Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Do I NEED a receiver...

Do I NEED a receiver...
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2007, 01:53 PM

This is mostly an A/V question though it pertains to a potential setup with AppleTV.

The questions is: If I'm just looking for a solid 2.1 audio setup alongside my HDTV, DVD Player, and AppleTV....do I need a receiver?

Can I just purchase some decent speakers and a subwoofer and plug them straight to one of the boxes...and get solid sound from all three sources.

Or is a receiver a necessity...I'm not interested in true surround sound....2 good speakers and a sub will suffice.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2007, 03:02 PM

If you've got a decent HDTV, it should have an audio output, usually via stereo RCA connectors. Connect your A/V stuff to the various A/V inputs on your TV, and you can then connect a speaker/sub setup to the audio output on your TV.

You may need to go into the setup menus on your TV to direct audio output to the external speakers, as opposed to the TV's own speakers.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2007, 04:29 PM

Are you talking about plugging in computer speakers? If so, then you don't need a reciever. If however you want to use regular home theater speakers and a real subwoofer, then you will need some sort of a receiver to power them.

Moderator  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2007, 04:46 PM

What makes something a "computer speaker." I just want a good, solid speaker/subwoofer combo..I don't care what its classified as so long as it sounds good.

I'm not sure what the difference is...is it that computer speakers have their own power source...or is it an issue of quality?..connectors?

MikeD
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2007, 09:04 PM

Computer speakers are usually just smaller and have their own little stands on them. Their volume levels etc controls are usually on one of the speakers themselves.

I would get a cheap receiver with the inputs you want. If you're connecting via HDMI, the receivers may be a little more expensive.

You would get the speakers you want, connect the two to your receiver, connect your sub to your receiver, connect the DVD player to the receiver, (most can handle video as well as audio), then receiver to tv.

Maybe you need to tell us all the components you have so we can see what's best for you.
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2007, 09:22 PM

"Computer" speakers are probably what the OP's thinking of, yeah? The kind that comes as a complete package, where the satellites (and control pod if they have one) plug into the subwoofer, and the input is on the subwoofer and usually consists of 1 stereo minijack (occasionally stereo RCA too, but you can get cheap RCA->minijack adapters). Stuff by Logitech, Altec Lansing, Creative, etc. For this you don't need a receiver; that would be pointless.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

Moderator  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2007, 01:37 PM

Picture a pair of Audio Engine speakers, which have the amp built in...attached to a setup that includes a 42" lcd, hdcable box, dvd player. and apple tv.

Will I be able to get sound out from all of these devices, to these 2 speakers... without using a receiver?

Audioengine - Powered stereo speakers for your home and office. Custom built for iPod and other MP3 audio players.

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2007, 01:44 PM

For those speakers, you do NOT need a receiver. Just plug them into AC and then hook up the RCA inputs into the audio-out jacks of your TV.
Not sure how you're going to hook up a subwoofer to that though, if that's still what you're looking at. To add a sub, you'd pretty much need to add a reciever into the mix to act as a crossover, and at that point it would be more cost effective to buy regular bookshelf speakers.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2007, 12:18 PM

Unless you intend to listen to off the air radio stations, the question is whether you need an amplifier, not a receiver.

Moderator  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2007, 12:49 PM

I don't care about radio...and I thought a tuner was different from a reciever.
The Audio Engine's have a built in amp...

What I'm wondering is....what are the functions of the receiver and if I'm not interested in surround sound..why do I need one.

Is it an amplifier? Is it necessary in order to have audio from multiple sources all go to the same speakers? Why do people get recivers if they can plug speakers right into the television.

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2007, 01:28 PM

A receiver is usually three things, an amplifier, a source switcher, and a radio tuner.

People buy receivers mostly for the amp, I'm guessing. That way you can plug your iPod, TV, or other low power devices in and drive some bigger non-self-powered speakers.

ImpulseResponse

Forum Links
Forum Rules