Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Reccommend me a bicycle

Reccommend me a bicycle
KeriVit
Professional Poster
Dec 19, 2005, 01:44 PM

I searched previous threads- here but the bikes were not within my price range or terrain.

I am looking for a bike for city riding between classes and then riding some minor trails back at my campground-- no major distance- just fun and necessity.

I would like to stay under $400. I have always been partial to Trek, but it has been years since I bought a new bike.

So- what are your thoughts for bikes and locks (high theft area)?

Thank you.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Dec 19, 2005, 02:14 PM

I like Gary Fisher. I've had mine for 9 years. It's a green Aquila with white tires - the tires really stick out when parked in a rack with other bikes. I've been fairly rough on the bike and it has been great. I live in Florida, so we lack mountains, but we do have rock quarries and phosphate mines.

I personally prefer hardtails and prefer steel over aluminum (don't care for aluminum's vibration). Fisher's bikes have a slightly different ride because they put your center of gravity in a different place than other bikes (take a look at the position of the handle bars in relation to the front wheel's hub).

I've been out of college for a while, so my knowledge of locks is probably out of date.

KeriVit  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 19, 2005, 02:22 PM

Very nice. I like some of their city/path bikes... I'll look further... Thanks

KeriVit  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 19, 2005, 09:14 PM

Cmon- nobody else still has a bike? Don't let me get ripped off. Help!

Heavy Fluid
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 19, 2005, 09:29 PM

I bought a Diamondback last year, mostly road stuff like you, a little offroad, and it is an awesome bike. http://www.diamondback.com/items.asp...emid=134<br /> Go to MTN Trail > Response Sport '05. For some reason, I cannot directly link it.
In a barrier free world, who needs Windows™ and Gates?

ITMacMan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 19, 2005, 10:00 PM

Giant makes some pretty nice bikes also. I just purchased a FCR3. Here's the link to their site.

http://www.giant-bicycle.com/us/000....00.000.000.asp

black bear theory
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 20, 2005, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by KeriVit
Cmon- nobody else still has a bike? Don't let me get ripped off. Help!
i bought a kona fire mountain a few years ago which i like alot. it was $425 back then, but i rode that bike everywhere - commute to school, trail riding, bars - and it still works great. if you live in a dry climate, i suggest you get low-profile tires, that will make it easier to get to where you want and roads, and most are still good for trails.

get a good lock and pray. i haven't heard of a lock that hasn't been compromised in some way. :/
Earth First! we'll mine the other planets later.

JustAnOl'Broad
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 20, 2005, 03:15 AM

Hi KV,
Been out of the loop for a while; have ya moved to GA yet?
And did your pal ever get back from overseas?
Was hopin you wouldn't be alone for the Holidays.
...and no suggestion on bikes here; sorry.
Patti~

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Dec 20, 2005, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by black bear theory
i bought a kona fire mountain a few years ago which i like alot. it was $425 back then, but i rode that bike everywhere - commute to school, trail riding, bars - and it still works great. if you live in a dry climate, i suggest you get low-profile tires, that will make it easier to get to where you want and roads, and most are still good for trails.

get a good lock and pray. i haven't heard of a lock that hasn't been compromised in some way. :/
I have a Fire Mountain, too, and it's a great bike for the price. Wish I had time to ride more though.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Dec 20, 2005, 12:18 PM

Kettler ? http://www.kettlerusa.com/
Relatively expensive, but really good stuff. Don't let the crappy website fool you.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2005, 01:45 PM

What a bout a Specialized or Cannondale? Both are decent bikes. If you are picky and want something American Made. The Frames of Cannondales are made in the USA.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Dec 20, 2005, 01:49 PM

I doubt that you can get a Specialized or a Cannondale for under 400$.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

drummin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 20, 2005, 02:19 PM

I got a Trek 7300 for about $400.

Serves me very well.

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2005, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by ITMacMan
Giant makes some pretty nice bikes also. I just purchased a FCR3. Here's the link to their site.

http://www.giant-bicycle.com/us/000....00.000.000.asp
I have a Giant as well. Friend of mine has a Giant NRS1, great bike.

gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 20, 2005, 02:32 PM

Specialized Hardrock Sport has a MSRP of $360 (http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=12278). Also, as far as quality is concerned, Trek owns Gary Fisher, Klein so I think their quality is about the same.

KeriVit  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 20, 2005, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by typoon
What a bout a Specialized or Cannondale? Both are decent bikes. If you are picky and want something American Made. The Frames of Cannondales are made in the USA.

I have been told Specialized is overpriced for the quality in comparison to others...?

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Dec 20, 2005, 04:59 PM

I have been told Specialized is overpriced for the quality in comparison to others...?
I've never heard from a Specialized owner that was happy with the purchase.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 20, 2005, 05:23 PM

Anybody ever used the Trek Urban bikes? I need a bike for street use, tough and fast-able. Or something similar?

http://www2.trekbikes.com/bikes/bike...d=1034000&f=23
ice

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2005, 08:17 PM

I'd recommend Bike Forums. I'm a member, but mostly just browse for info.

KeriVit: If you're somewhat serious, go to a local shop and get 'fitted' (~$40). Do a little research first to find out which style of bike you want to get so they know how to fit you. Get an idea of how you want to be positioned on the bike and have the bike shop give you your measurements. Once you figure out what size/geometry you will favor, try out CraigsList and local classifieds. Lots of people get suckered into buying a nice bike and never use it, so look for used. You simply won't find a *nice* ride for $400 brand new.

Or, you could just get a cheap Trek hybrid for $350.

Ice, the SU200 looks a bit cheap (parts-wise) but will probably function well for day to day stuff. The SoHo looks like overkill.

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2005, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by goldfinger
I doubt that you can get a Specialized or a Cannondale for under 400$.
Yeah, unless it's a 1990 model...

Heavy Fluid
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 20, 2005, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by rozwado1
You simply won't find a *nice* ride for $400 brand new.
I have to disagree with this. I got my Diamondback from Dick's Sporting Goods for $270. Granted, it was on sale, but it still stickered right around $400.

KeriVit  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 20, 2005, 09:57 PM

Ok $400 is the range, but honestly- for a bike- why should I have to shell out $1000. It's not a firckin car. ****. I could buy a bike at Walmart for $150.

I just want a decent bike to ride every so often... it's not a major investment. Why is 4-500 a bad price range?

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2005, 10:23 PM

Ok $400 is the range, but honestly- for a bike- why should I have to shell out $1000. It's not a firckin car. ****. I could buy a bike at Walmart for $150.

I just want a decent bike to ride every so often... it's not a major investment. Why is 4-500 a bad price range?
Ride a $400 bike for a while and then try a $1500 or $2000 bike. Then you'll know. (I'm referring to new prices, btw)

KeriVit  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 20, 2005, 10:24 PM

I'm sure there is a difference, but I'd rather throw the cash at my computer than my goods,..

KeriVit  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 20, 2005, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by rozwado1
I'd recommend Bike Forums. I'm a member, but mostly just browse for info.

KeriVit: If you're somewhat serious, go to a local shop and get 'fitted' (~$40). Do a little research first to find out which style of bike you want to get so they know how to fit you. Get an idea of how you want to be positioned on the bike and have the bike shop give you your measurements. Once you figure out what size/geometry you will favor, try out CraigsList and local classifieds. Lots of people get suckered into buying a nice bike and never use it, so look for used. You simply won't find a *nice* ride for $400 brand new.

Or, you could just get a cheap Trek hybrid for $350.

Ice, the SU200 looks a bit cheap (parts-wise) but will probably function well for day to day stuff. The SoHo looks like overkill.
Good idea- will get fitted, but people need to stop pretending that$500 for a hardly used bike is normal.

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2005, 10:31 PM

If you're not planning on riding it often, or for extended periods, I guess it doesn't matter so much. But if you want to take it on trails you should consider investing a bit more. It'll be more fun and safer.

I guess it depends on the kind of trails you're talking about riding. I bought new bike for around $1000 thinking it would suit my needs fine. I was having enough fun that I began riding more often and on more advanced trails. At that point, I really wished I had spent a little more on a lighter bike that was better equipped to handle that type of riding.

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2005, 10:35 PM

Yeah, but instead of a car, you could drive a junked-out golfcart made of shotty parts.

The Walmart bikes will get you from point A to point B, but there have been quality problems. When you get a $1000+ bike, more of the parts are professionally engineered and will be more reliable, in general. It's almost always better to buy a secondhand *nice* bike than a new Walmart bike because they are serviceable and replacement parts can be had. But then again, you could get a new Walmart bike every year and you may be happier.

I think the major point is that you shouldn't shop at Walmart because Walmart is a whore.

KeriVit  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 20, 2005, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by jasonsRX7
If you're not planning on riding it often, or for extended periods, I guess it doesn't matter so much. But if you want to take it on trails you should consider investing a bit more. It'll be more fun and safer.

I guess it depends on the kind of trails you're talking about riding. I bought new bike for around $1000 thinking it would suit my needs fine. I was having enough fun that I began riding more often and on more advanced trails. At that point, I really wished I had spent a little more on a lighter bike that was better equipped to handle that type of riding.

Thank ypu Jason, I will keep that in mind- I'm just afraid of me getting hurt or it getting stolen.

So whadda we got for bike locks- inner city.... and helmet- I'm adameant bout that. But need some advice.

Also- water bottles, lights, reflectors, etc. What to get brfore I go throw my money away to get to it.

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2005, 10:41 PM

Thank ypu Jason, I will keep that in mind- I'm just afraid of me getting hurt or it getting stolen.

So whadda we got for bike locks- inner city.... and helmet- I'm adameant bout that. But need some advice.

Also- water bottles, lights, reflectors, etc. What to get brfore I go throw my money away to get to it.
Water bottles - only get if you're gonna be doing long rides.
Lights > reflectors
Helmets are tough. I've found that the more you spend, the better they look (thinner foam) but they all kinda fit me the same (not well).

Here's the website of a bike mechanic turned god: Sheldon Brown

Good reads on there for newbs and experts.

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2005, 10:47 PM

Safety is number one, and that's where having a bike with quality components and a strong frame will be important. When you're on a fast downhill in the woods, going over wet roots with muddy brakes is not the time to be wishing you had better gear
Talk with your dealer about the helmet and making sure you get a proper fit. I dunno about inner city bike locks, but I use a CamelBak hydration pack.

Heavy Fluid
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 21, 2005, 02:26 AM

Bell makes good affordable helmets. Lights are better than reflectors. I picked up a pretty bright halogen light on the clearance rack at Target for $10.00 It has a bracket, and is completely removable, so no worries about theft. It throws a great amount of light for a great price.

As for the Wal-Mart bikes. I replaced my $100 Huffy "mountain bike" purchased from Target, with my Diamondback. There is a huge difference, and it is very noticeable once you get on the bike. Wal-Mart bikes are affordable, but in the long run, spend the extra money, and get something that will last you.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Dec 21, 2005, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by jasonsRX7

I paid $650 for mine, and it has been more than enough for trail riding. It depends on what type of bike you're riding. For $1000, you're getting a low end full suspension. Yeah, you'll want to change that. For the same $1000, you can get a high end aluminum hardtail, and you won't want to change that. For my $650, I got a high end steel hardtail, and I don't want to change that. The different types of bikes have their prices ranges, and I'd suggest that you not buy at the low end of one of them.

I know a lot of yuppie weekend warriors that think they need a $2000 full suspension bike to handle the trails, but they don't. In fact, most of the bike shop guys and serious riders I meet on the trail really love my steel hardtail, which the yuppie weekend warrior types shun as not expensive enough. What they don't realize is that their full suspension bikes actually absorb a lot of their climbing power. You've said you are moving to Georgia, right? My bike can handle any trail in that state. I've taken it on trips to the Blue Ridge mountains and been plenty fine.

As for the comment about Trek being superior to Fisher, I suppose that's a matter of opinion. I like Fisher because they're a relatively small company that loves their products. They seem more product focused than money focused. They have great products, and the bike shops that carry them usually have better mechanics in them and a greater love for biking. They're not selling bikes to ride around the retirement home, and that leads to a better experience for people like me. I'll buy Fisher bikes for the rest of my life, and I'll go to bike shops that sell them. They're bike lovers.

Jellytussle
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 21, 2005, 09:34 AM

Bought a Marin Pioneer Trail this summer for similar purposes to yourself - it was £270, so i guess it'll be well under $400. I like the weight and riding position, not so keen on the Shimano Altus shifters and front derailleur, but you get what you pay for. I stuck semi road tyres on it to ease pavement riding, but you can still ride a light trail. I wouldn't throw myself down a mountain on it, though. Also, it's a great matte midnight blue colour, and i'm a whore .
You see, my friends, pirates are the key. - thalo

Heavy Fluid
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 21, 2005, 10:21 AM

Wow. I forgot about Marin. I had a Marin way back when I first got into mountain biking. It was a full frame, no suspension. I paid a pretty penny for it, as they were a new company, and the bike shop that I purchased it from was really pushing their product. It was a great bike.

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2005, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by wallinbl
For $1000, you're getting a low end full suspension. Yeah, you'll want to change that. For the same $1000, you can get a high end aluminum hardtail, and you won't want to change that.
You're exactly right. I got a low end FS bike that was cushy, but killed me going uphill. I'd have been better off with a hardtail or higher end FS. I didn't know that at the time, and was just going on advice of friends. One of them got a Giant NRS which I rode a few times and it was great... soo much better than mine. He got it used and only ended up paying about $500 more than I did.

Forum Links
Forum Rules