Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Formac Displays

Formac Displays
mac_addict415
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2003, 10:11 PM

I am interested in getting a formac display when I order my G5. I was looking into the 1900. Does anyone know anything about this display?

Is the 1740 better?

Should I get it DVI or ADC?

Thanks
( Last edited by mac_addict415; Sep 21, 2003 at 09:44 PM. )

MisterRogers
Forum Regular
Sep 21, 2003, 06:16 PM

hey mac_addict415. I own a Formac 2010 - plan to use it with my G5 Dual. I love this display! No bad pixels, quick response, great color, incredibly bright, overall, work that I paid, and I bought it when it just came out at $1699.00. I think it's around 1200.00 now. The only thing is, Formac is not known for good service, and I've had my share of experience with this. They're not always as helpful as they should be, considering the price of their products. If you keep after them though, they'll make it right. I've been using an Apple 20in display for the last couple of months with my PB17, and I happen to bring up the 2010 the other day on another Mac. The Apple display is awesome, but the shapeness/brightness of the Formac is even slightly better.

mac_addict415  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2003, 07:42 PM

Thanks. After looking around other forums I did notice a lot of people saying Formac has terrible customer service. I wish i could afford the 2010, but I'll be lucky if i can get the 1900.

Anyone know any LCD's at most $700-800

Thanks

CJM
Forum Regular
Sep 21, 2003, 08:32 PM

you can get the 20" formac display for $999 right now, direct from their website. If you can't go this high, i'd probably go for the 17" at $499. The 19" model is larger but has the same resolution as the 17" , so you won't be getting any more useable screen space than you would with the 17.

mac_addict415  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2003, 09:43 PM

After hearing about their customer service I'm a little turned away. How does the 17" Apple Studio Display compare.

Any other good monitors out there?

I did hear the samsung 172T was really good?

Thanks

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2003, 10:44 PM

Just buy it from someone like ecost.com or something that has it for $999 and get a warrenty for like $10 extra on it from them. No problems with my now 1.5 year old 1740.

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2003, 11:43 PM

the 1740 is the nicest display I've ever owned, and I've never had a problem with it. Their implementation of ADC is actually nicer than Apple's IMO.

ckohler
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 23, 2003, 06:20 PM

In what way is their ADC any different?

InterfaceGuy
Senior User
Nov 17, 2003, 06:40 PM

Anyone have a pic of the 2010 in use? I've seen the Apple 20" and it looks very nice. The specs of the Formac look better though and I'll save money because I don't have to buy the ADC->DVI adapter for my PowerBook. What is the response time on the Apple 20"? I can't find it anwhere.

InterfaceGuy
Senior User
Nov 24, 2003, 04:28 PM

I'd like to see a pic of the 2010 in use. I really feel like the pic on the Formac site is misleading. They make it look like a widescreen. I took the pic below in Photoshop and scaled the 16x12 res down and there is no way it fits.

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2003, 11:46 AM

It is not wide screen ratio as you can see..but its HUGE so it doesnt' really have to be...it displays true 1600x1200. The Apple 20" is the same width but not nearly the same height.

Basically you get more area at the bottom or top for tool bars etc while working on in Final Cut etc.

I absolutely love my Formac 20" LCD..have had it for 9 months now....the only issue is its so bright that you have to design "down" a bit so that photos will still display correctly on dimly lit Apple displays.

InterfaceGuy
Senior User
Nov 25, 2003, 12:20 PM

Originally posted by NYCFarmboy:
It is not wide screen ratio as you can see..but its HUGE so it doesnt' really have to be...it displays true 1600x1200. The Apple 20" is the same width but not nearly the same height.

Basically you get more area at the bottom or top for tool bars etc while working on in Final Cut etc.

I absolutely love my Formac 20" LCD..have had it for 9 months now....the only issue is its so bright that you have to design "down" a bit so that photos will still display correctly on dimly lit Apple displays.
Thanks for the pics. Is everything included in the box that you need to hook to an ADC or DVI computer? For now I would be using it with my PowerBook but I hope a G5 is in the near future.

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2003, 01:43 PM

Originally posted by InterfaceGuy:
Thanks for the pics. Is everything included in the box that you need to hook to an ADC or DVI computer? For now I would be using it with my PowerBook but I hope a G5 is in the near future.
I just unpacked it from the box and plugged it in..

As to which to get..the ADC or DVI? I'm not really sure which will work on your laptop...I'm sure if you called Formac and asked they would tell you which one to get.

I have a suspicion prices might drop further. Apple is due for a refresh on their LCD lineup..and a 30" LCD is rumored to be coming soon. If in fact they do come out with a 30" LCD I plan on buying on. But..thats just the nature of technology. I paid almost 2k for my formac. The same moniter now is 1,200..MUCH less than I paid! So I think you are getting a great deal either way!

InterfaceGuy
Senior User
Nov 25, 2003, 02:43 PM

Originally posted by NYCFarmboy:
As to which to get..the ADC or DVI? I'm not really sure which will work on your laptop...I'm sure if you called Formac and asked they would tell you which one to get.
I don't think its an either-or now. The specs say Interface: Formac Display Connector (DVI and ADC) and in package contents it says ADC-to-DVI cable.

I'm not going to have the money to purchase until end of January anyway. So, hopefully by then Apple will have released their updates to help with my choice. As things stand now I'd rather have the Formac.

joe
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2003, 09:43 AM

Sorry for the late reply I'm very interested a 20" Formac display for my G4 Cube via ADC port (GeForce3). But I was wondering what resolutions are available. The PDF spec from Formac's site lists 3 resolutions (1600*1200, 1024*768, and 800*600). I'm sure I'd be running 1600*1200 99% of the time in Panther - that's what I run now with my 19" Iiyama CRT. But there are times when I drop back for the odd game or older app. Is there any support for the missing resolutions? If so, does it apply to both OS9 and OSX?

Also - some questions for ADC users: Does this monitor require external power when using an Apple ADC graphics card? Or is it similar to using an Apple display (1 cable handles power, graphics, USB). And can the touch buttons on the Formac be set to work the same as Apple's ADC monitors (Power on/off/sleep, prefs)? thanx.....joe

motti
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 10, 2003, 05:10 PM

It isn't easy to find the Formac displays on display. I like touching and having a personal look at things before i buy them.. We used to have SGI flat panels at work, so I went to their website and there's only one 18" display:
http://www.sgi.com/peripherals/displays/f181/

unfortunately , there's no price mentioned.

TiDual
Forum Regular
May 26, 2004, 07:35 AM

I thought I'd bump this discussion.

I have the Formac 20", and it is excellent. I'd highly recommend this, also the 17.4" is good (bought a couple for my group).

I then saw a deal on the 19" Oxygen (white bezel, not platinum) for 650 Euro, so thought I'd get some (2xDVI and 1xADC). First point: the Oxygen version is cheaper than the Platinum ... the white bezel looks rather "cheap", the warranty is not as good, and the bad-pixel threshold is higher (though none of the displays I received had bad pixels.

NOW THE MAIN POINT:

When connected to the DVI output of my AluBook (15" rev.A) or my Dual 2Ghhz G5, the image quality is not good. I get the kind of "color shifting" you often need to adjust on CRTs (text with fuzzy edges, etc.) but can't adjust on a TFT. Strangely, when I connect the displays to an (new + hi-spec PC) which has DVI out, the image is excellent. Why does the Mac do such a bad job of driving the display?

I'd be grateful for any suggestions. The Mac recognizes the display, and used the appropriate profile, so not sure how to improve things.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Mar 6, 2005, 09:28 AM

Bump!

I posted the other day that the color on my old CRT has become extremely erratic. LaCie says a gun is dying. I was going to replace it with a 20" Apple, but when I looked at one, I was very disheartened by the widescreen.

So I think I am going to get a Formac 2010 Gallery Extreme. Anybody want to try to talk me out of it? This is a lot of money for me to drop on something like this.

Oh, and I am not buying the Dell. Sorry.

Brian McHale
Mar 7, 2005, 02:16 PM

...it displays true 1600x1200. The Apple 20" is the same width but not nearly the same height.
Actually, it should be obvious that this statement is not true. If both are 20" and one is 4:3 while the other is 16:10, the wider one is going to be, well...wider. The resolution of the Apple 20" is 1680x1050; it's wider, but shorter.

When I was shopping last year, I considered both and wasn't really sure which aspect ratio I would prefer. I ended up going with the Apple and am very glad I did. I work with a lot of music (scores as well as recordings) and the extra horizontal space is great!

I think you have to take a look at what your more critical tasks are to determine which would be better for you. For most people, I suspect they'd both work just fine, but some tasks definitiely favor one ratio over the other.
Brian

Madrag
Senior User
Oct 26, 2005, 05:38 AM

I am considering a Formac 1900 Platinum, and after reading some reviews (very hard to find!), I think it's a good choice in terms of money and quality (a cheap good monitor, DVI

anyone have any complaints about the formac displays?

Forum Links
Forum Rules