Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Xfer Files From One Partition to Another Changes File Size

Xfer Files From One Partition to Another Changes File Size
moggy
Apr 18, 2001, 10:59 PM

Hey everyone,

I finally got my copy of X and I'm getting ready for the installation. I heard that X needs to be installed on the hard drive that came with my computer (G3 - Yosemite), so that means I need to do some major rearranging. Anyways, I'm moving the contents of one partition which is 5 gigs to a different partition and all a sudden the same files are 6 gigs now. So I tried moving Adobe Acrobat individually from its original place which is 9 mb. I move it to the other drive and now it's 20mb. I delete the original copy, no change. But if I move the new copy back to its original drive, it suddenly changes back to 9mb. I tried copying that 20mb one to a different drive and then it's 13mb! What the hell is going on?

Can anyone help me out? Thanks!

| G3 Yosemite | 256 MB | OS 9.0 |

G5 Dual 2Ghz UNF UNF

oscar
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 18, 2001, 11:46 PM

My bet is one partition is HFS and one is HFS+
The blocks on these disk can be VERY different, and thus the resulting file size, would be different.
The size in parenthesis should always be the same though.

[This message has been edited by oscar (edited 04-18-2001).]

moggy  (op)
Apr 18, 2001, 11:49 PM

A little birdy told me that I need to make sure all of my drives are HFS+ (Mac OS Extended). Of course, 3 of the 5 were not. Time to do some reformatting.

I hope this is not clutter and could possibly help someone. I found out that Mac OS Standard (you can find out by Getting Info on a drive) files are larger than when they are on Extended drives.

Peace.

G5 Dual 2Ghz UNF UNF

moggy  (op)
Apr 18, 2001, 11:50 PM

Thanks Oscar!

That was good timing. Amazing how if I have a problem someone always instantly helps out. These forums truly are great.

-Moggy

G5 Dual 2Ghz UNF UNF

Forum Links
Forum Rules