Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > European buying MacBook in USA

European buying MacBook in USA
julien_djerzinski
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 6, 2006, 12:40 PM

Hiya,
I'm gonna be in the US soon, and am thinking about buying a MacBook there to save on the price and exchange rate differential. (I live in the UK so the difference would be considerable.)
However, I have a question which I am hoping someone could help me with (I've looked online but so far can't find answers, and perhaps I am not a great researcher, anyway...):
Is a MacBook purchased in the US compatible with European digital video cameras? I know that you can play PAL DVDs on a Mac bought in the US, and that it becomes PAL default after five times right?, but what I am not sure about is whether I can edit my own digital footage from a European digital camcorder on a US Mac?
I would be very greatful for any help, including pointing in right direction of sites with answers.
Thanks very much,
JD

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2006, 12:47 PM

The hardware and software of European and US MacBooks are identical.

The only difference is the keyboard (if you need a localized keyboard, add another €120 or so to the price of purchase to get the US keyboard replaced at a tech center when you get home), and the packaging/printed documentation.

julien_djerzinski  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 6, 2006, 01:14 PM

Hi analogika, thanks for your kwik reply. SO - am I right to think that there is then absolutely no reason why not to enjoy the dollar discount of buying a MacBook in the US and bringing it back to the UK?
Thanks for your help,
JD

Dr.Michael
Aug 6, 2006, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by julien_djerzinski
Hiya,
I'm gonna be in the US soon, and am thinking about buying a MacBook there to save on the price and exchange rate differential. (I live in the UK so the difference would be considerable.)
However, I have a question which I am hoping someone could help me with (I've looked online but so far can't find answers, and perhaps I am not a great researcher, anyway...):
Is a MacBook purchased in the US compatible with European digital video cameras? I know that you can play PAL DVDs on a Mac bought in the US, and that it becomes PAL default after five times right?, but what I am not sure about is whether I can edit my own digital footage from a European digital camcorder on a US Mac?
I would be very greatful for any help, including pointing in right direction of sites with answers.
Thanks very much,
JD
I think the only difference will be the wall plug. Check the prices for the part and check, if you have to buy a whole new power adapter or a travel kit to get the plug. Travel kit is only 29 pounds.
( Last edited by Dr.Michael; Aug 6, 2006 at 02:02 PM. )

Dork.
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2006, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Dr.Michael
I think the only difference will be the wall plug. Check the prices for the part and check, if you have to buy a whole new power adapter or a travel kit to get the plug. Travel kit is only 29 pounds.
All you need to buy is the plug, not the entire power supply. Mac portables have used worldwide power adapters for years now, so you don't need to buy a separate UK power supply.

You might even be able to buy just the UK "duck foot" plug from somewhere un the UK that specializes in Mac parts, for less than the price of the full travel kit (which will include all the other countries' plugs).

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2006, 02:31 PM

That duck head adaptor will probably run you about 10� on its own.

Or, you can use a 1-� two-prong electric shaver cable from a local hardware store.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2006, 04:51 PM

The UK prices are even higher than the € here in Spain, amazing. If I ever want a MacBook I could fly to the USA and get one with the spanish keyboard without additional fee, cool huh?

Are different enough an UK keyboard from the USA counterpart as to get it replaced?

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2006, 06:15 PM

Windows layouts, but you'll get the idea...

UK:

US:

Edit: Never mind - pics wont hotlink (actually, I think they're .svg files, hmmm).
Here's the Wiki link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_layout#UK

Dork.
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2006, 06:22 PM

The individual key-caps are also very easy to take off and put back on, and if there are only a few key caps that are different, you might be able to just buy the key caps that are different on the UK keyboard and swap them. Then, just change the keyboard language setting in the Internationaliztion Control Panel to British English/UK (forget exactly what it's called), and then you probably won't be able to tell the difference between your laptop and one bought in the UK!

Forum Links
Forum Rules