Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Is Punk Music Really a Gen. X and Younger Thing?

Is Punk Music Really a Gen. X and Younger Thing? (Page 2)
residentEvil
Professional Poster
May 27, 2008, 08:59 AM

this plays a few times a week still on starz/encore...

AMERICAN HARDCORE || SONY PICTURES CLASSICS

again, as i posted above, the american hardcore scene was the best!

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2008, 09:04 AM

Emo came from a whole different "family tree", of sorts. I could go on for days, but Ill try and keep it brief..

early 70s early 80s. Lots of punk bands that started establishing that "hardcore" edge (incorporating a political stance) on the scene. See: bad brains, minor threat, government issue, black flag, etc.

Mid 80s sees the emergence of a band called "rites of spring" which brings a new amount of melody and emotional sensibility (first glimpsed, I would argue, in the second Minor Threat full length "out of step"), a new "singing" style, but keeps the punk/hardcore intensity. This spawns a bunch of DC bands like embrace, shudder to think, etc. Around this point (and for the next 10 years or so) the phrase "emotional hardcore" gets bandied about. "Emotional hardcore" spreads like wildfire. Tons of bands are touring playing basement shows, but never see a ton of popularity either due to the music still containing a pretty harsh edge or the fierce DIY ethic. See: Moss Icon, Still Life, Policy of 3, Current, ordination of aaron, swing kids, hoover, farenheit 454, etc etc.

Mid 90s saw a band called "the promise ring" get pretty popular. Looking at the hardcore family tree of sorts, they fit right in. They sound nothing like where they came from, but it all kind of makes sense just the same (they were a reaction to a reaction to a reaction, one band sounded like this, they sounded like that. Looking at the entire spectrum it's a dilution of a dilution, ad nauseum). This is even more ear-friendly pop type music, but definitely falls into that "emotional hardcore" vein. Well. Maybe not so "hardcore" anymore. The purists get jaded. The kids love it. Other bands mimic it. The labels pick it up. Fall out boy brought the stupid hairstyles. Rolling stone called it "emo". And bob's your uncle.

paul w
Mac Elite
May 27, 2008, 10:15 AM

There had to be some sort of evolution eventually. Most of us kids listening to hardcore were also interested in other music, some oif the seattle stuff, some metal etc. The punk thing was more an idea really - Fugazi kinda got it, as they were socially aware, sold their stuff cheap and so on. There were certainly those throwback Brit-punk types around but that was pretty marginal and not really the point.

Lots of kids were into the straightedge thing, a sort of post punk movement, without the nihilism.

These days, punk seems more like an affectation than anything else. A style, something to give you an identity.

I wonder where the music stopped being punk. Probably when I got sick of Sick of it All...

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2008, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I see no one got the joke.
Too believable.

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
May 27, 2008, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Kids these days don't have a clue about punk. Sex Pistols, the Ramones, and Fear, that's the stuff.
Fear's music has aged terribly.

Heck, Lee Ving is probably better known these days for MD.45, the obscure punk metal side project that he did with Megadeth's Dave Mustaine in 1996. (And Dave Mustaine has since replaced Lee Ving's vocals and harmonica on the one MD.45 album, The Craving, with his own vocals and guitar.)
inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 27, 2008, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
Too believable.
Ouch.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2008, 10:51 AM

In general, not on a personal level.

If I'm going to offend you, I'm going to make damn sure it was my intention.

Forum Links
Forum Rules