Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Please help-Airport Extreme suddenly only works with one of our computers

Please help-Airport Extreme suddenly only works with one of our computers
ClaraT
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 31, 2011, 12:53 AM

We had storms here and lost out cable service for a few days. Now for some mysterious reason I can only get one of our computers to connect wirelessly via Airport Extreme. Prior to these three days without cable both our Macbooks worked without an issue with AE.

I've spent most of the day running diagnostics, unplugging the cable modem and plugging it back in, restarting computers, unplugging AE., etc. I've checked if it's the cable modem or an issue with the company by successfully connecting with an ethernet connection and both Macbooks are able to get connection to the internet.

What's strange is that this morning the one computer that runs Snow Leopard was able to connect via AE, but now it can not and the other Macbook running Leopard which was initially the one unable to get connected wirelessly is now the only one that is working. Confusing I know.

Also I've noticed that in my list of networks (under the Airport symbol in the menu) the one I set up for use by any guests to our home is gone? Could this be related to the issue I've described here?

Why would suddenly one Macbook work and the other won't?

Thanks for your help.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 31, 2011, 07:27 AM

My suggestion would be to do a reset of the AE, followed by a reconfiguration. I'd also delete all network profiles related to the AE on your client computers to make sure you're starting fresh.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

ClaraT  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 31, 2011, 05:49 PM

Thanks Big Mac. Once our internet service is back on (yes, it's not working again) I'll do the reset.

Sorry, I'm not tech savvy enough to know what you mean by "followed by a reconfiguration" or how to delete the network profiles related to AE that you're referring to. Would that be in System Preferences?

When we first set up the AE it was ridiculously simple. I just plugged it in and viola! both our computers were working wirelessly.

Again, thanks.

ClaraT  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 31, 2011, 07:03 PM

Umm. . .so sorry Big Mac. I didn't realize you included the excellent resource in the link you provided in your original answer.

Looking forward to using the information.

Many thanks.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 1, 2011, 01:40 AM

No problem, Clara. Given that you're having general Internet connection problems, my advice now would be to turn both your modem and your AE router off for a while. Just unplug them both, Give both devices time to reset and see if that helps things at all. I did it after my router problems and things have been stable for me since then.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules