Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PB link to G4 machine

PB link to G4 machine
ligux
Forum Regular
Oct 31, 2003, 07:49 AM

Is there somehow I can link my PB 12" with my G4 867 machine in order to get files from G4 Hds into PB?
-Mac G4 867, 240Gb HD, +1gb Ram . OS9.2.2 and OS X 10,2,8
-iPod 10 Gb
-PB 12'' 1Ghz 768 RAM + AirPort Extreme OS X 10.2.8

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2003, 08:32 AM

Originally posted by ligux:
Is there somehow I can link my PB 12" with my G4 867 machine in order to get files from G4 Hds into PB?
Of course you have a couple of options, get a cross over cat-5 cable, turn on apple talk (ifs its not already turned on) and connect to the ibook (or vis-versa) then copy to your hearts delight.

Another option is to hook the pb to the pm using a firewire cable and starting one of them up in tartget disk mode either pressing the T or option T on startup, I forget which one.

I think the firewire option will be quicker, conversely you may not need a ethernet cross-over cable, a regular cat-5 cable might work. I think most newer macs can sense that there's no hub/switch and communicate propperly w/o it.

Good Luck

ligux  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 31, 2003, 03:38 PM

Thanks , I will try and let you know.
-Mac G4 867, 240Gb HD, +1gb Ram . OS9.2.2 and OS X 10,2,8
-iPod 10 Gb
-PB 12'' 1Ghz 768 RAM + AirPort Extreme OS X 10.2.8

xylon
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 31, 2003, 05:26 PM

Originally posted by Maflynn:
Of course you have a couple of options, get a cross over cat-5 cable, turn on apple talk (ifs its not already turned on) and connect to the ibook (or vis-versa) then copy to your hearts delight.

Another option is to hook the pb to the pm using a firewire cable and starting one of them up in tartget disk mode either pressing the T or option T on startup, I forget which one.

I think the firewire option will be quicker, conversely you may not need a ethernet cross-over cable, a regular cat-5 cable might work. I think most newer macs can sense that there's no hub/switch and communicate propperly w/o it.

Good Luck
Any old regular ethernet cable will work. As for speeds, I'm not entirely sure which one is faster, but they're both plenty quick.

^Thanks to sealobo
Viva le ScrollWheel!

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2003, 06:21 PM

Ethernet on the 12" PowerBook is 100 megabits per second, versus 400 megabits per second for Firewire.

Also, for Firewire Target Disk mode - this basically turns the computer into an external hard drive for the other computer. Connect the cable, shut down the one you want to act as the external drive, and then start it up while holding down the T key. It should show up as an external drive on the other computer. You can drag files between them, and it's very fast. And the setup is, IMHO, easier than using file sharing.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Forum Links
Forum Rules