Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > FBI develops profile of "Terrorist Eating Habits"

FBI develops profile of "Terrorist Eating Habits"
AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 7, 2002, 06:21 PM

An article in <a href="http://www.popsci.com/popsci/science/article/0,12543,260388,00.html" target="_blank">July's Popular Science</a> discusses how we are all leaving 'digital DNA' scattered around as we live our lives. There is a lot of interesting information, although I'm pretty sure that most people on this forum are well aware of the kinds of eTrails we leave.

I noticed this interesting tidbit relating to 9/11.
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Meanwhile, Larry Ponemon, the CEO of Privacy Council, says that since September 11 he's been hired by at least one major supermarket chain to oversee the handing over to law enforcement agencies of the buying records of customers with specific ethnic backgrounds. The authorities requested the data, Ponemon says, because they were trying to compile a profile of "terrorist eating habits."</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">I hope I'm not alone in thinking this is a bit "over the top".

cdhostage
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2002, 06:28 PM

Why should I respect someone who chose the moniker Pokemon?

Oh, wait (rereading) silly.

I think it's pretty stpud anyonway.
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jul 7, 2002, 06:28 PM

Feh. Secretly trying people in absentia who've never even been accused of any wrongdoing, for no better reason than their ethnicity.

Still think the FBI isn't going too far?
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Jul 7, 2002, 06:44 PM

Freakin' Bumbling Idiots
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 7, 2002, 08:18 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">I don't understand this. You'd rather just let these people continue their reign of terror? I just want these idiots caught.

Millennium, when they knock on your door, then I'll say I was wrong. Something tells me you're just be severely paranoid.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

AKcrab  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 7, 2002, 08:58 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by starman:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">I don't understand this. You'd rather just let these people continue their reign of terror? I just want these idiots caught.

Millennium, when they knock on your door, then I'll say I was wrong. Something tells me you're just be severely paranoid.

Mike</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">If Millenium "eats like a terrorist" based on their supermarket profile, they can come knocking on his door. Eating like a terrorist does not a terrorist make. Talk about wasted resources...

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2002, 10:09 PM

i just want to know whats on the average terrorists shopping list.

frosted mini wheats?
half gallon of 2% milk?
couple fresh tomatoes?

do they really think this info is going to help them?

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2002, 10:29 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by starman:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">

Mike</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Are we going to profile people by the type of car they drive, or by the TV programs they watch, or any of a number of other possibilities? What's next? We're constantly reminded that terrorists are under our beds, by a government which is largely guided by a man who's family has a stake in military hardware manufacture! What will you do when they come knocking on your door? I don't know if you were around in the 1950s, when there was supposedly a communist under every bed; a lot of people's lives and reputations were ruined during the witch hunts, and they were ruined to satisfy the paranoid egos of a few nutcakes! I'm not saying we shouldn't be vigilant; but these constant warnings and alerts have yet to show any fruit!
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

rampant
Banned
Location: permanent resident of the Land of the Easily Aroused
Jul 7, 2002, 11:24 PM

Hah. The FBI will never catch me that way.

BlackGriffen
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2002, 12:28 AM

The real danger in this type of profiling is that they are essentially making benign behaviors illegal. If you get a knock on your door from the cops because of your buying habits, how long will you continue to shop that way? Police attention isn't legally supposed to be a punishment, but it is an unpleasant deterrent just the same. Have you ever read 1984? Do you remember what the girl in the red sash said (can't recall her name)? "You can do the big stuff wrong if you make sure to do all of the little stuff. That way you avoid drawing attention to yourself," or something like that. Do you want to live in a police state where you have to do all of the little things right to avoid drawing uncomfortable attention from the authorities?

BlackGriffen
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

ink
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2002, 01:13 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by KarlG:
[I'm not saying we shouldn't be vigilant; but these constant warnings and alerts have yet to show any fruit!</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">And yet there was endless criticizm that the administration "knew about 9/11" before it happened. I think we've gone over the line, but that this is a natural reaction to national threats. Much like the McCarthy-era stuff, this will oscillate until we reach an acceptable level of each side (but not without dialog like this, so keep it up!).

Subzero Diesel949
Jul 8, 2002, 01:33 AM

I think it's time the average Joe American wakes up and realizes that the government has evolved into a tyranny with these anti-terrorist measures as the Trojan Horse. What's to stop the FBI from knocking down the door just because you eat like a terrorist? It sounds ridiculous but let's really think about it. We are losing our rights left and right in the name of National Security and we're just nodding our heads because the bureaucrats are doing what's best for us.

ink
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2002, 01:59 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Subzero Diesel949:
<strong>We are losing our rights left and right in the name of National Security and we're just nodding our heads because the bureaucrats are doing what's best for us.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Actually, I hardly think people are just nodding their heads; my observations are that we're not doing that at all. There will be hell to pay at election time if some of this crap starts getting implemented at a draconian level (which is why I'm fairly confident that it won't). But at the same time, we should raise hell to make sure that it doesn't happen.

Cipher13
Jul 8, 2002, 02:10 AM

"Mr. Pop, do you know why you're here?"
"...cause I like curry..."
"Don't play dumb with us, Mr. Pop."

<small>[ 07-08-2002, 03:15 AM: Message edited by: Cipher13 ]</small>

rampant
Banned
Location: permanent resident of the Land of the Easily Aroused
Jul 8, 2002, 02:24 AM

"Why don't you play in the other room, Stewie."
"Why don't you burn in hell!"

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jul 8, 2002, 06:01 AM

</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">I don't understand this. You'd rather just let these people continue their reign of terror? I just want these idiots caught.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Life in exchange for the very thing that makes it worth living. You really don't see the bargain you're making, do you?

No one will be caught by this. It's completely absurd. Will you allow them to do anything for the illusion of safety? And that's all it is; an illusion. In the end, the government can't really do very much.
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Millennium, when they knock on your door, then I'll say I was wrong. Something tells me you're just be severely paranoid.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Even if I am, you're the same. The only difference between our respective paranoia is in its target.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2002, 07:51 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by BlackGriffen:
<strong>The real danger in this type of profiling is that they are essentially making benign behaviors illegal. If you get a knock on your door from the cops because of your buying habits, how long will you continue to shop that way? Police attention isn't legally supposed to be a punishment, but it is an unpleasant deterrent just the same. Have you ever read 1984? Do you remember what the girl in the red sash said (can't recall her name)? "You can do the big stuff wrong if you make sure to do all of the little stuff. That way you avoid drawing attention to yourself," or something like that. Do you want to live in a police state where you have to do all of the little things right to avoid drawing uncomfortable attention from the authorities?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">"all fathers are men, but not all men are fathers." i'm sure the point of the profile is to help locate known suspects using this additional information. i very much doubt it's the case that the FBI thinks that everyone who eats a particular food is a terrorist.

-r.

ringo
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2002, 09:28 AM

This is the silliest damn thing I've read for weeks. Taxpayers should be outraged that they're paying someone in the government to keep track of "Terror Food."

So what? If I eat couscous does that make me a terrorist? What about Count Chocula? Is he part of the supermarket conspiracy too because he has an foreign accent? Am I funding the IRA if I buy a box of lucky charms?

Stupid.

Forum Links
Forum Rules