Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > ipod battery replacement

ipod battery replacement
coregraphics
May 2, 2003, 03:41 PM

Has anybody had to replace a battery in an ipod due to it crapping out? And if it was out of warranty what did you do? Have you even ran into this problem?

cougar337
May 2, 2003, 07:00 PM

I haven't tried myself but I found this at ipodlounge:

"Experienced iPodders will already be aware that the iPod's Achilles heel may be its battery. The battery loses power after a number of charge cycles, yet is not user-replaceable. Previous reports have always suggested that the battery (a 3.7 Volts 1500 mAh Sony UP325385A4H) was manufactured exclusively for Apple, and that it cannot be purchased except through Apple. This would not matter over-much, except that battery replacement requires the iPod to be returned to Apple for repair or replacement, and if your one year warranty is over, this will cost a reported $250 - not far short of the cost of a refurbished iPod. "

here's the link:

http://www.ipodlounge.com/faqs_more.php?id=101_0_10_0_C

derekn
Senior User
May 3, 2003, 05:58 PM

Took me a bit to find this again but I finally did. LOL

http://www.ipodding.com/modules.php?...ticle&sid=1084

There's a link to a place in there that sells the iPod battery (PDA type one) for $50. It includes instructions and a screwdriver for getting the iPod open.

Forum Links
Forum Rules