Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > HP Scanjet stubbornly remains

HP Scanjet stubbornly remains
stefls
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 23, 2003, 06:51 PM

Dear all,

Lately I've been noticing some slowdown of over-all system performance. Sometimes even iTunes skips (which used to be very rare) while for example pressing the volume buttons (f3-5). Doing some research I found out that HP Scanjet software remains present in the background even after all HP apps have been quit. 'Top' shows a continuous CPU-usage of 10-16% for 'HP Scanjet' and some RAM-usage. I'm using the latest HP drivers for a ScanJet 3670 on a 600 Mhz iBook with 384 MB RAM. Also worthwhile to mention is that the OS has recently been reinstalled (Jaguar).

Now I was wondering if anyone over here experiences this same behaviour and even better, if someone knew a remedy for this.

Thanks for your response.

Stefan

Back up 15 and punt
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 23, 2003, 10:22 PM

HP uses a scan manager which comes up upon login. Their software drivers for OS X are terrible and HP, I believe, doesn't really care any more. Its very likley that the scan manager is the culprit and you can probably terminate it by removing it from login or by using the utility "CPU Monitor" to quite the process.

stefls  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 24, 2003, 07:16 AM

Originally posted by Back up 15 and punt:
HP uses a scan manager which comes up upon login. Their software drivers for OS X are terrible and HP, I believe, doesn't really care any more. Its very likley that the scan manager is the culprit and you can probably terminate it by removing it from login or by using the utility "CPU Monitor" to quite the process.
Indeed, the application was present in the list of login items. Thanks for your help!

clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2003, 05:05 PM

Are there alternative drivers anywhere?

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2003, 06:12 PM

Originally posted by Back up 15 and punt:
It seams that HP has decided to start caring about it's OSX drivers.
The drivers/software etc. I have been using for there latest scanner (4670) are really excellent.

Forum Links
Forum Rules