Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > 'Fast' themes for ShapeShifter ??

'Fast' themes for ShapeShifter ??
Steve I
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 17, 2005, 09:35 PM

I'm using a G3 iMac 350 and was thinking using ShapeShifter + plain theme might help speed things up.

I know dev. on Duality has stopped and their was a plain theme with this that had this effect.

.. also any that kill shadows / compatible with unsanity's ShadowKiller ??

cheers for the help.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2005, 09:46 PM

Shadowkiller is a good start. Default aqua is your best bet. Shapeshifter will work but it might slow things a wee bit.

eatinwokout
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 18, 2005, 01:50 AM

yeh why not stick with the defualt aqua?

siMac
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2005, 03:19 AM

You have two options speed-wise:

Fast - Aqua
Less fast - Any SS theme.

I am typing this on an iMac G3 350 running SS using the Good Grey theme, and there isn't much of a performance hit.

Using VolumeLogic, however...
|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

Anubis IV
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 18, 2005, 09:19 PM

You could probably also manually replace the theme elements in your system so that you don't get the overhead that SS has (even though it's minimal and essentially limited to whenever you boot applications), but the downside is that it's risky and rather tedious. Other than that, leaving it as Aqua is probably the way to go. Killing the shadows as was pointed out works well too.
"The captured hunter hunts your mind."
Profanity is the tool of the illiterate.

Komisar
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2005, 09:53 PM

SiMac.... You made unity on a 350 mhz imac... impressive

MaxPower
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 18, 2005, 10:44 PM

I haven't noticed too much of a speed difference. And I liken the speed increase I perceive to the placebo effect. However, if you are dialing into your mac via VNC, you can definitely notice a change in responsiveness. If you are doing the remote acces thing, then I'd say go for any of the flat themes, like Cappucino. Othewise, I wouldn't expect too much.

siMac
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2005, 03:16 AM

Originally posted by Komisar:
SiMac.... You made unity on a 350 mhz imac... impressive
Actually Unity was made on my iBook 700, but that's fried now.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 19, 2005, 02:39 PM

If you already had a theme you were using send it my direction and I'l probably be able to code you something up real quick to apply a simple theme file based.

colin.cornaby (at) mac.com

SS uses application patching so it'll probably give you a speed hit.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

siMac
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2005, 03:00 PM

Originally posted by goMac:
I'l probably be able to code you something up real quick to apply a simple theme file based.
Could take a while though, and may never appear at all.

Anubis IV
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 22, 2005, 04:47 AM

If you already had a theme you were using send it my direction and I'l probably be able to code you something up real quick to apply a simple theme file based.
Be careful about offering things like that...you may get more people taking up your offer than you intended

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 22, 2005, 02:08 PM

Originally posted by Anubis IV:
Be careful about offering things like that...you may get more people taking up your offer than you intended
Sorry I disappeared for a bit. I'm taking Data Structures, Chem, and Microeconomics this semester along with an insanely hard Calc course. CS majors don't have much spare time.

A few days ago I put together a lil app just to read a theme and change to it file based. It's pretty much done using ThemeKit 2.0 and authentication and everything, I just need to finish the Aqua restore code.

Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Anubis IV
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 23, 2005, 03:28 AM

Now THAT is something I'd be interested in...

And you don't need to tell me...I polished off Calc 3 last summer and am working on Discrete Math right now, along with an Intro to Digital Design (basically an intro to computer engineering designed for CS majors), Database Design, and Programming Language Design. Loads of fun, but loads of work...

I really need to pick up some programming jobs on the side though...the one or two times I've done that I've learned just as much as any class has taught me, and it was far more applicable.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 23, 2005, 06:02 PM

Originally posted by Anubis IV:
Now THAT is something I'd be interested in...

And you don't need to tell me...I polished off Calc 3 last summer and am working on Discrete Math right now, along with an Intro to Digital Design (basically an intro to computer engineering designed for CS majors), Database Design, and Programming Language Design. Loads of fun, but loads of work...

I really need to pick up some programming jobs on the side though...the one or two times I've done that I've learned just as much as any class has taught me, and it was far more applicable.
I'm taking Data Structures this semester which is entirely taught in UNIX. So I had my Powerbook out in class and the prof started to poke fun at me for using a Mac. You should have seen the look on his face when I told him it was running UNIX.

I'm a Freshman this year but I skipped the Freshman programming, so I was taking CS204 last semester, which is essentially Programming 2. One interesting thing here is that all engineers are expected to know programming/UNIX, no matter what kind of engineering. The second intro to engineering course is actually a UNIX course, so all engineers here have to know UNIX. CS majors don't have to take the 2nd intro to engineering course because we learn UNIX programming anyway in CS273.

HellionNecrosis
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2005, 11:32 PM

wow, and to think all i do is operate equipment that the US government can not even afford to buy, but rent and that's coming str8 out of high school. You guys talking all that math, hell I can barely do pre-algebra!

CJM
Forum Regular
Feb 10, 2005, 04:56 PM

any progress on this app?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 10, 2005, 05:15 PM

Originally posted by CJM:
any progress on this app?
I can post it, but it doesn't save themes that have been brought in from session to session yet. Is that ok?

CJM
Forum Regular
Feb 10, 2005, 07:37 PM

I can post it, but it doesn't save themes that have been brought in from session to session yet. Is that ok?
ok

AveTenebrae
Feb 10, 2005, 10:33 PM

ok

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2005, 11:29 PM

OK, I put it up on my iDisk, along with the source. I don't have the time to upkeep such a project, so if someone wants they can continue it. My screen name is goMac2500 if anybody wants to hit me up about the inner workings of the theme framework its based on.

The one other catch (and its a biggy) is only the Extras.rsrc will theme. The program will import all application skins, but it won't apply them. The reasoning is building a Aqua backup properly could be a decent amount of work (but if anyone is up to, feel free to). I could lift some source from Duality 4, except it may not even work anymore. Aside from the Aqua backup, everything else is in place for app theming. Also be aware that there is no security code. This is one of those two hours projects.

Finally, in order to import themes, unzip the guiKit of your choice with guiKitty, and add the resulting folder into the program. DLTA support is a simple thing that only requires a few lines, so if someone wants that it can be done.

So, heres the link:

http://homepage.mac.com/gomac/Motorway.zip

Here is a link to the source. It's comment free, and the authentication code is kinda messy, but most of the program is very clear and easy to read without comments:

http://homepage.mac.com/gomac/MotorwaySource.zip

Again, sorry I haven't coded more support for stuff. I've got another project going taking up most of my coding time.

CJM
Forum Regular
Feb 13, 2005, 08:31 PM

OK, I put it up on my iDisk, along with the source. I don't have the time to upkeep such a project, so if someone wants they can continue it. My screen name is goMac2500 if anybody wants to hit me up about the inner workings of the theme framework its based on.

The one other catch (and its a biggy) is only the Extras.rsrc will theme. The program will import all application skins, but it won't apply them. The reasoning is building a Aqua backup properly could be a decent amount of work (but if anyone is up to, feel free to). I could lift some source from Duality 4, except it may not even work anymore. Aside from the Aqua backup, everything else is in place for app theming. Also be aware that there is no security code. This is one of those two hours projects.

Finally, in order to import themes, unzip the guiKit of your choice with guiKitty, and add the resulting folder into the program. DLTA support is a simple thing that only requires a few lines, so if someone wants that it can be done.

So, heres the link:

http://homepage.mac.com/gomac/Motorway.zip

Here is a link to the source. It's comment free, and the authentication code is kinda messy, but most of the program is very clear and easy to read without comments:

http://homepage.mac.com/gomac/MotorwaySource.zip

Again, sorry I haven't coded more support for stuff. I've got another project going taking up most of my coding time.
Well i downloaded it, ran it ... and nothing happens It won't even launch

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 14, 2005, 02:48 PM

Originally posted by CJM:
Well i downloaded it, ran it ... and nothing happens It won't even launch
I'll check it over if I have time. I only have one OS X machine here so I'll see if I can just scan the code.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 14, 2005, 02:58 PM

Alright, found the problem. It looks like Motorway isn't linking to the ThemeKit framework inside of it. I'll have to fix this later.

A quick fix is to download http://homepage.mac.com/gomac/ThemeKit.framework.zip , unzip it, and drop it in /Library/Frameworks or ~/Library/Frameworks.

You also need that framework to build from source.

CJM
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2005, 08:03 PM

Alright, found the problem. It looks like Motorway isn't linking to the ThemeKit framework inside of it. I'll have to fix this later.

A quick fix is to download http://homepage.mac.com/gomac/ThemeKit.framework.zip , unzip it, and drop it in /Library/Frameworks or ~/Library/Frameworks.

You also need that framework to build from source.
Cool it works now, thanks. Any idea why when using this to apply Siro it would make all the menu bar text blue???

Forum Links
Forum Rules