Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mouse freezes

Mouse freezes
ligux
Forum Regular
Oct 9, 2003, 06:30 AM

For the last two days , I am having problems with my Apple mouse. It freezes and to make it work again i have to unplug/plug it from USB/Keyboard socket to make it work.
Any idea, what might be wrong?
-Mac G4 867, 240Gb HD, +1gb Ram . OS9.2.2 and OS X 10,2,8
-iPod 10 Gb
-PB 12'' 1Ghz 768 RAM + AirPort Extreme OS X 10.2.8

ligux  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 9, 2003, 09:11 AM

Just checking it, found out that underneath the mouse, it has 3 different positions - + o , mine was - , and now I have change it into o. Hope this was the problem, though I cannot remember touching it before.
-iPod 10 Gb

RealMadrid
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 9, 2003, 09:25 AM

Sorry to burst your bubble but the adjustment underneath the mouse is to set the force needed to make a click.

Can�t help you with that.

BTW: Just ordered my PB 12' with extra 512 MB.
Check out www.basasoft.com products:
CodeLine (Do Cocoa programming in BASIC)
BasaOne 2.0
AFDragHandler 1.1
BasaOne Web Classes

ligux  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 9, 2003, 09:31 AM

Gracias vecino,

I thought that would help. I will keep waiting for some help.

By the way ordered in Apple, K-tuin or Hipermac, lucky you. I will order it as soon as I find out if I get the Panther with it. And it seems to be like that.
PD. Lo del SanSe no vale.
-iPod 10 Gb

RealMadrid
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 9, 2003, 10:37 AM

Off topic: Je,je wonder if somebody else around here knows what happend with SanSe.

Well finaly ordered the PB 12' in "Hipermac" (they are just around the corner). Found the prices to be exactly the same as K-tuin and AppleStore.

Didn�t ask them about Panther as I was the one to inform them about the release date :-( but as I understand from the Apple website if it doesn't come with my PB (which I hope) I will be able to order it for about 20 Euro. And that price is not worth waiting for another 2 or 3 weeks.
Check out www.basasoft.com products:
CodeLine (Do Cocoa programming in BASIC)
BasaOne 2.0
AFDragHandler 1.1
BasaOne Web Classes

ligux  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 9, 2003, 12:08 PM

This morning I rang Miguel Angel (Hipermac) just to ask him about the deal with Panther and he ask me to phone him back this afternoon.
Unfortunately, I forgot his mobile number at home (I am at work).
Anyway for accesories you should better check K-tuin , I think they have better prices than Hipermac.
-iPod 10 Gb

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 10, 2003, 01:42 AM

The Pro Mouse has a common problem where the mouse wire gets pinched and frayed where it enters the mouse. Some of the wires break, causing an unreliable connection, which makes the mouse crash.

See if wiggling the mouse cord where it enters the mouse makes the red light go on and off... if it does, that's your problem. Alas, it cannot be repaired, so if that is the problem, just go out and buy a new mouse (such as a Microsoft or Logitech mouse, which are both cheaper and of better quality than Apple's).

tooki

ligux  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 11, 2003, 08:07 AM

Thanks for that , and mainly for the better/cheaper option, the thing is that when it freezes, I keep having red light and it solves unplugging/plugging it back.
maybe stgh. to do with software?
-iPod 10 Gb

JSD303
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2003, 09:15 PM

I had this problem with a reflective desk/mousepad and the apple optical mouse (and others.) Unplugging the mouse reset it, but so did moving it over another surface. I've found that different lasers hate certain surfaces. The M$ optical mouse I have hates this black desk, but loves the faux wood one - vice versa for the Macally optical mouse I have. You might try just using a different mousepad, or testing it on another surface to see if you are having that problem.

JSD303

Forum Links
Forum Rules