Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 109)
jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2008, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Ya there is no hype or innovation involved with Little Big Planet. None at all.
They're going to announce Little Big Planet at E3???

All glory to the hypnotoad.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2008, 12:26 PM

Please please tell me this is a joke and not the usual method of rushing some cheap hardware to the market and over time making you pay to upgrade it to something it should have had from the start:
http://gizmodo.com/5024909/wii-motio...ing-to-the-wii

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2008, 12:57 PM

Ha!

Let's see what our resident Nintendo fanboy has to say about this.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2008, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Ha!

"There's nothing wrong with the motion sensing now - that's just an upgrade if you want ENHANCED motion sensing. Most people won't need it."

That's my best guess.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2008, 02:18 PM

Just posted to Major Nelson's twitter from the Microsoft E3 keynote:
"Last year, our third-party game sales outpaced the Wii, and the PlayStation 3 combined"

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2008, 02:22 PM

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2008, 03:14 PM

Final Fantasy XIII announced for the 360. Didn't see that one coming...
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/07/14/fi...g-to-xbox-360/

Now I'm going to need to figure out why I own a PS3 at all...

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 14, 2008, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Final Fantasy XIII announced for the 360. Didn't see that one coming...
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/07/14/fi...g-to-xbox-360/

Now I'm going to need to figure out why I own a PS3 at all...
Completely. Stunned.

I didn't see it coming either. I'm happy, though. I'll probably get the PS3 version...just cuz. It does have a better graphics engine than the 360. But wow.....good news for 360 fans and TERRIBLE news for the PS3 fans.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2008, 03:17 PM

"There's nothing wrong with the motion sensing now - that's just an upgrade if you want ENHANCED motion sensing. Most people won't need it."

That's my best guess.
Ya there is nothing wrong with it that is why Nintendo is fixing it after a year. Geez.

This was my main concern when the wii was first rumored years ago. I knew the IR wasn't going to cut it and from the first minute I got my Wii I was disappointed I was right.

This add on reminds me when they came out with the GameBoy Advance with no rechargeable battery, backlighting and it was friggin huge. The under 2 years later Nintendo released the much smaller GBAsp that corrected all those problems. You can bet that a HUGE number of GBA owners sold their old one and got the SP just so they could use it at night. For that money I could have got a PSP. It also pissed me off because it wasn't like backlite LCD's and recharable batteries were invened after the GBA came it. It was just another case of Nintendo being cheap and wanting to make as much money as they could by offering as little as they could as GoMac and team would be first in line to drop another $150 when they fixed all the faults.

The N64 also shipped with a video memory expansion slot as they knew from the start that it wouldn't be enough. They also put a port on the bottom for the canceled DD device as they knew again storage would be a major issue in the near future.

The SNES also had a port on the bottom for the canceled CD drive to help with storage again.

Lets count the months until a Wii HD is annouced.

The PS1, 2 and 3 all planned ahead with storage as did the Xbox.

People bitch about a PS3 or 360 controller costing $50 but I am dying to know what a Wiimote: $45 + Nunchuck: $25 + "ENHANCED Motion add on": ? end up costing. Close to $100 a remote for a "Cheap casual gamer controller".

They better bundle it for free with every damn game or make all future wiimotes have it built in.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2008, 03:18 PM

FFXIII was one of the main reasons I justified a PS3 purchase. I don't know if I can keep it around as simply a BD player (especially since I only own 1 BD). I'm not a MGS fan, so I can't think of any other big exclusives that could really make me want to keep the PS3. Which sucks because I actually like the hardware a lot...

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2008, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
But wow.....good news for 360 fans and TERRIBLE news for the PS3 fans.
Why is it "Terrible news" for PS3 fans? It is still coming out for PS3. If anything the sony exects might be upset but they probibly had the chance to pay for an exclusive and didn't want to.

Unless exclusive bragging rights is that big of a plus for PS3 fans I don't see why they should care.

My only concern is that they shitty down the game to make it easier on the 360 CPU or storage.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 14, 2008, 03:21 PM

I have a ton of BR discs. I'll keep my PS3, I'm happy with it, but holy CRAP.

I just thought for sure they'd bang out one more FF for the PS and then move to multiple consoles for XIV. But wow....didn't see this coming.

Smart move, though.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 14, 2008, 03:22 PM

Why is it "Terrible news" for PS3 fans? It is still coming out for PS3. If anything the sony exects might be upset but they probibly had the chance to pay for an exclusive and didn't want to.

Unless exclusive bragging rights is that big of a plus for PS3 fans I don't see why they should care.

My only concern is that they shitty down the game to make it easier on the 360 CPU or storage.
^^ That's why I'll probably stick with getting the PS3 version.

I think it's bad for people that were waiting for FF XIII to be released before getting a PS3.

XIII. Heh....

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2008, 04:38 PM

While I haven't played a Final Fantasy game ever -not the kind of game I like-, I think that this could be a smart movement… from SONY camp. "If" the 360 version is nowise near PS3 quality then people would be getting the feel PS3 is indeed better & more powerful than the XB360, one could argue 'maybe, but to XBOX-camp game is better than no game at all', I hear them but nothing beats '…but it is cooler and better on my PS3, come in and look it !!!', you have drawn a comparison and either you win or you lose. That's more powerful than no comparison at all.

"Your true value depends entirely on what you are compared with." (some wise guy)

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2008, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
While I haven't played a Final Fantasy game ever -not the kind of game I like-, I think that this could be a smart movement… from SONY camp. "If" the 360 version is nowise near PS3 quality then people would be getting the feel PS3 is indeed better & more powerful than the XB360, one could argue 'maybe, but to XBOX-camp game is better than no game at all', I hear them but nothing beats '…but it is cooler and better on my PS3, come in and look it !!!', you have drawn a comparison and either you win or you lose. That's more powerful than no comparison at all.

"Your true value depends entirely on what you are compared with." (some wise guy)
I don't see how. The systems are pretty equal in power. Sure the PS3 has more processing power, but the 360 has more graphics power. They really even out and most games look VERY similar on both systems, with only slight edges going either way depending on the game.

Really the only technical edge the PS3 has are the higher capacity discs and the ability to play Blu-Ray movies. Other than that there's no reason to think the 360 version will be any less than the PS3.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2008, 06:37 PM

I don't see how. The systems are pretty equal in power. Sure the PS3 has more processing power, but the 360 has more graphics power. They really even out and most games look VERY similar on both systems, with only slight edges going either way depending on the game.

Really the only technical edge the PS3 has are the higher capacity discs and the ability to play Blu-Ray movies. Other than that there's no reason to think the 360 version will be any less than the PS3.
The problem is games created for both systems are usually dumbed down for the 360 and then ported to the PS3.

I have played PS3 games like Drakes Fortune that blow anything on the 360 away.

You can bet the same will happen with FF. They will restrict the game to the amount of data that can fit on one or 2 DVD's, no hard drive cashing and take the rez down a bit just for the 360 and then port it over to the PS3.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2008, 07:16 PM

The problem is games created for both systems are usually dumbed down for the 360 and then ported to the PS3.

You can bet the same will happen with FF. They will restrict the game to the amount of data that can fit on one or 2 DVD's, no hard drive cashing and take the rez down a bit just for the 360 and then port it over to the PS3.
I've played Drake's Fortune, and IMO it doesn't blow anything on the 360 away. Yes it's a great looking game, but there are plenty of games on the 360 that look just as good.

And if the PS3 really is that much more powerful, why does GTAIV run in a lower resolution on the PS3 than on the 360???

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 14, 2008, 07:20 PM

I doubt the PS3 version will be a PORT since they've been working on a native one for two+ years now.

The 360 will be the port.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2008, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
I doubt the PS3 version will be a PORT since they've been working on a native one for two+ years now.

The 360 will be the port.
Perhaps, but being both versions are out on the same day who knows how long the 360 version has been in development. I DO suspect this is the reason it is over a year late to market.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2008, 08:26 PM

I've played Drake's Fortune, and IMO it doesn't blow anything on the 360 away. Yes it's a great looking game, but there are plenty of games on the 360 that look just as good.

And if the PS3 really is that much more powerful, why does GTAIV run in a lower resolution on the PS3 than on the 360???
OK what looks better that Drakes then?

As for the lower rez.... shitty port? The PS3 also has less popup, sharper and better colour.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2008, 09:24 PM

As for the lower rez.... shitty port?
Who's the fanboy now?

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2008, 09:41 PM

Seriously, that's just dumb.

And I remember a reason to still own a PS3 now the FFXIII is cross-platform:
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/07/14/mi...ge-e3-trailer/

God that game looks amazing.

Ozz_man
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2008, 03:04 AM

Never saw an option for "I own all three" but I own all three . My PS3 gets the most use. The Wii gets the less.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 15, 2008, 03:55 AM

Your logic there doesn't really follow. When a game is available for both systems and the PS3 version is visibly worse, that doesn't reflect on the PS3 at all. But when a game is only available on the PS3 and there's no fair basis for comparison on the 360 (i.e., it could well be that it's just an attractive game), that somehow proves the 360's technological inferiority?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2008, 10:24 AM

Well, I was just writing from a neutral point of view and -don't get mad about it- from an untrained point of view so to speak, I didn't even know the X360 had more graphics power -whatever that means- cause I really don't care that much about raw power, crystal clear graphics and so…

Anyway, they still can prove the PS3 being superior by filling up the Blu-Ray disc with plenty of cinematic sequences… how could the X360 answer that? jjj

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 15, 2008, 11:33 AM

The 360 version could use more discs and higher compression. That's one way it could answer Blu-Ray.
Chuck
___

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2008, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
The 360 version could use more discs and higher compression. That's one way it could answer Blu-Ray.
No game will be more than 2 DVD's and even then it is less than half of what a BR disk could hold.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 15, 2008, 12:10 PM

No game will be more than 2 DVD's and even then it is less than half of what a BR disk could hold.
Why not? FFVII came in three- and four-CD versions, and I don't think it hurt that game's popularity.
Chuck
___

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 15, 2008, 12:54 PM

Lost Odyssey is 4 DVDs. I have it.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2008, 02:58 PM

Wow, Nintendo's presentation was pretty lame. That Wiimotion plus thing is coming with a new Wii Sports game.

And Wii Music looks TERRIBLE.

Xoote
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2008, 03:08 PM

I voted for XBox 360 cause thats what I have. But I do want to try a WII
:)

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2008, 04:10 PM

Just checked out gamespot and it looks like the price of the 80G PS3 is going to drop to $399 in September. Makes me feel real good as I *just* bought the MGS4 bundle for $499. Ah well, the new set doesn't look like it has a game included so maybe its not so horrible.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2008, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
Just checked out gamespot and it looks like the price of the 80G PS3 is going to drop to $399 in September. Makes me feel real good as I *just* bought the MGS4 bundle for $499. Ah well, the new set doesn't look like it has a game included so maybe its not so horrible.
From Joystiq: "The newly priced 80GB system will have the functionality of "the current functionality of the 40GB PS3," according to Sony CEO Jack Tretton."

Guess that means PS2 games will no longer be able to be played on PS3 systems. Glad I got the 60 gig when I could.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2008, 04:50 PM

Yeah, at least the currently available 80gb has *some* bc. Also, its nice to have card slots and extra usb ports if you need them.

I'm excited about HD movie downloads though. Apparently, that will be available tonight.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2008, 05:01 PM

Looks like all they're doing is bumping the 40gig system up to 80 and selling that. But their reasoning for doing so was that the 80 gig system was selling better than the 40. Uh, hello? People aren't buying it for the hard drive...

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2008, 05:09 PM

God, why couldn't they just decide what to do about PS2 back compatibility from the start?

Nintendo had a strategy. Everything's compatible. Easy.

MS had a strategy. Hard drive required, games on the list are compatible. Almost as easy, and you always knew exactly where you stand.

Sony's been all, "Okay, backwards compatibility! We have that! Nevermind, no we don't. Okay, it's back! But it's only on a model that we're not really selling. Uh oh, we're selling out! I guess we're going to remove it again. Okay, no more BC guys!"

Seriously, if they had just said from the outset that there would be no BC it would be better than it is now. Might even help sell some extra PS2s.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2008, 08:32 AM

I agree, the going back and forth with various models having hardware compatibility, limited software compatibility and no compatibility has led to a great deal of confusion as to which model does exactly what. I'm sure its led to many returns. On another note, I went to the playstation movie store and it doesn't have many titles available and very few in HD. I guess it just started out so you have to give it some time. Still, would be nice to use my netflix account to download movies but it looks like the xbox360 might score them.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2008, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
I agree, the going back and forth with various models having hardware compatibility, limited software compatibility and no compatibility has led to a great deal of confusion as to which model does exactly what. I'm sure its led to many returns. On another note, I went to the playstation movie store and it doesn't have many titles available and very few in HD. I guess it just started out so you have to give it some time. Still, would be nice to use my netflix account to download movies but it looks like the xbox360 might score them.
No "might" about it - Microsoft announced that Netflix streaming will go live with the fall update. You will have to create your queue on your computer, but it will update on your 360 immediately.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2008, 10:37 AM

No "might" about it - Microsoft announced that Netflix streaming will go live with the fall update. You will have to create your queue on your computer, but it will update on your 360 immediately.
I wonder though--do you think that the movies that will be available for download via netflix on the xbox360 be the same ones that are now available to be watched instantly on the netflix website? If so, that is actually very few movies. On my queue of 195 movies on netflix only 15 are available to be watched online.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2008, 04:14 PM

That Nintendo music thing is actually painful to watch. Do they really think this is a good answer to all the guitar heros?

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2008, 04:50 PM

That Nintendo music thing is actually painful to watch. Do they really think this is a good answer to all the guitar heros?
It'd make more sense to me if Guitar Hero / Rock Band weren't available on the Wii. But since they'll be competing with the big boys I just can't understand their reasoning here. That game just looks awful.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2008, 11:31 AM

It'd make more sense to me if Guitar Hero / Rock Band weren't available on the Wii. But since they'll be competing with the big boys I just can't understand their reasoning here. That game just looks awful.
Apparently there are 50 instruments you can play. Each one requires a different key combo to change notes. For example to hit the left symbol when playing drums you have to hold down a button. Good luck remembering all that.

Not that it matters if you hot the wrong note though as there is no wrong in this game. It must be for retarded children for "everybody gets a trophy day".

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2008, 01:24 PM

Apparently there are 50 instruments you can play. Each one requires a different key combo to change notes. For example to hit the left symbol when playing drums you have to hold down a button. Good luck remembering all that.

Not that it matters if you hot the wrong note though as there is no wrong in this game. It must be for retarded children for "everybody gets a trophy day".
Have you seen the video of it in action? It's very hard to watch.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2008, 04:32 PM

Have you seen the video of it in action? It's very hard to watch.
No I'm scared that if I do I'll sell my Wii on the spot.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2008, 12:39 PM

Well, I finally voted, because I just ordered my 80 GB Metal Gear Solid PS3 online. It should get to my new house in NC right around when I do, so I can pop my spare 160 GB drive in it and hook it up right when I unpack my TV.

I decided to sell my Wii a while ago after hearing about how crippled Rock Band would be. The choice between Xbox and PS3 was kinda tough, but I guess ultimately Blu-ray clinched it. I know that online distribution is the future of hi-def video, but it seems like that's going to have its own little format war for a while, and renting plastic discs will continue to be the most dependable way to watch a lot of movies.

There are definitely some upcoming games that seem really exciting for the PS3, though. And I can actually get the missus to play videogames with me if I get some of the Tekken series.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2008, 10:03 AM

Ha!

C'est moi ?

Been vacationing for the last few weeks, and sorta outta touch, since ive been unwired the whole time. But yeah Nintendo's E3 showing was pretty dismal and disappointing. Motion+... meh. Wii Music.... wft meh. (never been into rhythm games, and this wont help bring me in).

Whats the new stuff from the Sony/Microsoft camps ?

Cheers

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 22, 2008, 12:05 PM

New interface that copies Cover Flow, and avatars that copy the Wii.

Ya know, the usual M$ stuff.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2008, 12:54 PM

New interface that copies Cover Flow, and avatars that copy the Wii.

Ya know, the usual M$ stuff.
I still love that people are crediting with Nintendo for inventing avatars now.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 22, 2008, 12:55 PM

They didn't invent them, but name another console that has the cell-shaded roundy characters you can create.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2008, 01:03 PM

They didn't invent them, but name another console that has the cell-shaded roundy characters you can create.
The computer since the 1980s?

Forum Links
Forum Rules