

If Apple changes anything about the case for revision B, I would think it would be simply changing the material. I would hope they would at least consider magnesium at some point; I think it is tougher, and as anyone who has used a pro-level Nikon or Canon magnesium camera body in cold weather without gloves will know, it is pretty darned conductive of heat too.

I don't think Rev A. hardware is fundamentally defective, as the Core Duo iMac demonstrates -- no problems at all once they got their silly VRAM software bug ironed out. But as we've seen on multiple occasions over the past five years Apple gets into trouble with early revisions when they push the bleeding edge on case design (the Core Duo iMac, of course, is an existing case design, while the MacBook is a new design, despite appearances, that makes the interior of the case very much more cramped by shaving a tenth of an inch off the base).

With the MacBook, we evidently have some trouble with the timing on the processor that makes it "whine"; we presumably have interference from the magnetic power connector; and we have a needlessly crappy inverter board for the display. Not to mention this bizarre hardware bug that seems to come up under overheating, so some kind of bug with the fan control too. But no software bugs to speak of . . . . I guess we know what Apple paid more attention to in testing.

Elixir
Mar 9, 2006, 02:50 AM

i'm having another problem with my macbook. it comes and goes...

its not a whine, it doesn't sound like the sound clip.

it sounds like the harddrive rewinding , almost like a mechanical "moo" sound.

anyone know what this is? should this be a cause for concern?

it comes and goes, but once it is here its obnoxioius as hell.

is this a big problem waiting to happen?

riotge@r
Forum Regular
Mar 9, 2006, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by inkhead
seriously it's BARELY noticable, and it's standard on ALL PC laptops everywhere. get used to it it's not a big deal. Anyone doing real audio wouldn't record with a mic next to a computer that picked it up anyway.
The problem people are complaining about is not BARELY noticable. There are two types of "whine". The normal one and the loud one. I could hear the loud one in class even as my instructor was lecturing. It was embarrassing as people kept looking at my MBP in annoyance.

bloodline  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 9, 2006, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by photoeditor
If Apple changes anything about the case for revision B, I would think it would be simply changing the material. I would hope they would at least consider magnesium at some point; I think it is tougher, and as anyone who has used a pro-level Nikon or Canon magnesium camera body in cold weather without gloves will know, it is pretty darned conductive of heat too.
Magnesium is not a good material for cases... it's highly reactive... remember your chemistry?

Actually the PowerBook and MacBook are made from an Aluminium/Magnesium alloy.
( Last edited by bloodline; Mar 9, 2006 at 08:28 AM. )

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2006, 07:26 AM

click http://gmh-sol.home.comcast.net/macbook_whine.au if you haven't heard a DC-DC whine before!
FWIW, I'm hearing a very similar sound on my 2004 1.5GHz 15" Powerbook.

dec
Mar 9, 2006, 08:32 AM

im noticing on mine that the whine gets a tad louder with the magsafe adapter plugged in. I hear the noise on battery too but it doesnt seem as loud. maybe more power getting to it causes the higher noise.

bloodline  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 9, 2006, 08:36 AM

Maybe you guys could try this program on your MacBook Pros:

http://www.bresink.de/osx/SystemLoad.html

It should allow you to play a scale on your DC-DC boards... if I run it on my Powerbook, I can hear the scale in the charger, but not from the battery when unplugged.

photoeditor
Forum Regular
Mar 9, 2006, 10:04 AM

Magnesium is not a good material for cases... it's highly reactive... remember your chemistry?

Actually the PowerBook and MacBook are made from an Aluminium/Magnesium alloy.
Yes, I was wondering about that. I wonder what Nikon and Canon alloy theirs with -- but I don't think it is aluminum -- where the paint chips off it is dark and it does not dent easily.

Barefoot Matt
Forum Regular
Mar 9, 2006, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by photoeditor
Yes, I was wondering about that. I wonder what Nikon and Canon alloy theirs with -- but I don't think it is aluminum -- where the paint chips off it is dark and it does not dent easily.
Hard-anodized aluminum fits that description. I have some pans made out of the stuff. It's quite dark, and I'm not sure I could dent it if I wanted to.

hakstooy
Forum Regular
Mar 9, 2006, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Elixir

is this a big problem waiting to happen?

I have that too. Occasionally it is rather noticable.

JoshFofer
Mar 9, 2006, 03:16 PM

On a 100 GB (7200 RPM) MacBook Pro, I had a slight whine.

Originally Posted by Elixir

Now on a 120 GB (5400 RPM) MacBook Pro, I have this instead. Sounds like the hard drive (or fan?) is "revving up" weakly... annoying.

Elixir
Mar 9, 2006, 07:55 PM

it might not be the harddrive. i'm thinking it might be the super drive

what do you think?

Forum Links
Forum Rules