Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook Screen: color issues

Macbook Screen: color issues
mathew_m
Senior User
Jun 9, 2006, 02:27 PM

I was pretty enamored with the screen at first. However after a couple of days I've noticed that the viewing angle of it mostly sucks. Not only is it difficult to see off axis but it also has severe color shifts as well! I have the magenta tint that comes with the basic color lcd profile. My attempts at calibration were not good. In the past I had good success with Apple's calibration but with the Macbook it's very difficult. Anyway I downloaded some other user profiles and I tend to like a couple....however for example while one particular profile looks pretty accurate (G. Kuo's) until I angle the screen 90 degrees vertically (looking upward) then it goes green!

I was just wanting hear from others who have similiar issues. I don't plan on returning the Macbook because of this. I realize that it's a consumer machine which I only paid $999 for so I don't expect perfection. However I would be upset if I had spent $2K on a MBP and had similiar issues.

spittingangels
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2006, 05:07 PM

I'm just curious, but even my old PowerBook 1400cs didn't do that on it's screen. Are you sure your screen doesn't have an issue?

Just doesn't sound right.

mathew_m  (op)
Senior User
Jun 9, 2006, 05:13 PM

I'll check the other Macbooks next time I go to the Apple store.

I kind of doubt that it's a defect they'll accept a return on however. The screen is pretty nice otherwise when viewed straight on. I just thik laptop screens tend to be rather poor for off axis viewing.

Skypat
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 9, 2006, 05:48 PM

Mathew, maybe you should have a look at this thread. There a few color profiles you can download. Maybe you can try them and see if it changes your problem ;-)

Link = http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=296360
( Last edited by Skypat; Jun 9, 2006 at 05:59 PM. )
S k y p a t

tillin
Jun 9, 2006, 05:53 PM

i hate to say it. but the ONLY way to truly get the right color is to buy an external calibrator.
i consider mine an investment, as i am a photographer, and i NEED color accuracy.

if you happen to live in the southern california area ( either around Santa Ana, or Murrieta ) i would be happy to calibrate your display for you.

Star-Fire
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 9, 2006, 06:42 PM

The screen vary a lot, I've had 4 Macbooks and 2 were VERY pink and 2 were pretty good. I also used an external calibrator (borrowed from work) and that helped also.
MacBook Pro 2.5 with 4 GB Ram, 250 GB 5400RPM, iMac 20" Intel Dual Core 2.0 with 2 GB Ram
http://star-fire.deviantart.com/gallery/

mathew_m  (op)
Senior User
Jun 9, 2006, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by AGoglanian
if you happen to live in the southern california area ( either around Santa Ana, or Murrieta ) i would be happy to calibrate your display for you.

I wish

mathew_m  (op)
Senior User
Jun 9, 2006, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Star-Fire
The screen vary a lot, I've had 4 Macbooks and 2 were VERY pink and 2 were pretty good.
Wow, I only knew of the two. Were you able to exchange them just because of the screen or were there other issues?

I purchased from Amazon so I highly doubt I can exchange for a pinkish screen. It honestly doesn't bother me much except that I was able to get my old TiBook's screen pretty well calibrated with just using Apple's calibrator. I personally wouldn't use any laptop screen for professional color correction. None that I have seen have even brightness or grey scale across the screen.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2006, 02:54 AM

My MB's screen has good colors, but its viewing angle is definitely a lot smaller than on my MBP.

Tarcat
Forum Regular
Jun 11, 2006, 09:50 AM

I love the new screen. The viewing angle might be a bit worse than my old iBook but since i only look at it straight on this isn't a problem. I love the brightness and crispness of the screen. Really nice on text and photos and very little of the glare I was worried about before buying it. Apple has hit a home run with the screen.

Star-Fire
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 11, 2006, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by mathew_m
Wow, I only knew of the two. Were you able to exchange them just because of the screen or were there other issues?

I purchased from Amazon so I highly doubt I can exchange for a pinkish screen. It honestly doesn't bother me much except that I was able to get my old TiBook's screen pretty well calibrated with just using Apple's calibrator. I personally wouldn't use any laptop screen for professional color correction. None that I have seen have even brightness or grey scale across the screen.

No 1. White 2.0, Random shutdowns, would almost not even start most of the time. (Very Pink)
No 2. Blackbook, Ran fine but hot, and Superdrive was missaligned, disks would have to be shoved all the way in. (Best screen in the bunch)
No 3. Blackbook, Only had it for 15 mins, was swap for ^ that one and had a scratch on trackpad right out of the box. (Pink!)
No 4. Blackbook (aka Monolith) So far so good, tad tosty at time, but not bad, I can use it on my bare legs. (Pretty good tiny bit pink but fixable)
MacBook Pro 2.5 with 4 GB Ram, 250 GB 5400RPM, iMac 20" Intel Dual Core 2.0 with 2 GB Ram

photoeditor
Forum Regular
Jun 11, 2006, 10:55 AM

I'm just about to get my replacement MacBook (the first one had an apparently used or at least damaged part for the outer shell behind the display.) I hope this pink thing isn't too common . . . . I certainly haven't seen it on any of the store samples.

I think the MacBook viewing angle may be at least as good as the 15 MBP if not better, though.

Best display out there for my taste is the 17 inch MBP. I would probably order the 15 MBP glossy but the 17 MBP display is nice as it is. I'd rank it just a little higher for text legibility than the MacBook, with the 15 MBP matte in last place.

Star-Fire
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 11, 2006, 11:05 AM

Yeah I have to agree, my MBP had a pretty lack luster viewing angle. I'm keeping the mac book till I find a Core2 Duo in the MBPs.

IMHO, it's not the screen but the anti-glare coating on the glossy screen that is causing the pink, almost like a polarizing effect.

Heavy
Forum Regular
Jun 11, 2006, 11:29 AM

I love my blackbook's screen. So sharp and vivid. But the angle does suck so you need to look straight on. I recently compared a bunch of Macs and the PB's didn't look as sharp to me but had wider viewing angle. The ibooks were very dim of course. I think the MBP's glossy was killer too but more straight on.

Seems the vivid-ness is improved while the angle is diminished on the new intel books.

mathew_m  (op)
Senior User
Jun 11, 2006, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Star-Fire
IMHO, it's not the screen but the anti-glare coating on the glossy screen that is causing the pink, almost like a polarizing effect.
It also might be what is causing the diminished viewing angle.

Macbreak had the editors from MacWorld on reviewing the Macbook. What's funny is that they mentioned the reason Apple hadn't used glossy displays in the past was because of color shifts, namely a purpleish hue. Seems the technology still needs some work.

Also:

Am I the only one who finds calibrating the Macbook's screen more difficult than on any other Macs? In expert mode I find the right slider to be extremely touchy. As soon as I click on it the color goes wonky. On my G5 or even Tibook it's very easy to use.

Macola
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2006, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by mathew_m
It also might be what is causing the diminished viewing angle.
Am I the only one who finds calibrating the Macbook's screen more difficult than on any other Macs? In expert mode I find the right slider to be extremely touchy. As soon as I click on it the color goes wonky. On my G5 or even Tibook it's very easy to use.
I noticed that too, compared to my PowerBook it seems a lot more sensitive.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

Forum Links
Forum Rules