Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Finally, my work computer is once again my iBook Clamshell!

Finally, my work computer is once again my iBook Clamshell!
ChasingApple
Senior User
Feb 6, 2007, 07:15 PM

Well it was rough there for awhile, but for work I had to get a PC laptop a few months back. I have since figured out all the apps I would need and done all my testing but starting today my old Clamshell iBook is back in service as my work computer, lol. Unfortunately I still have to use Vista at work and I hate it oh so much, what a pile of steaming crap. But the documents and files I use on a daily basis are now all transfered to my mac and work well. Office compatibility was the last thing I needed to get running, especially for the new Excel file standard, but NeoOffice is up to the task of these files, OpenOffice was not and using X11 on this Clamshell was a pain anyway.

Getting my Mac to run all the files I need for work was important because I have a few bills creeping on me quickly and I needed to sell off the PC laptop quick to take care of them, and it is now for sale here in our FOR SALE section, it is an Alienware notebook and is 100% in perfect shape. If your interested in getting it for a really good price head on over to here...

http://forums.macnn.com/59/marketpla...gaming-laptop/

Anyway, sorry I have been gone for a bit but work has had me tired as hell most nights and since I was using a PC more then my Mac I didnt think posting about it would be interesting to anyone, but now that I am once again using a 7 year old iBook to STILL do my every day work I thought that might interest a few of you, hehe. One day I will get myself a modern Macbook but until then my little Indigo is getting the job done.

Cheers.
iMac G4 / Macbook

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 7, 2007, 03:05 AM

a 7 year old clamshell to do work with? these things weren't intended to be used for work when they were new. anyway, welcome back patrick. hope you and elli are doing well.

unintended uses? i just bought (should receive next week) a g3 600 combo ibook to use at work. we'll try to stay in os9. primary uses will be appleworks and toast titanium. secondary uses will be internet, itunes, and occasionally macwise. maybe i should've opted for a pismo but what the hell. always wanted a small white laptop.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

ChasingApple  (op)
Senior User
Feb 7, 2007, 03:40 AM

Well... you see... I work... well lets just I work somewhere where I have to deal with PC's constantly, no choice in the matter. I am almost afraid to divulge where I work for fear of getting lynched here, but the real meat of the matter is getting a Mac to be my work computer was a nice challenge.

I hope I can sell off the Alienware and the Desktop PC though, then I will be able to get these 2 bills payed off that are nagging me every month. Then maybe I can get caught up and open an Apple account and buy myself a new Macbook in the future.

Anyway Gooser, long time no hear!
iMac G4 / Macbook

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 7, 2007, 03:52 AM

no need to worry. i'm a gooser not a lyncher.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

ChasingApple  (op)
Senior User
Feb 7, 2007, 06:12 AM

Well, the Alienware sold, good news for me as I can get those bills to go away now. Now if I can get my Pentium 4 Desktop PC sold for around $300 I should be good!

As for the Clamshell, I am running OS X Panther on it for the best speed and to maximize HD space (10GB Drive). Office is installed and I cannot wait for the looks I'm GOING to get when I show up at work tomorrow! You see, I work for a Computer company and we DO NOT sell or have anything to do with Apple, so bringing in a Mac to work is bound to get some looks, lol.
iMac G4 / Macbook

uicandrew
Senior User
Feb 7, 2007, 12:52 PM

do you carry around your clamshell by holding its handle, or do you still use an external case? just curious.

i almost bought a clamshell just for posterity's sake, but i decided it was better to save up money for a macbook. when you get the macbook, you'll be blown away.
Mac User since Summer 2005 (started with G4 mini bought from macnn forums!)

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 7, 2007, 03:46 PM

unless i plan on throwing it in the trunk of the car for overnight trips i tote it by its handle. i only carry it from house to house about once a month anyway.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

ChasingApple  (op)
Senior User
Feb 7, 2007, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by uicandrew View Post
do you carry around your clamshell by holding its handle, or do you still use an external case? just curious.

i almost bought a clamshell just for posterity's sake, but i decided it was better to save up money for a macbook. when you get the macbook, you'll be blown away.
I carry it to and from work using a regular laptop case. When I'm at work I use the handle to tote it around. The handle is super strong and handy as hell! My wife already has a 2Ghz Macbook and I love it, so as soon as I can get things straightened out here I will probably buy myself the Blackbook.
iMac G4 / Macbook

ballistik
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 8, 2007, 12:25 AM

I have a macbook pro and love it... very fast. I also use my clamshell 366mhz indigo (firewire) for writing at home and at internet cafes. it's nice to be able to have one just to write with and listen to music on, etc, and another one with 100 gigs to *hold* all my music, photos, and to do modern stuff with. My clamshell is used just solely for writing and putzing around in OS 9, and I love it. (of course, i putz around on my other 5 macs, too, but the clamshell gets more use than the other 4, i'm on the mbp constantly. lol.) you'll LOVE the macbook from what i hear. hell, one of the only reasons i got the mbp (upgraded from my maxed out ibook G4 1.33 ghz) was for the luminescent keyboard and huge hard drive and intel chip. It's a nice laptop!!

-b-
iBook Clamshell G3 Indigo 366mhz, MacBook 15", iPod Shuffle, iPod 60GB, iPod 40GB, Quadra 660AV, Mac Classic, Mac Classic II, iMac 500mhz Indigo, iMac Bondi Blue Original

ChasingApple  (op)
Senior User
Feb 8, 2007, 04:25 AM

Well I took the Clamshell in to work today and all my co-workers oogled over it for hours. Not one of them could leave it be. I must say watching thier surprise at a 7 year old system doing everything they do now on modern systems with the most recent OS from Apple startled them. They asked me the speed of the system and when I told them 366Mhz G3 they just kinda stared at me, waiting for a punchline. Here my Clamshell was doing all the modern stuff Vista is "TRYING" to do and it's just DOING THEM. They asked me if I had to upgrade for all that stuff to work and I said.. NOPE!

Neadless to say I was offered money on the spot for it and decided to take it and bring one more person over to the Macintosh! She is a PC tech and has only liked PC's til today, well this little guy changed her mind and she wants in. So right now I am getting it all ready for her and tomorrow we will have another Mac girl joining us. I will eventually get down to only having my iMac G4 again and when the bill thing is situated I will get myself one of the new Macbooks.

2 Computers down, 1 to go!
iMac G4 / Macbook

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 8, 2007, 09:13 AM

1. nice story, must have been a fun day.
2. what are you going to use at work til you get your macbook?
3. not sure i understand, are you going to get rid of your g4?
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

ChasingApple  (op)
Senior User
Feb 9, 2007, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by gooser View Post
1. nice story, must have been a fun day.
2. what are you going to use at work til you get your macbook?
3. not sure i understand, are you going to get rid of your g4?
I am not using a thing for work at the moment, I need to address that. Bills got paid and caught up so I might go ahead and head to the Apple store today and get a new shiny Macbook!

My G4 iMac is going nowhere forever, lol.
iMac G4 / Macbook

Forum Links
Forum Rules