Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > formatting HDD, will i lose apps?

formatting HDD, will i lose apps?
Mac_X
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2006, 10:45 AM

Due to lag and similar things, i will soon be formatting my eMac 1.42 Ghz (latest). However, i only received a Mac OS X Tiger dvd with the computer. So, if i were to delete everything on the computer and re-installed Tiger, would i no longer have iLife, and the other games pre-installed on my eMac (Nanosaur, Marble Blast) or iWork 30-day trial ? *

This wouldnt be such a big problem since i think my cousin has an iLife '05 dvd, and i only used those games when i first got the computer. But its still makes me reconsider.

* im guessing the iApps like Adress Book, Preview, Safari, iCal are all integrated with OS X, but iLife made me think twice , since its actually sold seperatly.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2006, 10:52 AM

You received a system restore disk with your computer that contains bundled apps in the bundled apps installer package thereon.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 10, 2006, 10:53 AM

When you reformat, any app that doesn't automatically install with the OS WILL be lost.

Why not just archive and install? That reinstalls the whole OS but doesn't affect anything else. OS X is marvelous that way; the OS doesn't have all sorts of snakey tendrils from the apps in it and vice versa, which is very different from Windows.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Mac_X  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2006, 04:02 PM

Ah ok, but my system seems to be bugged in general... i mean when i first got it it felt so fast, now it can lag with 3 apps open, i was advised to reformat.

Does iLife come with OS X Tiger?

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Why not just archive and install? That reinstalls the whole OS but doesn't affect anything else. OS X is marvelous that way; the OS doesn't have all sorts of snakey tendrils from the apps in it and vice versa, which is very different from Windows.
Can you explain that a bit better please.... i dont follow what you mean...
i dont think OS X is the problem, i think its the fact tht i have 40 GB free (out of 74.5). Or that from all the files i've downloaded/made etc… they have "unordered" my HDD.
im getting an external HD to store all my data anyway.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2006, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Mac_X View Post
Does iLife come with OS X Tiger?
No, it doesn't, but it comes bundled with new Macs.

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2006, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mac_X View Post
i dont think OS X is the problem, i think its the fact tht i have 40 GB free (out of 74.5). Or that from all the files i've downloaded/made etc… they have "unordered" my HDD.
You mean fragmented? Could be, but I don't think fragmentation would slow things down THAT much. And 40GB free is well more than enough for OS X, why do you think that's a problem?

A format+install couldn't hurt though, if you are willing to spend the time and effort. As others said, use the restore discs that came with your Mac to make it like it was when you first got it. Anything that you've put on it since then that you want to keep you should backup.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2006, 05:54 PM

I'd try an archive and install first.
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

Forum Links
Forum Rules