Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12" PB Quality Poll

View Poll Results: Rate your 12" pb's quality
Poll Options:
It is perfect! 39 votes (52.00%)
There are one or two minor faults, but I still love it! 26 votes (34.67%)
There are more than two faults, but it's not too bad 8 votes (10.67%)
There are many problems and I regret buying this. 1 votes (1.33%)
Ford Pinto quality; it is waiting to blow up. 1 votes (1.33%)
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll
12" PB Quality Poll
Dubloseven
Forum Regular
Mar 6, 2003, 09:47 PM

i'm looking forward to getting my 12" pb in the next week or so, but i've been seeing lots of complaints lately about quality. is it because the only ones talking are the people with messed up ones, and the satisfied owners are staying quiet? anyways, heres a poll to find out about the quality of the 12" pbs.

BkueKanoodle
Senior User
Mar 6, 2003, 11:02 PM

bump diddle bump dee do
15" Macbook Pro 1.83 2 GB RAM
Blackbook 13.3 Powerhouse 2 GB RAM
MacMini Dual Core 2 GB RAM (Sadly running Windows Most of the time)
Numerouse Workstations running windows and Linux. Sorry don't have the specs, I don't pay much attention to them anymore. :)

iDriveX
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2003, 11:41 PM

Is no backlit keyboard a fault? If so then that's why I voted that it had one or two faults...

Version 4.0 - Now Powered By iWeb

JVB_2112
Mar 6, 2003, 11:52 PM

For the people that are posting faults, could you please indicate the faults you have encountered?

Thanks,

JVB
G5 Dual 2.0 GHz 1.5 GB RAM
ThinkPad T40 1.5 GHz 512 MB RAM
Palm Tungsten | T3
RIM Blackberry 6750
iPod 20 GB

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 7, 2003, 12:28 AM

A better question to ask might be:

"Does your 12" PowerBook have a defect that will require you to either return it for a new unit or send it to Apple for repair?"

That would produce more useful results, IMO.
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

Homan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2003, 01:38 AM

That's a great point. I've yet to find the perfect portable.

Originally posted by chrisutley:
A better question to ask might be:

"Does your 12" PowerBook have a defect that will require you to either return it for a new unit or send it to Apple for repair?"

That would produce more useful results, IMO.

Dubloseven  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 7, 2003, 07:35 PM

bump

finalfantasy
Forum Regular
Mar 7, 2003, 09:02 PM

whats bump mean?

adamflybot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2003, 10:07 PM

I voted one or two minor faults.

The only problem I have is that it wobbles. It doesn't really bother me. This was definately the right choice to buy. I love it!

Malaclypse
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2003, 11:21 PM

Alright I am buying one tomorrow based upon this poll and yes I have read all about it here and on the Apple boards but GOD DAMN it is just such a sweet machine.

Mack
Forum Regular
Mar 8, 2003, 02:32 AM

Mine is perfect. Seriously. Bright screen, no dead pixels, great keyboard, silent HD, no latch or fan problems. Best computer I've ever owned.

claughery
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 8, 2003, 07:22 AM

Perfecto here!
Dual 1.8 G5, 23" cinema oldschool, PB 1.5 ghz 12" SD, iBook 1.07 Ghz, mac mini 1.42, iPod mini, iPod photo 40gb, SE K700i

vivekill
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2003, 08:04 AM

Originally posted by Mack:
Mine is perfect. Seriously. Bright screen, no dead pixels, great keyboard, silent HD, no latch or fan problems. Best computer I've ever owned.
Don't want to come off sounding like an idiot, but I've heard the term "dead pixels" thrown around discussion boards left and right and was wondering what exactly they are? The reason I ask is because I've long assumed them to constitute something that would occur through long term use(i.e. a portion of the screen blacked out), but I've recently noticed many people commenting on the lack of dead pixels with reference to their new Al Books. Are dead pixels something that can be expected on arrival of a new machine? If so, what the hell are they? Maybe I am missing something here?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 8, 2003, 08:15 AM

Dead pixels are to be expected, even on new hardware. TFT monitors are enormously difficult to make - in effect, you have three transistors for EACH PIXEL on your screen (one each for red, green, and blue). For a 1024x768, that's 2.3 MILLION transistors.

Manufacturing defects are bound to happen. Either the pixel simply won't work (remain black = dead), or one of the three transistors will be stuck "on", so you get a tiny red, green, or blue pinprick (= stuck pixel). Individual pixels can also die over time, so a TFT monitor can eventually develop more and more stuck or dead pixels. These can sometimes be literally massaged back to life, but often not.

Apple pay a premium for TFT monitors, so they get a lower tolerance than other manufacturers. Hence, their replacement policy is (I believe) more than three dead pixels. Other brands won't replace for less than five or even ten pixels.

-s*

rambo47
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2003, 09:14 AM

Mine's perfect. I bought one of the first lot to ship, back when all the dealers got an initial shipment of 3 units each.

oogje
Mar 8, 2003, 09:39 AM

minor faults:

12" combo - lid latch either doesn't retract all the way or if it does, it doesn't come out and latch easily. Very minor and it doesn't bug me and I'm confident I could fix it if it did.

12" sd - slight bowing of lid such that when it's closed the right side rubber foot doesn't not quite touch the base. Very minor, doesn't bug me and I'm confident I could fix it if it did.

I highly recommend them. Even if you get one with a problem you can have it replaced/repaired pretty painlessly especially if you get it directly from Apple. Get AppleCare too.

ber

Malaclypse
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2003, 05:32 PM

Just got back from the Apple store in King of Prussia, PA and no problems at all. The battery is flush so no wobbling. No warping at all just perfect, the trackpad button is fine no issues. Booted up fine and running great.

Forum Links
Forum Rules