Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12" major yet still elegant crash

12" major yet still elegant crash
tomasboudr
Sep 11, 2003, 12:07 PM

Hi everyone,

I've had my 12" for about a month now without a crash, but previously I had been on a PC. So the last kernel panic I experienced was back when I put OS X 10.0 on my grandmother's iMac.

Well now I have have jaguar of course and was wondeirng if kernel panics still look the same. Back in 10.0 the iMac exited to a Blue screen with some lovely criptic error message in the top left corner.

The reason I ask is because when I was sitting in class writing an email in mail, the funniest thing happened. The screen did a linear fade from the top of the screen down that darkened the whole screen a few leveles then I got a modal dialog box in multiple languages telling me to hold down the power button to reset the machine. I am assuming this was a nasty crash but I have never heard of it on these boards anywhere and was wondering if anyone knew what it was.

Thanks,

-Thomas
Old Skool ~ 3rd Gen iPod
New Skool ~ White MacBook 2Ghz

Naz
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 11, 2003, 12:15 PM

yeah seen that once using 10.2

its a better way to crash but have not crashed again for damn I can't remember how long
Nazaire's Art - -- iMac 500 DV SE --- 17" PB

stefls
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 11, 2003, 12:33 PM

Yeah, I've also seen it just a little bit too often... It often happens when I'm trying to set up a direct cable connection with my brother's Win-machine... I've stopped bragging about X's stability, since he doesn't believe me any longer

amazing
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2003, 12:35 PM

Yep, that's a kernel panic. You should repair permissions and run fsck -y everytime that happens (see apple's support site for details.) You should also use the software update System pref panel to make sure you have the latest system software.

neutrino23
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 12, 2003, 02:35 AM

Originally posted by amazing:
Yep, that's a kernel panic. You should repair permissions and run fsck -y everytime that happens (see apple's support site for details.)
Just wondering. Does OS X automatically repair the disk after a hard crash? I rarely restart and it is extremely rare to have a crash but it seems that OS X takes extra long time to start after a crash. Anyone know about this for sure?
Happy owner of a new 15" Al PB.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 12, 2003, 03:20 AM

Originally posted by neutrino23:
Just wondering. Does OS X automatically repair the disk after a hard crash? I rarely restart and it is extremely rare to have a crash but it seems that OS X takes extra long time to start after a crash. Anyone know about this for sure?
I believe it does, yes.

Forum Links
Forum Rules