Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Weighing iPad vs. Touch + Kindle

Weighing iPad vs. Touch + Kindle
selowitch
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2010, 09:01 PM

Assuming I can get my hands on an iPad this Saturday (4/3) at a nearby Apple Store, I'm going to be deciding between an iPad (likely the 16GB or 32GB Wi-Fi only version) on the one hand and an iPod Touch (16GB/32GB). If I choose the later, I will also be purchasing a Kindle to cover my e-Book reader needs.

The iPad is exciting but I don't like the likelihood that I'll have to rest/support it somewhere all the time; that it could be destroyed easily by my toddler (whereas the Touch and Kindle are more easily stowed out of her reach); and that I can't easily take it with me to places the grocery store where I can consult my price-comparisons and lists, etc.

Thoughts?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 29, 2010, 03:18 AM

I think in your situation I'd go for the iPad simply because I'd rather have one large device than one small plus one large device to carry around. In my experience a gadget is only worthwhile if you always have it with you. Having several (larger) devices to tote around is simply impractical and chances are you'll not always take both with you.

reader50
Administrator
Mar 29, 2010, 02:04 PM

Weights

25.6 oz iPad 3G
24 oz iPad
10.2 oz Kindle
4.05 oz iPod Touch

danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 29, 2010, 05:07 PM

If the iPad has a halfway decent reader it will be a very good contender for an ebook reader. The best? No.

I'm a Kindle fanatic and have all three readers. (original, v2, dx). I have a 32g iPad showing up on Saturday (just received shipping notification and tracking # today - coming all the way from Shenzhen, China, believe it or not.

I used to really believe that the Kindle was the best and could not be topped... until I downloaded the Kindle Reader for my PC and my Mac. Then I realized I just don't care too much about the device - it's all about the book for me. Yes, it is easier to carry a Kindle around vs. a laptop. But if I have a laptop, why bring the Kindle some might say. I say, depends upon how you use it. I travel a ton so will probably always have the Kindle. It's lighter and easy enough to carry around. The Kindle has a better screen (designed for reading) than the iPad or a computer. The Kindle absolutely smokes anything else out there on battery life.

But I still got an iPad coming. Why not? If it will let me email, web browse, and read books, and have some handy iPad apps, why not?

Like everybody else on the planet, I'll post more next week.

cgc
Professional Poster
Mar 29, 2010, 06:20 PM

Why is it possible to stow the Kindle and iPod out of reach of your toddler but the iPad cannot be? I assume they are all just as easily placed out of reach...if so, I'd get the iPad though I've heard rumors the Kindle may get some browser support...

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 29, 2010, 06:33 PM

I was wondering about the same thing, cgc. I'd think the iPad would be just as stow-able as the Kindle.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2010, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by cgc View Post
Why is it possible to stow the Kindle and iPod out of reach of your toddler but the iPad cannot be? I assume they are all just as easily placed out of reach...if so, I'd get the iPad though I've heard rumors the Kindle may get some browser support...
Good question. I'm only speculating, but it seems to me that finding adequate space on a high bookshelf for the iPad is more of a chore than for the iPod Touch or Kindle. My wife has a Kindle, and with its neoprene case it's actually survived falls from the coffeetable and even some abuse from the aforementioned toddler. My wife is very eager to share her Kindle books with me, and I also suspect that the Kindle is a little easier on the eyes than the iPad will be, and lighter in weight. The Kindle does one thing and does it well, and for the price of a 32GB iPad WiFi ($599), I can afford both the Kindle ($259) and an iPod Touch 32GB ($299) and have a little change left over and I'm not confined to the couch. I predict I would use the iPad for things my iBook G4 does already: check e-mail and calendar, use TextWrangler and Transmit, run iTunes, etc. (using alternate software since iPad runs the iPhone OS and not Mac OS X).

From my point-of-view, the last pocketable device I owned was a Palm Pilot, so the Touch seems like a massive, exciting upgrade to me. Its battery life outstrips the iPhone, and in any case I make few calls. I don't like the idea of having to support the iPad all the time on my knee or in my hands, and the few new capabilities the iPad brings (watered down iWork, for example) don't particularly excited me (at least not until I get my hands on one). I really don't see myself lugging my iPad to the grocery store to check my lists, coupons, price comparisons, etc. which is actually a pretty important function for me.

The Kindle appears to be a pretty tough device. I don't know if the iPad can make the same claim.

On the other hand, I'd love to whip out an iPad to all the ooohs and aaahs at my next meeting. :-)

KIndle dimensions: 7 1/2” tall x 5” wide by .7” thick
iPad dimensions: 9.56" tall x 7.47" wide by .5" thick (Wow, iPad is actually thinner!)

For my lifestyle, I predict the iPad or Kindle would mostly stay at home for use on the couch, while the iPod Touch would travel on my person wherever I were to go. I know that's not what everybody would do, but that's how I see it for me.

danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 30, 2010, 07:48 PM

The kindle is nowhere near .7" thick.

More like:

Kindle v2: 8" x 5.3" x 0.36"
Kindle DX: 10.4" x 7.2" x 0.38"

auto_immune
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 30, 2010, 09:35 PM

Why bother with the bulk of an iPad or a Kindle? I have the 32 GB iPod touch and use the (Amazon/Kindle) Kindle for iPhone app. It works great and is ultra-portable.

danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 30, 2010, 11:18 PM

A voracious reader already knows the answer to your question. Most "readers" (as in the guy that reads 2-3 books a week) isn't going to want to read a book on an iPod Touch.

Before you say it's cool for you, remember I said most.

gangster
Forum Regular
Apr 2, 2010, 12:51 AM

kindle dx $399, kindle 2 $249, both around may 1

will this change peoples minds?
( Last edited by gangster; Apr 2, 2010 at 12:58 AM. )

danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 2, 2010, 06:47 PM

Maybe. Maybe not. I'm a book junkie and while I think the Kindle is way cool (have v1, v2, dx, plus the Mac & PC versions) (uh, i'm a tech junkie too - got an ipad on the way as well), Amazon makes their money by selling books not selling devices.

I've probably spent $1700 on the devices - including the iPad - but have easily spent twice that on books from Amazon. Have no idea if I fit the common profile of an ereader, but I spend at least $100/month at Amazon on books.

rambo47
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2010, 11:33 AM

As an avid e-book reader, I'm sticking with my Kindle DX all the way. My DX has incredible battery life, and as good as the iPad might be for a tablet it's not going to match the 3-5 days on a charge I get with my DX. I also get a free connection to Amazon.com with my Kindle DX. That means buying books anywhere, any time. You pay extra for an AT&T connection with the iPad.

I may get an iPad to compliment my Kindle, but as an e-book reader I'm sticking with the Kindle.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Apr 3, 2010, 10:38 PM

Kindle is still the better ebook reader, which isn't surprising since it's a one-trick pony and that's it's thing.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 3, 2010, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
You pay extra for an AT&T connection with the iPad.
No, you don't. Not with the WiFi version.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Krusty
Professional Poster
Apr 4, 2010, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by selowitch View Post
Good question. I'm only speculating, but it seems to me that finding adequate space on a Kindle would mostly stay at home for use on the couch, while the iPod Touch would travel on my person wherever I were to go. I know that's not what everybody would do, but that's how I see it for me.
My first impression is that I'm in agreement. I got to play with an iPad just before closing of the local Apple Store on my way home last night. Great device, beautiful and unbelievably fast and responsive UI (almost spastic and jerky in how quickly it responds to your touches and pinches). However, It's just too big for me to really carry around the way that I carry my iPhone. The thing I love (and sometimes hate) about my iPhone is that is always in my pocket and I'm able to communicate information (via phone, sms, email along with getting instant info from web, google maps etc) at any time. The iPad looks like a much better viewing and experience but only if you have it with you

So, I think Apple has created a new category of device here. It's just a category that I'd describe as "semi-sedentary". You will probably have it with you more often than you would a laptop but it's not ever-present like the iPhone or iPod touch.

Edit: I will add one thing. There are a lot of iPhone and iPod Touch users out there but there are a whole lot more that don't have one. If you have never experienced usage of either, the iPad will absolutely knock your socks off. If you primarily use a computer for web surfing, social networking, email etc, the iPad will be a legitimate better (and cheaper) solution for you than a laptop.
( Last edited by Krusty; Apr 4, 2010 at 10:33 AM. )

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 4, 2010, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Weights

25.6 oz iPad 3G
24 oz iPad
10.2 oz Kindle
4.05 oz iPod Touch
How much does a hardcover book weigh?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Apr 4, 2010, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post
How much does a hardcover book weigh?
1-20lbs, depending on the book. After messing with my wife's iPad, I have to say that it's not bad for browsing but it's too heavy.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

solofx7
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2010, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
1-20lbs, depending on the book. After messing with my wife's iPad, I have to say that it's not bad for browsing but it's too heavy.
hmm...
I got the 64gb version.
I have to admit that it feels more than 1.5lbs, but I prefer that to not having the high quality Apple feel.
iMac 27inch 3.4 i7 16gb ram, MacBook Air 11 inch i5 128gb, iMac 27inch 2.8 i7 8gb ram, MacBook Pro 17 inch 2.66 i7, 4gb ram 500gb HDD Seagate XT,
iPhone 4 - Time Capsule 2tb, Apple TV - iPad 2 64gb

freudling
Banned
Apr 5, 2010, 08:34 PM

For reading, you might actually want to cycle through both devices. The Kindle/Sony eReader... those are way lighter. As for the Sony Touch Reader, it is significantly thinner too.

Reading on the iPad is good in low light conditions, or at night. But in well lit environments or direct sunlight the eInk displays are way better. And easier on your eyes too. So with Kindles and Sonys, they are lighter and better in well light environments, where the iPad is better in low lit environments. It's a trade off.

And holding the iPad for long periods of time it's going to get/feel much heavier than eInk Readers. Also, battery life on the eInk Readers is much better.

So I guess what I am saying is both platforms have their pros and cons and that there may be a place in the world for both of them, as we slowly but surely migrate away from paper over to tablet computers.

Here's a real world example of where the iPad is worse than eInk Readers for reading.

Your in Mexico at a resort, and you want to do some reading on the beach. Have fun with the iPad because the screen has far too much glare, and the LCD does not look good in direct sunlight. Even if you have shade, it still won't look that great compared to the Kindle or Sony eInk displays. eInk displays look superb in these environments and are so much easier on your eyes than LCD screens. And the battery life and lightness factor will really show their true colors after a day of reading.

Here is an example of where the iPad makes for a better eReader than eInk Readers:

You're sitting on your couch at night and reading a book from the iBooks Store. Your in a low lit environment and the room is pretty dark. The LCD is superior here because of the built-in backlight. It would be very difficult to read an eInk screen in these lighting conditions. The solution in this situation regarding eInk Readers is to have a reading light on the device itself. But those are cumbersome and don't work that well.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 6, 2010, 05:17 AM

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 6, 2010, 07:37 AM

Having played with one, I wouldn't buy an iPad as an ebook reader. It's as annoying to read as a laptop (ie. not for extended periods) and it's a bit heavy.

Mind you, the Kindle is useless for anything except ebookness of course.

taldrich
Apr 12, 2010, 04:50 AM

Likemost of the posters here, I am an avid ebook reader. I have the Kindle, Sony, and now, the iPad.

My initial conclusion is that, unless you spend a lot of time of the beach or by the pool (and I'm in England, so you can guess the answer to that one, in my case), then the sheer versatility of the iPad is a winner.

I think the Kindle is great but the interface is about the level of the old MS Dos. The e-ink wins outside, but inside, the variable screen brightness function means the iPad has some advantages.

For now, Hallelujah, Apple and Amazon allow me to read my books on both........an extended test will determine the winner!
"most people are fools, most authority is malignant, god does not exist and everything is wrong" - Ted Nelson

Forum Links
Forum Rules