Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Anyone here with a 15-inch PowerBook that does not have defects?

Anyone here with a 15-inch PowerBook that does not have defects?
Dave Hagan
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 13, 2003, 09:26 AM

So is there any one here who has a 15-inch PowerBook without any defects? I'm talking perfect in every way: battery life, screen, heat, backlight keyboard, etc.
Dave Hagan | Apple Certified Technical Coordinator | iMac G5 1.9GHz | PowerBook G4 1.5GHz | Power Mac G4 933 MHz

agentmouthwash
Forum Regular
Oct 13, 2003, 09:29 AM

My Powerbooks is perfect. No problems what so ever.. The battery life isn't as long as I would of liked, but It is not a defective model.
10.2.8 fixed some if it and Panther will give it more life.

I have a 15" G4 Powerbook 1.25 with a 5400 hard drive and 512 ram.
Powerbook G4 1.25GHZ

BluThng
Oct 13, 2003, 09:37 AM

Mine is perfect too.

I oreder BTO Education right after the keynote.

I love it soooo much! It's my little baby.
iN THe eND, iT DoeSN'T ReaLLy MaTTeR

| PowerBook G4 | 15.2" | 1.25GHz | 512MB | Combo | 60GB | AE | BT |

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 13, 2003, 09:39 AM

Originally posted by Dave Hagan:
So is there any one here who has a 15-inch PowerBook without any defects?
Yeah. But it's a Ti, so that's probably not the answer you're looking for

dmcnickle
Senior User
Oct 13, 2003, 10:00 AM

I have a new 15" Al 1.25 and it is perfect.
I even took out the ram it came with and added 2 512MB chips. No problems.

MacsGalor
Senior User
Oct 13, 2003, 10:01 AM

I have none, perfect

slimmy
Forum Regular
Oct 13, 2003, 10:09 AM

my 15" Al has no defects (screen, latch, or other).

Slim

s0litude
Forum Regular
Oct 13, 2003, 10:39 AM

Me too, i don't want to jinx it, but i have had no problems with mine, except that I've been spending waaay to much time on it, basically neglecting everything around me.
Hi!

pptiger
Oct 13, 2003, 10:44 AM

Mine is perfect too. Now I become to believe at least 90% powerbook are perfect.

naevity
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2003, 11:15 AM

Mine is perfect too, its been running great for the week ive had it. Its my first mac and im having a great time.

i think he reason it seems like so many are broke, is because those who get the ones with problems are the ones who are most vocal. I dont beleive its near as high as it may seem from reading the website.

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 13, 2003, 11:15 AM

My new 15" 1GHz model is perfect. I get about 3 hours out of my battery (only an hour less than my Ti) and the screen is flawless. It is every bit as snappy as my DVI PowerBook and on big tasks I definitely feel an increase in speed.

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2003, 11:21 AM

Mine has none of the issues reported here. Ordered the day after the keynote and delivered three weeks ago. The battery life is not as good as my old Ti but that's a design issue, not a defect. I still prefer the case of the Ti but I have to admit, this machine is far better mechanically. The fan has yet to kick into high, and overall operation is much quieter (both the hard drive and the optical drive are quieter than the Ti). I'm very happy with it.

janmc
Oct 13, 2003, 11:22 AM

"i think he reason it seems like so many are broke, is because those who get the ones with problems are the ones who are most vocal. I dont beleive its near as high as it may seem from reading the website."

God I hope so!

hseikaly
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2003, 11:35 AM

My machine came in perfect condition... no white spots, no dead pixels, no latch problems...

the only thing i see is the space between the base and the screen when its closed... sometimes i rattles... but I'm not even sure that's a real problem because I'm not bothered by it.

that is all.

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 13, 2003, 11:46 AM

My 1.25 is perfect. Picked it up the day after the keynote at the apple store.

-matt

dennis88
Forum Regular
Oct 13, 2003, 12:22 PM

Mine is also perfect!

johnpg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2003, 12:52 PM

Mine seems perfect as well. No white spots, no dead pixels (although I haven't run one of the test programs to verify), latch is fine, etc. Trust me, after reading all of the complaints I checked and double checked to make sure! :-)

I have had a few kernel panics and other crashes though, but I can't really decide if that's a hardware problem, or just software. I have the stock 512mb (two 256mb sticks). I'm honestly afraid to try a ram upgrade after hearing all the horror stories.

The only other problem I've noticed, and this is not related to the Powerbook directly as it happens sometimes on my desktop, is Bluetooth. Bluetooth will sometimes not work after a restart. I will have to shut down (power off) and then start up again to get it back. This really drives me crazy as I have the wireless keyboard.

But really other than the few kernel panics (at least one of them caused by me plugging and unplugged my USB speakers several times while playing a song in iTunes) the unit seems good.

Cheers,
John

slider
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2003, 12:53 PM

1.25Ghz, 1GB ram, combo drive. No probelms here, amazing screen and getting 3.5 hours with automatic power saving.

Edit: Forgot to mention I have the 5400rpm 80GB HD.
( Last edited by slider; Oct 13, 2003 at 03:07 PM. )

ownersbox
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2003, 01:07 PM

Mine was prefect also however my Trackpad was broken, I sent it back for repairs. Should get it back sometime later this week.

I must say after being a long time laptop user from Compaq to an iBook, this is by far the best laptop I have ever owned. Putting the fluke of my trackpad aside I have never seen a better built system! It feels strong and easy to manage. I love mine and really sad that I had to return it.

NightEyes
Forum Regular
Oct 13, 2003, 01:29 PM

Perfect 15" AlPB here too. Purchased the day after the keynote at a local Apple Store.

iomatic
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2003, 01:35 PM

No problems; 15" 1.25Ghz.

Craig Turner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2003, 01:52 PM

I received my 15-inch on Oct. 9, I ordered on Sept. 24.

I'm absolutely pleased with this PB model. My Pismo is now being handed over to my wife who will use it for client presentations.

This 15-incher is so quiet and fast. Lovely screen (no spots). Although Airport reception in my home is not quite as strong as the MacSense card I have in my Pismo, having the Airport card completely internal is a big advantage.

I love the keyboard, very responsive and the sound is very quiet. HD (5400 80 Gig BTO option) is superquiet compared to my Pismo's IBM 20 Gig.

After initially clearing and charging the battery, I'm getting around 2 1/2 to 3 hours, estimated. I'm happy with that.

Dunno why there are complaints about the latch/lid mechanism; it is simply different from my Pismo and I have no problem with it.

This is one very satisfied and happy Apple user.

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2003, 01:53 PM

Originally posted by johnpg:
I have the stock 512mb (two 256mb sticks). I'm honestly afraid to try a ram upgrade after hearing all the horror stories.
i bought two 512MB sticks from Crucial and have had no trouble. Buy from a reputable seller and you should be fine.

babajazz
Forum Regular
Oct 13, 2003, 02:39 PM

yes.

Rand
Forum Regular
Oct 13, 2003, 02:53 PM

boy is it nice to see some optimism around here. Apple really does produce a pretty fine product.

romanesq
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2003, 03:22 PM

15" 1.25, stock 4500 hdd. No problems at all. Help my breath as when I first logged in just waiting for something and then it logged into software update. I debated whether to go ahead, (last Wednesday) but said well it seems worked out and so went ahead.

The systems runs very fast from what I can see. 2.5 hours on the battery, which who knows may improve with more ram than 1/2 gig and the soon to arrive Panther.

It is such a beautiful computer and runs so well. Didn't even hear the fan until the third day.

Latch works fine, screen is great - checked with two programs and the only thing I noticed after a couple of days is the lid is a little unbalance when closed. Being that it needs a buffer between the screen and keyboard, it hardly concerns me.

Airport in my condo (1200 sq. ft) is amazing. Placed a Netgear MR314 wireless router in a middle room and the whole place is covered with max reception. (There's no lead in my walls.) It is much better than the Dell notebook that I had brought home from the office.

This is the best computer I've ever been on or owned. I was as crazed and hopeful for G5s in the notebook but I will not regret having this computer for a long time. Bring on Panther.
Well, aye hearrrrr you

Maccelerate
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2003, 03:33 PM

Shipped Sept. 29th, stock 1.25 GHz specs.

Good battery life. Heat diminished by about half once I switched the default "Highest" performance in the Energy Saver to Auto. Keyboard is the most solid and flattest keyboard I've ever used in an Apple Portable. Screen is bright and uniform.

I can reproduce the location of the reported white spots on the screen by *gently* pressing on the top cover. The wave or liquid effect is created in the exact same locations as those of multiple images I have seen. This HAS to be a spacer or case stiffener behind the LCD. Again, mine has no problems. A perusal of Apple's repair docs does not even show the LCD unit disassembled. They must be replacing it as a whole unit.

Are these "perfect" machines from a 1st run of manufacturing?

betoranaldi
Oct 13, 2003, 03:44 PM

ordered a 15" Superdrive model on 9/17 recieved it 9/23 everything is great, absoultly love the machine but have one "abnormal (blue) pixel" in the upper lefthand corner, it took me 10 days to realize i had a bogus pixel

Oneota
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2003, 08:08 PM

My 1.25 GHz AlBook has no problems whatsoever (other than a propensity for throwing a kernel panic whenever I unplug the power adapter, which is either 3rd-party-RAM related or software-related, and Panther will be here soon).
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Sandbaggins
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 13, 2003, 08:15 PM

BTO: 1.25GHz, 512Ram, SuperDrive, 5400 80gig HDD.

No problems, just a great machine.

And now that it qualified for the Panther upgrade its even better
15" 1.25/512/80/5400/SD/AE Aluminum Powerbook

93TT
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2003, 10:17 PM

Mines perfect as well.
15" PB 1.25Ghz
14" PB 266Mhz
Biege 333Mhz

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2003, 10:19 PM

Perfect. . . no problems what so ever.

bscott433
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2003, 10:32 PM

My 15" is perfect in every way. I've checked the screen several times, HD is quiet, optical drive is quiet. Latch has worked perfectly. I'm getting ~ 3:30 with airport on, bluetooth off, web surfing.
Backlight is the best thing I've seen on any laptop.

BTO: 1.0G, 60G, 768M (added a 512 from OWC), backlit keyboard, Airport, Combo Drive.

Now just waiting on Panther. (I qualified with a 9/20 order date)

Montanan
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 13, 2003, 11:21 PM

My 15" AlBook is utterly perfect, as is the identical model recently received by a good friend of mine. So far, my new Powerbook promises to be the best computer I've ever had.

As I continue to read the PowerBook forum here, I'm becoming more and more convinced that an extremely strong majority of the new PBs have no quality problems whatsoever. What we're seeing here is a relatively small number of issues being posted again and again by a small number of disaffected purchasers ... a few of whom are displaying increasingly trollish online behavior.

bstone
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2003, 11:27 PM

My 1.25ghz 15" PB works PERFECTLY fine. No complains!!!
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

dcsmrgun
Oct 13, 2003, 11:44 PM

I just got my 1Gig 15" in. Absolutely flawless so far. Not one dead pix (not that I looked very hard), no white spots. In fact, the only hiccup I can report in my first hours of use is when I tried to register with Apple, the submission wizard got stuck in a loop trying to "disconnect" from their site.

I tell you what, though. For the last few days I was sweating bullets, thinking that when it got here, the screen would be full of dead pixels, surrounded by white halos. The mind can conjure up horrors that you can't even begin to imagine.

oooohan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2003, 12:08 AM

My first BTO 15" had the white spots problem out of the box, but my replacement so far has been perfect.

Ryan1524
Senior User
Oct 14, 2003, 12:25 AM

as been said many times before, nobody ever posts "hey, my powerbook's perfect." people only post when they have a problem and need solutions.
Ryan

macxtal
Oct 14, 2003, 12:54 AM

p e r f e c t

Forum Links
Forum Rules