Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Who lives in your neighborhood?

Who lives in your neighborhood?
moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Oct 18, 2005, 11:24 PM

Who lives in your neighborhood?

http://www.mapsexoffenders.com/

Enter your address and zip code to find out. We have a guy living on the street next to ours:

Richard Skellen
11 Regent St.

linkage...

Scary stuff, but very useful, too. I'd rather that this information be publicly available than what the situation would be like otherwise.
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2005, 12:00 AM

3 within 2 blocks.

PacHead
Baninated
Oct 19, 2005, 12:14 AM

Amazingly there's only 1 in my zipcode, I thought there'd be lots more since this is New York City afterall.

sex offender scumbag in my zipcode = MATTHEW PONZO

moki  (op)
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Oct 19, 2005, 12:29 AM

The one in my neighborhood is a 50-something year old man who raped a 12 year old girl. I would not feel bad if i accidentally ran him over.

PacHead
Baninated
Oct 19, 2005, 12:56 AM

The convicted sex offender in my zipcode had two seperate victims, one boy 8 and one boy 5.
Why do they even let these types back into society ? The chance of them doing it again is extremely high. They need to be chemically castrated or they need to physically get their testicles removed. They should all be sent to live in a prison just for sex offenders for the rest of their lives and they can all continue to rape each other all day long there.

Cubeoid
Baninated
Oct 19, 2005, 01:36 AM

Crackheads. The whole street.

moki  (op)
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Oct 19, 2005, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by PacHead
Amazingly there's only 1 in my zipcode, I thought there'd be lots more since this is New York City afterall.

sex offender scumbag in my zipcode = MATTHEW PONZO
Well, these are only the guys who actually get caught and convicted...

PacHead
Baninated
Oct 19, 2005, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by moki
Yeah true, they were talking about sex offenders on the news the other day and some guest was saying that maybe as much as 90% of cases are never even reported, especially incest cases.

Rolling Bones
Banned
Oct 19, 2005, 02:30 AM

Mr. Rogers?

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2005, 03:09 AM

I've been pedophile hunting before.

The cops caught us before we caught him.

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2005, 03:44 AM

So does this only mark ones on the Google map for your zipcode, regardless of zoom level? If so I count 19 (all within zoom level 4), but none on my street or on any nearby streets, all at least a mile away I believe. Interesting stuff indeed.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

Railroader
Banned
Oct 19, 2005, 05:05 AM

Not available in Michigan yet.

I have searched the Michigan Sex Offender site before.

My question, what do the various degrees of sex offender mean? For example (just a few) "CRIMINAL SEXUAL CONDUCT 4TH DEGREE (MULTIPLE VARIABLES), CRIMINAL SEXUAL CONDUCT 1ST DEGREE (MULTIPLE VARIABLES), CHILD SEXUALLY ABUSIVE ACTIVITY - DISTRIBUTING OR PROMOTING, CRIMINAL SEXUAL CONDUCT 4TH DEGREE (MULTIPLE VARIABLES)

There are many more "degrees"listed.

Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2005, 05:51 AM

For how long is this information available? Forever?

Do criminals regain all their rights after completing their sentence?

Ham Sandwich
Oct 19, 2005, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by 11011001
For how long is this information available? Forever?

Do criminals regain all their rights after completing their sentence?
From what I remember hearing, it's permanent.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2005, 07:02 AM

Seems Michigan is not on the list...

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 19, 2005, 07:06 AM

The ONLY thing that sucks about this is.. if you are say.. 21 and have sex with say.. a 16-17 year old you are a sex offender.

If that is the case, there are sex offenders all over the place. Probably some of you and me are.

I think they need to differentiate between those kind of cases, and say, pedophile ones.

I know a guy that was busted in the 80s for messing with a gal that was under age when he was in his younger 20s. She was 16 I believe.

Now he has a "sex offender" label the rest of his life. ..

I mean come on...

(Found said guy I was speaking about http://www.wvstatepolice.com/sexoff/...OffenderID=757)

Not that I condone having sex with minors (Even though I had before when I was 18, my GF at the time was 16, so I guess that makes me a sex offender too) But labeling them sex offenders and putting them on the list is kinda silly.

This list really should be for pedophiles. I don't see someone in their early 20s having sex with a 16-17 year old a pedophile.

But they will be seen that way if on this list.

This one is just silly too.

http://www.wvstatepolice.com/sexoff/...ffenderID=1874
( Last edited by Kevin; Oct 19, 2005 at 07:15 AM. )

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Oct 19, 2005, 07:29 AM

Yeah, some states have their own and not participating in the national list yet. Probably will soon though.

The local paper(s) or TV did a segment on this not too long ago; while the lists do contain a lot of information; they are not accurate and in most cases, missing up to %20 (i think that was the number) of those who should be on the list. reasons ranging from they were given false address or no information at all after release. wtf? nice system.

Ham Sandwich
Oct 19, 2005, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin
The ONLY thing that sucks about this is.. if you are say.. 21 and have sex with say.. a 16-17 year old you are a sex offender.
Couldn't agree more. And I agree with you that there are a ton of us who are probably considered by the law to be a sex offender for doing just as you mentioned (I'm guilty, too). I really think this part of the law is absurd. Both parties agree to sex, both parties tell the authrorities they agreed to sex but one of them gets a permanent record because they are a year or two older.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2005, 07:56 AM

Kevin is right. This sort of thing happens every day in normal teenage dating and is definitely not child molestation.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2005, 07:59 AM

Yep, and in states like illinois they call the charge "child rape".
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2005, 08:02 AM

Wow. I remember dating a girl when I was 17 and she was 15. I doubt that anybody's 16th birthday (age of consent where we lived) was as eagerly anticipated as we anticipated hers.

bad_quote
Baninated
Oct 19, 2005, 09:31 AM

There is no wisconsin button. Weak. Anyway, keep in mind a lot of these guys have gone to jail for their crimes, and almost EVERYONE in jail HATES sex offenders, so they were probably violated many many many times.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2005, 10:19 AM

Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 19, 2005, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by moki
Guys? Heh, this is the only one in my area.

SANDRA DIANE FORD
1705 HUTCHINSON AVE
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Proudest Monkey
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 19, 2005, 10:42 AM

Zero in my town, zero in the surrounding suburbs. Plenty in North Minneapolis - not exactly known for it's quiet nights and strong sense of community. Compare 55435 to 55411 - yikes.

even scarier -- find an area with many schools and do a search. i thought they couldn't live within a certain radius of schools? 55106 - near 5 schools w/5 sex offenders.
MacBook 13.3" C2D 2.0ghz 2gb/160gb

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 19, 2005, 11:41 AM

I have a big problem with the whole "sex offender" label. It is not restricted to what I would consider dangerous and disturbed people. If Johnny gets caught at age 16 messing with Janie who is 15, Johnny can (and if daddy has his way will) be charged with statutory rape and be labeled a "sex offender" for the rest of his life. Psychologists consider sex with underaged people to be deviant only if there is a five year difference in ages between the perpetrator and the victim, but the law often sees no such distinction. Until the entire country settles on ONE definition for who qualifies as a "sex offender" all you get by listing those names is a label that you can't really use.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 19, 2005, 05:42 PM

DUNG F TRAN
586 ONANCOCK TRAIL

-t

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 19, 2005, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
I have a big problem with the whole "sex offender" label. It is not restricted to what I would consider dangerous and disturbed people. If Johnny gets caught at age 16 messing with Janie who is 15, Johnny can (and if daddy has his way will) be charged with statutory rape and be labeled a "sex offender" for the rest of his life.
Not if he is 16. Your record gets wiped clean once he turns 18.

-Q-
Oct 19, 2005, 05:57 PM

Now that's scary - there are two in my zip code that appear to live within about two blocks of two different elementary schools!

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2005, 08:28 PM

LOL. Yeah, that's what they tell you.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2005, 08:30 PM

So you're 16, get it off with a 15 year old and you're on the sex offender's register for 2 years? That doesn't make any sense.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 19, 2005, 08:31 PM

Minors don't have permanent records.
Look it up.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 19, 2005, 08:32 PM

Atleast in WV.

ObiWan Flanders
Forum Regular
Oct 19, 2005, 08:42 PM

Heh, just found a kid I went to High School with on there. Nice kid, didn't see that coming.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 19, 2005, 08:53 PM

What was his age range? I mean the "victim's" age.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2005, 08:58 PM

Look it up.
You shouldn't get any record in the first place if you're just a year or so apart.
My girlfriend's parents didn't particularly care for me - I changed my hair colour too often for their liking. That's the reason we waited - I didn't want to give them any excuse.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 19, 2005, 09:06 PM

I just thought of something.. .
When I was 18, my GF now was 12.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2005, 09:23 PM

Heh. But you don't believe in sex before marriage if I remember correctly. So you should be ok

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 19, 2005, 09:24 PM

Just the THOUGHT of dating a 12 year old when I was 18 though...

That kinda gives you the creeps.

brapper
Professional Poster
Oct 19, 2005, 09:25 PM

A friend was telling me that one of his friends from home was loaded at a bar, somewhere in Michigan, and took a piss against a store on the street. So long stor short, he got arrested and apparently he had to go to court, and if convicted would have to register as a sex offender.
Don't know if that's the full story, nor do I know which parts are true.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2005, 09:29 PM

Just the THOUGHT of dating a 12 year old when I was 18 though...

That kinda gives you the creeps.
Uh, yes, agreed.

ObiWan Flanders
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 2005, 01:53 AM

What was his age range? I mean the "victim's" age.
He's 19 now. This happened when he was 18 and the "victim" was his 17 year old girlfriend of 2 years... What the crap?

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2005, 02:46 AM

Look it up.
If you've got a long juvenile criminal record, do you think they just tear it up when you turn 18, and wipe the slate clean?

No. They keep those records and they look them up. Maybe they can't use it against you in a court of law, but the record is still there.

Rev2Liv
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2005, 03:07 AM

The standard formula we used in my younger days is half your age + 7. At 26, half my age is 13. Add 7 and the youngest I can date is 20.

While there is no scientific evidence to support this formula, anecdotal evidence suggests that it works.

The age of consent is an intensely controversial toic. Perhaps if we applied the formula stated above, we could nail scumbags who date girls younger than half their age + 7. (sarcasm).

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 20, 2005, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by ObiWan Flanders
He's 19 now. This happened when he was 18 and the "victim" was his 17 year old girlfriend of 2 years... What the crap?
Exactly. So he doesn't seem like he is too bad of a guy now does it?

But that label make you think he is.

It's sickening.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 20, 2005, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Face Ache
If you've got a long juvenile criminal record, do you think they just tear it up when you turn 18, and wipe the slate clean?

No. They keep those records and they look them up. Maybe they can't use it against you in a court of law, but the record is still there.
That may be the case, But the main fact is, it can't be used against you. In Court or whatever.

Your name is also not on the list of sexual predators anymore as I originally stated either.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 20, 2005, 08:42 AM

Not always, and not in all states. And if daddy is rich and influential enough, Johnny may actually do hard time in a real prison. Even if you're a minor, statutory rape has some very unpleasant consequences.

Here is some interesting information about the various states' ages of consent and penalties for people having sex with others below the stated age. As you can see, there is a huge variation in the rules here. The age of consent varies from 14 (!!!???!!!) to 18 (!!!), depending on which state you're in. Let's say an 18 year old person in Wisconsin has sex with a 17 year old there, and daddy catches them and presses charges. The 18 year old is then marked as a "sex criminal" on the same level as an 18 year old in Hawaii having sex with a 13 year old!!!

Until everyone uses the same rules, there will be erroneous and misleading issues with these databases. I have no problem with permanently identifying real child molesters, but permanently marking kids having relations with other kids of nearly the same age is WRONG.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 20, 2005, 09:09 AM

I just thought of something.. .
When I was 18, my GF now was 12.

When I was 18, Kim was 7.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 20, 2005, 02:21 PM

I have the highest concentration of registered sex offenders in New York State living in my zip code. Most of them live in the same building, called Snowdon Tower, about six blocks from me. Some genius at the parole department thought it would be easier to keep track of them if they were all in one place. The rest of the neighborhood is thrilled, i can assure you. There was a big article in the local paper about it earlier this summer.
Nemo me impune lacesset

JustAnOl'Broad
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2005, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Rev2Liv
The standard formula we used in my younger days is half your age + 7. At 26, half my age is 13. Add 7 and the youngest I can date is 20.
woohoo
a reason to live

Forum Links
Forum Rules