Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Are the Neverwinter Expansion packs available?

Are the Neverwinter Expansion packs available?
poulh
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 25, 2005, 10:21 AM

I finally have a computer fast enough to play NWN. I enjoyed Baldur's gate and I'm wondering if its worth it?

Are all the expansion packs available?
Are any fan-made adventures good?

Thanks!
12" Aluminum Powerbook
1.5Ghz G4 | 512Mb Ram | GeForce FX Go5200

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2005, 03:05 PM

Plenty of expansions available!
Shadows of Undrentide and Hordes of the Underdark are both 'official' expansions are are well worth the money (HotU is wonderful, I thought).
Bioware also has other expansions available for download (Bioware store linky )for a modest price (around $8 I thhink). I played one of those (Kingmaker) and while it was well done, it was short, not challenging, and had little replay value.
Community created modules (Nw Vault linky) range from really good to pointless. The Shadowlords/Dreamcatcher series and Midsummer Knights dream Series were pretty good. The Shadowlords/Dreamcatcher series is around 6 modules long, and if you start off with a new character you can level up to around level 18 by the time you are done (IIRC). Nice and long with an entertaining storyline. The Midsummer Knights Dream series is only 3 linked modules, and they have a good storyline as well... tho not nearly as long as the dreamcatcher series. But be aware that many community expansions require you to have both SoU and HotU installed (for graphics and gameplay modifications).
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

poulh  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 25, 2005, 03:11 PM

Thanks... they only say windows... how do I get them to work with the mac?
12" Aluminum Powerbook
1.5Ghz G4 | 512Mb Ram | GeForce FX Go5200

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2005, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by poulh
Thanks... they only say windows... how do I get them to work with the mac?
Easy as pie. In the case of the community created modules, you open up the archive and stick the files from the archive in the appropriate folders inside your Nwn install. The Hak file from the Archive goes in the Hak Folder on your install. The Module file from the arcive goes in the Module folder on your install, same for movies and music etc. It really is pretty easy.

For the official campaigns (SoU and HotU), just buy the Mac Versions. And for Bioware's premium downloaded modules, the information is on Bioware's site. It is essentially the same process of manually installing the community modules.
Note about Bioware's 'Premium' modules that you buy and download. The copy protection scheme on these requires that everytime a saved game using the premium module is launched, the program get authentification via the web from Bioware to run it. So you need an actiive web connection to play these modules.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Forum Links
Forum Rules