Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > powermac g5 help

powermac g5 help
Minch_Yoda
Oct 28, 2004, 12:46 AM

i am in high school right now and my parents made me a deal that if i save up for my own computer they would pay for half as long as i could get a computer that would last 4 or so years
ii plan on going to university to learn graphics design and stuff like that and maybe a little bit of video editing
i plan on getting a stock 1.8 dual g5 only with a upgrade of 128mb 9600 radeon upgrade instead of the 5200ultra and il slowly upgrade the ram and that within the next few years
how long will it last as a good or decent machine

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2004, 02:16 AM

A dual 1.8 should last you at least 3 years if not more on what you wanted to do. I don't see any problem(s) to that. Only thing you would have to overcome is that for the next 3 years, computers will get faster and faster for video and other editing, so to you, it seems like your computer is getting slower and slower, but the reality is that your computer speed is the same speed as always. So, it'll really all in your mind later on in the future. Overcome that, than you'll be fine. Dual 1.8 is more than enough for what you want to do. I know people still edit videos and musics on their 1 GHz G4 Powerbook still. You can always add more ram later on to max it and memories will only get cheaper as time goes by too. Video cards, that can also be upgraded as well, so you can still speed up your Power Mac in the future doing that, adding more ram and upgrading your video card to keep up with the newer Power Macs in the coming years.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

Leonard
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2004, 10:13 AM

I'd have to agree that a G5 dual 1.8 should last you 3-4 years for Graphhics design work and a bit of video editing. If you do some FPS gaming, you may have to upgrade the video card in 2 years.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Mafia
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2004, 10:55 AM

ya just upgrade as time goes along. when i say upgrade i mean with storage, ram, and video cards. this machine will definitely last you
http://www.mafia-designs.com

echosphere
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 28, 2004, 04:32 PM

I just bought a dual 1.8 myself. I was about to get the 20" iMac G5, but since owning a Pismo I'm leary of not being able to upgrade the GPU, so I opted to go the PM route. I hope that this machine will satisfy me for at least 2 years, at the very least.

I figure come Tiger, I'll upgrade the GPU. Then add in a second HD for storage, speed up the Boot HD to a 10,000rpm. And then add RAM as it become cheaper.

Definately the best path. I just need to give the machine a name now...

Hey Mafia, how's the Raptor drive working? Is it your Boot HD? Loud at all?
I'm from the government and I'm here to help

Mafia
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2004, 10:34 PM

Originally posted by echosphere:
Hey Mafia, how's the Raptor drive working? Is it your Boot HD? Loud at all?
ya its my boot drive. FAST! osx boots up in like 10 seconds i also install my apps on it and they launch and respond super fast. its not really that loud. i am not sure but i really don't notice it except when osx is first launched and i automatically click on ichat, mail, safari, irc program, and newsfire.
http://www.mafia-designs.com

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2004, 12:13 PM

Originally posted by Mafia:
ya its my boot drive. FAST! osx boots up in like 10 seconds i also install my apps on it and they launch and respond super fast. its not really that loud. i am not sure but i really don't notice it except when osx is first launched and i automatically click on ichat, mail, safari, irc program, and newsfire.
a way to make any SATA mac speed up significantly, especially if you're doing Video or lots of file writing is to do this... System / Appls on the main drive, and all files and user data on the other drive... then you have an effective 150mbs highway of data to your system, vs the 60-70 on one drive.
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

Minch_Yoda  (op)
Oct 29, 2004, 01:07 PM

do you think in 4 or so years there might be g5 cpu upgrades like there are for g3's and g4's because if so that saves so much time thinking about this cause i could upgrade it later to
oh and by the way whats taking g5 cpu upgrades so long i thought companies would love to make these they would sell like crazy
i also heard one company was making one once but that was when the 1st came out so i dont see it happening

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2004, 01:37 PM

Originally posted by Minch_Yoda:
do you think in 4 or so years there might be g5 cpu upgrades like there are for g3's and g4's because if so that saves so much time thinking about this cause i could upgrade it later to
oh and by the way whats taking g5 cpu upgrades so long i thought companies would love to make these they would sell like crazy
i also heard one company was making one once but that was when the 1st came out so i dont see it happening
It is worthless to make a G5 upgrade for a G4... the bus speed on the G4 would cripple the chip... G4s peaked at a 167mhz bus and g5s run with a bus at 1/2 the clock speed of the cpu... it'll never happen.

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Minch_Yoda  (op)
Oct 29, 2004, 05:30 PM

Originally posted by DeathToWindows:
It is worthless to make a G5 upgrade for a G4... the bus speed on the G4 would cripple the chip... G4s peaked at a 167mhz bus and g5s run with a bus at 1/2 the clock speed of the cpu... it'll never happen.
what about g5 to g5 upgrade like if i buy a dual 1.8 now could there be a upgrade to up it to 2.0 or 2.5 or what ever is avalible then

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2004, 07:32 PM

Originally posted by Minch_Yoda:
what about g5 to g5 upgrade like if i buy a dual 1.8 now could there be a upgrade to up it to 2.0 or 2.5 or what ever is avalible then
Possibly... it depends on how the G5 is attached to the board... if its on a daughterboard, yes its possible - otherwise not a chance

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Minch_Yoda  (op)
Oct 29, 2004, 10:41 PM

i went to everymac and all the powermac g5's said: Processor Upgrade: G5 Daughtercard
so does this help chances of seeing g5 upgrades?

dabigdawg
Nov 1, 2004, 05:55 PM

yes - with the processors on daughter cards then it makes it more of a possibility.
"It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice!"

15"/1ghz Ti/1gb/powerbook Panther
----------------------
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 10gb Ram 2TB discs with ATI 1900xt
----------------------
iMac Grape 333 256Ram 6gb

iSight, iPod Video 80 gb

Forum Links
Forum Rules