Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > port fowarding

port fowarding
kramer3380
Jul 7, 2007, 03:59 PM

I am trying to use a bitTorrent program and I have no idea how to do the port fowarding so i can get faster downloans. can anybody explain how i can do this?

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 7, 2007, 07:04 PM

Sure-just let us know what modem and router you are using. They're all a bit different.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

liquidsilver6840
Forum Regular
Jul 7, 2007, 07:17 PM

I have the same problem here.. I have a Zyxel Prestige 623 modem... Any help would be appreciated!

MacBook 1.83Ghz Core Duo / 1GB RAM / 60GB HDD
iPod Nano First Gen 1GB Black

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 7, 2007, 07:27 PM

You're going to hate me-you really are. Port forwarding for the Zyxel P 623 is explained (quite well) starting on page 6-5 of the user guide.

liquidsilver6840
Forum Regular
Jul 7, 2007, 07:38 PM

Apparently I'm a noob at this because I don't understand a thing.

MacBook 1.83Ghz Core Duo / 1GB RAM / 60GB HDD
iPod Nano First Gen 1GB Black

kramer3380  (op)
Jul 11, 2007, 07:04 PM

I know that my wireless router is a linksys. thats really all i know.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 11, 2007, 09:29 PM

So what specifically do you want to do, including what application(s) you want to do it with? A lot of what you're not understanding is just terminology (there's an old quote "95% of any specialty is nomenclature"). If we knew what you were trying to do, we could show you where to go and what the words on the screen mean.

And we'll need to know WHICH wireless router you have. It's probably one of the WRT54G variants, but which one is important.

kramer3380  (op)
Jul 12, 2007, 06:02 PM

I am trying to use a torrent program and was told that i needed to open port fowarding for faster downloads. The name of the bitTorrent program is Azureus, i dont know if that helps you at all. Im not sure which type of wireless router i have, all I can tell you is that it is a linksys. I tried using this one web page to guide me through but the page wasnt up to date and i didnt know where to go so i just went back and changed everything back to the way they originally were. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 12, 2007, 08:15 PM

Open your browser and enter "192.168.1.1" in the address bar, then press Enter. You'll get the login screen for your router. Unless someone has changed it (and by the way you're talking nobody has touched it), the user name is blank (don't enter anything) and the password is "admin" (without the quotes). The screen that comes up will be the main screen for your router, and it will tell you both which model you have and what version of its firmware is running. Most of the time this is in the upper right corner of the screen.

Get that info and let us know what it is, and we can get started. Azeureus is a well known program and the ports you need to forward will be easy to look up. However, you may simply need to OPEN a port or ports rather than forward them-it depends on which router and a few other things. We'll get you squared away once we know which router you're using.

kramer3380  (op)
Jul 16, 2007, 11:02 PM

the name of my router is WRT54GSV4. i really appreicate ur time by the way.

Forum Links
Forum Rules